Hi, new to the forum

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
3drts
Trained
Trained

Hi, new to the forum

Post by 3drts »

Wow, I stopped playing Warzone a long time ago.
I have gathered some information on the developments since then, but could anyone fill me in further on all relevant points:

The source code has been released, it can now be freely downloaded(no need to dig up old CDs)?

Multiple turrets per units are possible? Can I now have a VToL armed with Missiles and a laser/cannon/gun, kind of like modern fighters have a cannon and missiles?

Can Fortresses now hold multiple weapons? I'd rather see a fortress with 4 heavy machine guns and 4 heavy cannons, rather than a Cannon fortress with one ridiculously big-yet-stubby cannon on top
Or a missile fortress with quad mini rockets, a Vindicator SAM, and Quad scourge....
You get the point... a few heavy AT weapons, at least 4 smaller rapid fire weapons, and at least a token air defense, Maybe even an artillery peice (ripple battery for rocket bastion, angel for missile, ground shaker for cannon fortress... etc)
I want to see something worthy of being called a fortress, something like in the original concept art so long ago.

In line with the multiple turrets, can a weapon fire multiple projectiles at the same time? Would it be possible to have a true twin machine gun? not just a graphic showing two with only a single projectile doing more damage?

Is any one working on higher polygon models/better textures/making the game look better?

How would I mod range, rate of fire, VTOL ammo capacity, etc? Any links to easy to use mod tools?

Did they finally fix the rate of fire upgrades for missiles such that they actually work?

Are there any mods/patches out there that allow the player to make transports capable of transporting tanks?

-In line with the last question, would it be possible to add a "LZ structure" like a large VToL rearming pad, and the vehicle transport can only fly from one Pad to another? It would be very cool for user made maps with large islands... no longer would the attacks have to be done only with cyborgs, VToLs, and hover tanks... a beach head could be established, an LZ constructed, and heavy tracked tanks flown in.
Last edited by 3drts on 01 Aug 2007, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Hi, new to the forum

Post by lav_coyote25 »

welcome to the forums: ;D  my comments in blue in answer to your questions.

and before you ask - the fmv / cutscenes were not released to the GPL due to copyright issues - see the various threads on that throughout the forums. ;D
3drts wrote: Wow, I stopped playing Warzone a long time ago.
I have gathered some information on the developments since then, but could anyone fill me in further on all relevant points:

The source code has been released, it can now be freely downloaded(no need to dig up old CDs)? yes

Multiple turrets per units are possible? yes

Can I now have a VToL armed with Missiles and a laser/cannon/gun, kind of like modern fighters have a cannon and missiles? yes

In line with the multiple turrets, can a weapon fire multiple projectiles at the same time? Would it be possible to have a true twin machine gun? not just a graphic showing two, but a single projectile doing more damage?  not sure how to answer this... so i will say maybe.

Is any one working on higher polygon models/better textures/making the game look better? yes

How would I mod range, rate of fire, VTOL ammo capacity, etc? Any links to easy to use mod tools? still to come... but is easier due to no more WDG crap... is a simple (zip style) called .WZ

Did they finally fix the rate of fire upgrades for missiles such that they actually work?  possibly - not sure what your meaning..

Are there any mods/patches out there that allow the player to make transports capable of transporting tanks? possibly - not sure... it was in earlier...( may have been taken out..not sure)

-In line with the last question, would it be possible to add a "LZ structure" like a large VToL rearming pad, and the vehicle transport can only fly from one Pad to another? It would be very cool for user made maps with large islands... no longer would the attacks have to be done only with cyborgs, VToLs, and hover tanks... a beach head could be established, an LZ constructed, and heavy tracked tanks flown in.  add that to the wish list thread - sounds like a good idea...
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Some clarification to lav_coyote25's answers.
3drts wrote: Multiple turrets per units are possible? Can I now have a VToL armed with Missiles and a laser/cannon/gun, kind of like modern fighters have a cannon and missiles?
No. VTOL's don't support multiple turrets.
3drts wrote: Can Fortresses now hold multiple weapons? I'd rather see a fortress with 4 heavy machine guns and 4 heavy cannons, rather than a Cannon fortress with one ridiculously big-yet-stubby cannon on top
Or a missile fortress with quad mini rockets, a Vindicator SAM, and Quad scourge....
You get the point... a few heavy AT weapons, at least 4 smaller rapid fire weapons, and at least a token air defense, Maybe even an artillery peice (ripple battery for rocket bastion, angel for missile, ground shaker for cannon fortress... etc)
I want to see something worthy of being called a fortress, something like in the original concept art so long ago.
Currently there is no support for multiweapon fortresses.
3drts wrote: How would I mod range, rate of fire, VTOL ammo capacity, etc? Any links to easy to use mod tools?
Look for the directory "stats" in the *.wz files. They're CSV style files.
3drts wrote: Are there any mods/patches out there that allow the player to make transports capable of transporting tanks?
Not that I'm aware of. It should be doable to make such a transporter unit though.
lav_coyote25 wrote: and before you ask - the fmv / cutscenes were not released to the GPL due to copyright issues - see the various threads on that throughout the forums. ;D
Actually the fact that they where not released under the GPL _is_ the copyright issue with them.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

3drts wrote: -In line with the last question, would it be possible to add a "LZ structure" like a large VToL rearming pad, and the vehicle transport can only fly from one Pad to another? It would be very cool for user made maps with large islands... no longer would the attacks have to be done only with cyborgs, VToLs, and hover tanks... a beach head could be established, an LZ constructed, and heavy tracked tanks flown in.
Sounds like a very good idea to me !!!
Deathguise
Trained
Trained

Post by Deathguise »

3drts wrote: How would I mod range, rate of fire, VTOL ammo capacity, etc? Any links to easy to use mod tools?
Personally i use Warzone Customiser Kit to edit the basic stats, then just use the text files it generates(i find it a bit faster than doing it all maually).
"Abandon All Hope" - Chiggy von Richthofen
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Some clarification to Giel's answers
Giel wrote: Some clarification to lav_coyote25's answers.
No. VTOL's don't support multiple turrets.
not true vtol supports multiple turrets just like other propulsion does.
Currently there is no support for multiweapon fortresses.
there is,a defensive structure can have up to 4 turrets at the moment via few lines of change in structures.txt and structassignweap.txt,of course you also need a structure pie with 4 connectors.I didnt include the data changes because wz is already a turtling game and its mp game always lasts ungodly long due to turtling.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Deathguise
Trained
Trained

Post by Deathguise »

Slightly off topic but i noticed in the changelog that a little multiplayer rebalancing has been done, anyway ive got a list of around a hundred or more multiplayer issues not really anythong todo with rebalancing but problems none the less, i guess i should give a few examples:

1.) Machinegun guard towers & Machinegun Bunkers incorrectly use Heavy machineguns.
2.) Fortressess cannot fire over walls.
3.) Many research topics have either incorrect or non-existant research completion messages example: the twin assault cannon bunker has the research completion message for Assault Gun towers(RES_DEF_RotMG).
5.) Quite a few research topics have uneeded prerequisites id give an example but i want to keep this post short.

Anyway would anyone be interested in such a list provided i can find the cd it's on?
"Abandon All Hope" - Chiggy von Richthofen