3.1 autokick cheating

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
crass
Trained
Trained

3.1 autokick cheating

Post by crass »

lets say that player A cheated with 500000 power and the game shows 2+2=5 to everyone and cyp said that you need to look at the logs to know what is going on by comparing them

why must people do that if the game already knows which person caused 2+2=5 and so they should be autokicked?

since it don't do that and as long as player A is still in the game it will keep going out of sync and there is no recovery mode to reset the faulty player to what everyone else has right?
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: 3.1 autokick cheating

Post by aubergine »

Autokicking could be troublesome - eg. what if it's a false positive? Maybe instead a console message could be sent to all players stating what the problem appears to be, this would do two things:

1. Make the (possible) cheater realise everyone knows they are doing something wrong
2. Allows host to make a considered decision as to whether to kick the player
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

I believe the is already the player number beside the 2+2=5 icon.

Crass : The desynch might come from other sources. Even if theoricaly we should all have the same power, what if the compiler I used round 965+11.4+3.4 to 979 instead of 980 like all other players have ? Should I be kicked from the game and treated as a cheater ?
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

The 2+2=5 icon just informs that the players listed next to the icon are in a different universe than you. This is only possible if there's bugs in the game, or incompatible versions (modifying the client to add power counts as intentionally introducing a bug/incompatibility).

If someone adds 500000 power, you can just ignore it, since the tanks they think they built with that power can never affect you in any way, anyway.

The 2+2=5 icon doesn't indicate cheating, it's just triggered by failed attempts at cheating, where the cheater expects the game to try to actively do its very best to help the attempted cheater to cheat, like 2.3.9 actually does. It's not that 3.1 tries to prevent cheating, it's just that 3.1 doesn't literally try to help cheaters like 2.3.9 does. If Warzone was Chesszone, then in 3.1, adding an extra queen to your board locally wouldn't change the chess board on the other client (why should it..?), but would trigger a 2+2=5 alert to warn that a bug happened. But in 2.3.9, it would automatically send the extra queen, the other clients would log that they seemed to be missing a queen and had to add it, and would teleport pieces around randomly for no good reason.

There's a chance of false positives, where the difference doesn't really affect the main game state, for example, if the only difference between the different universes is the spelling of one of the player names, or something like that. In the case of trivial differences, the universes might converge again, and the 2+2=5 icon might disappear.

The compiler you use doesn't round power differently, unless it's really really bad at integer arithmetic. In 3.1, there are no floating point numbers which can affect game state, only integers/fixed point.

I've played many 3.1 games, and it seems the only time the 2+2=5 ever appears is when different players have different maps (same issue in 2.3.9), or when a player drops (just figured out what caused it, and finally fixed it), or when one client suddenly hallucinates that it has 5454545 power.
Wisler
Trained
Trained

Post by Wisler »

No cheats= Epic warzone :)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.

Pm me to try out for RBL.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

No Cheats = Epic anything :lol2:
crass
Trained
Trained

Post by crass »

Iluvalar wrote:I believe the is already the player number beside the 2+2=5 icon.

Crass : The desynch might come from other sources. Even if theoricaly we should all have the same power, what if the compiler I used round 965+11.4+3.4 to 979 instead of 980 like all other players have ? Should I be kicked from the game and treated as a cheater ?
yeah I know but I don't see a reason not to kick them unless it is a bug
Giani
Regular
Regular

Post by Giani »

Of course cheaters should be kicked from games...
But having something to autokick cheaters will kick players that aren't cheaters, because of desynch(and other reasons?). That is what Cyp and Iluvalar mean.
My maps: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501