Nuclear reactors

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
2_Late
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Nuclear reactors

Post by 2_Late »

Solar Paint for the win! :P Basically the ultra pure silicon needed for the panels it too costly so someone found something else that can be mixed in with paint and still generate the power:)

I'm still back to no way I'd use such a thing or tolerate one in my theater of operations. Aside from wiping out the theater of operations I'm still back to the lingering EM making electronics and/or electronic communication very hard or impossible to use. It worse then a like warhead. It's basicly a sign post saying "I'm here and there is nothing you can do about it with annihilating your self in the process."(...oh no...I'm turning green! I don't much care if dangerous stuff is used, I'm just practical about it's use. ) Don't like the "install-antenna-to-power-base-due-to-EMF-generated-by-gamma-rays" idea? :P

What about MHD? Just don't ask me how that works yet, I just know it exists :)
NucNut
Trained
Trained

Post by NucNut »

Well, it's just that we got off doing EM Radiation in our Physics class, and if you've ever tried to build a crystal radio, you'll know how hard it is to pull power out of the radio waves. You need a HUGE antenna and a solid ground connection, plus, if the ground you're building the power generator on is also irradiated, you'll have the equivalent of two antennas feeding into your generator, not an earth and an antenna

If you REALLY want a cheap way of using the debries from the collapse to generate power, use the heat given off by irradiated materials in a Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator (RTG, Check Wikipedia for more info), they're the power choice for ddep space probes such as voyager andMariner. The russians also used them to power numerous unmanned lighthouses during the cold war.

That's also another thing that really bugged me. The Laser Satellites. The power requirements for arming and firing a laser THROUGH the atmosphere would be ludecrously high, and i don't think the piddly little solar panels the satellites are shown with on the fmv cutscenes would gut it. I doubt even a Nuclear reactor could fulfill the power requirements.

Quick thought: Why not change the laser satellites into firing telephone pole sized 'spears' through the atmosphere to strike ground targets, because remember that the Las-Sats were designed to shoot down ICBMs (And presumebly other strategic munitions that don't leave the atmosphere), and a large kinetic impact is just as effective as the thermal shock from a laser. Also, this explains were all the gauss weaponry in WZ2100 came from...

Finally, the kinetic energy a grain of sand has travelling at 64'000m/s (Orbital Velocity) is about the equivalent of a hand grenade going off when it hits you.

I highly suggest joining the Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator Community if you wish to learn more about this. I DEFINITELY want to see some cross-pollination between WZ2100 and Orbiter  ::) Actually piloting one of the VTOLs or transports would be so frikkin' awesome...
REDAC Aerospace: Proving that aircraft and terrain don't mix since 2005 :D
XFire Profile: dogzeroonefox
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

NucNut wrote:
Quick thought: Why not change the laser satellites into firing telephone pole sized 'spears' through the atmosphere to strike ground targets, because remember that the Las-Sats were designed to shoot down ICBMs (And presumebly other strategic munitions that don't leave the atmosphere), and a large kinetic impact is just as effective as the thermal shock from a laser. Also, this explains were all the gauss weaponry in WZ2100 came from...

Not that I'm going to categorically oppose this suggestion, but...

Are you suggesting removing the current method of the LasSat, based on it being not "believable" enough to fit into this sci-fi environment, but then replace it with another, equally functioning method that is no more scientifically sound in execution?  ;p.
Deathguise
Trained
Trained

Post by Deathguise »

NucNut wrote:That's also another thing that really bugged me. The Laser Satellites. The power requirements for arming and firing a laser THROUGH the atmosphere would be ludecrously high, and i don't think the piddly little solar panels the satellites are shown with on the fmv cutscenes would gut it. I doubt even a Nuclear reactor could fulfill the power requirements.

Agreed although i was under the impression that the lassats primary purpose was to shoot down ICBM's during i presume the mid-course phase when the ICBM has either left or near to leaving earths atmosphere ready to maneuver/prepare to deploy multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles, if this is the case it would need much less less power since space is basically a vacuum so no clouds,dust or smoke to weaken the beam.

Also the lassat beam is quite misleading i should imagine the actual beam diameter would be no greater than your average dinner plate - since lasers travel at the speed of light, are not affected by gravity and have no recoil as long as you can accurately track the target it most likely would not require a gigantic pillar of light like the one in the game to intercept an ICBM.

The lassats were also complimented with nukes which have a distinct advantage over a freefall projectile(which im assuming the telephone pole sized spear bassically is - correct me if im wrong) in that they can be armed in flight so if the launchey gets cold feet they can opt out of arming the warhead and only minimal damage will be done - however all the nukes carried by the lassats were spent initiating the collapse forcing nexus to i presume hack/modify the lassat programming to allow for a space to ground direct strike which would most likely severely cut the lassats lifespan.

And ere ive forgotten most of the stuff i learnt in school so some of this is most likely wrong.
"Abandon All Hope" - Chiggy von Richthofen