Help with Gamma campaign

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
wizeh85
New user

Help with Gamma campaign

Post by wizeh85 »

Hey having alot of trouble with gamma campaign , i sailed thru alpha and beta with ease.

But even cycborgs are raping my units in campaign 3. Those golden laser gun things and red rocket things that looks kinda like lancer just tear my tanks apart in seconds what am i doing wrong?

At the momemt i use a combo of heavy cannon panther tracks with a thew lancers ( tank killer's dont seem to fire , bug?) also i see a a thew videos on youtube and everyone seemed to be using hover instead of tracks in campaign 3 why is that?

can someone tell me a good combo of units and whether i should use tracks or hover.

Also whats the best overall out of the 3 heavy bodys?
sicanjal
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help with Gamma campaign

Post by sicanjal »

You'll have to excuse me whilst I just plough into my reply. :D

Assault Guns will chew through Cyborgs whilst the Cannons will be even lucky to strike a hit. And with Tank Killers around your tracked units will go down very quickly. Your main force should be comprised of Tank Killers, Assault Guns (Cyborgs can fill this role very well at less cost), a few cannons and at least 1 AA unit. Artillery as well may be useful if you have time to gradually knock down base defences from afar whilst you accrue power.

Ditch using Collective bodies for the meanwhile as their extra armour is not worth the power costs. Switch to Tank Killers instead of Lancers to add extra fire-power to your anti-tank units. As far as I know, their ROF is very similar.

Hover propulsion is quicker on ground and can traverse water, but is vulnerable to incendiary and machine-gun fire. Tracked propulsion has greater armour but is very vulnerable to anti-tank Lancer/Tank Killer weapons, which is probably why your HC Panther Tracks are being destroyed so quickly. Switch between tracks/hover as needed, but you will probably want to use hover propulsion more than tracks.

The Mantis body is the cheapest body and come with a high power output. It's kinetic armour is pathetic in comparison to the Python but has more thermal armour. Python has stronger armour with a lower power output. Tiger has more thermal armour than Python and has more hitpoints but is more expensive. Retribution, the NEXUS body, has even more armour than Tiger and has the power output of the Mantis body. It however comes at a huge power cost and should only be used for droids which have to soak up extreme fire-power from enemy units.

In essence, your choice of body for a unit is dependant on whether you need armour or speed/cheaper costs; a sort of sliding scale. If you want armour, your top choice is Tiger, followed by Python, with Mantis coming last. If you want speed and/or cheaper costs, the reverse is true. At CAM3 you may want to use Tiger for Tanks, Python/Cobra for support units and Mantis/Scorpion for any units that will be covered by others.

It's been a while since I've even touched CAM3, but keep an eye on what weapons NEXUS are using and change your forces accordingly.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

My advice on CAM3 depends on whether or not you have access to a saved file from back in CAM2.

If you can go back to CAM2 and re-design your forces before departing beta base, then do so.  Tiger bodies are great, IF you have the money for them; that said, you need to have the money for them.  As the amount of money that you get transferred from beta to Gamma is constant however (IIRC), there is no reason, while still in beta, to not spend everything you have on 40 top-notch units to send over (5 trucks, 1 commander if desired, and 34-35 combat units).

If CAM2 is no longer an option, then I'd go with a "human wave" strategy.  Pick a light body, put it on hover, and mass-produce it.  Yes, conflicts with nexus will result in casualties, but you will win the skirmishes; and for the first couple stages, nexus does NOT produce new units, so if you kill what they start with, it just becomes a game of pushing FTW.

For the first, and largely the second, mission of CAM3, the weapon of choice is the Assault Gun.  It will shred nexus cyborgs, hovertanks, AND base defenses like they aren't even there.  If you already have cannons and tank killer units, keep them; but all new units (or if you go back to CAM2 to rebuild your force, just about ALL units) should be the assault gun.  Upon arrival to gamma base, you can research 2 things immediately; one is a machinegun damage upgrade.  Do so ASAP.

Towards the end of mission 1, build a few cannon and TK tanks to send out for the first away mission (with some assault guns, of course).  When gamma main-base mission 2 starts, keep using your assault gun tanks to rip nexus to pieces.  Towards the end of gamma main-base 2, however, before actually finishing the stage, recycle some of those assault guns, and replace them with cannons and TK tanks to prepare for future missions (don't bother so much with the Flashlight Laser you find, their specialty is killing cyborgs, but even after your assault guns stop being useful against tanks and base structures, they will sill do a number to cyborgs up until the very last couple of stages, by which time you'll have a better laser available).

I'm not sure if you are doing this or not, but unless you are going for speed, try and drag out all stages for as long as possible, so that you can make as much money as you can, do as much research, prepare as many units, etc.  If you have a lot of money, you'll find that Tiger HEAP vtol's can make a lot of stages much easier, but as they are painfully expensive (and, if you don't want to lose them to SAM'S, require cannon fodder units to fly in front of them), they aren't an option on low-funding.

Good luck.
wizeh85
New user

Post by wizeh85 »

Themousemaster , no idea why i didnt think of that lol yeah i do have cam 2 final stage saved no idea why i saved it but glad i did now :)

I have a problem tho you both mentioned using Tank killers instead of lancer but for some reason when i build them they dont fire i think the only target they ever shoot at is cyborgs when tanks come they just sit there and get raped. Whats up with that?
Ursa
Trained
Trained

Post by Ursa »

Can't believe I never tried this. Last time I played I ended up with about five surviving units by the end of the first mission... of course all my units get destroyed by Nexus one way or another anyway. All of the units I sent on the last mission were green.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I've run into the bug witht he TK rockets as well.  I've found that their position relative to their target depends on if they fire or not; whenever I end up in the "no fire" zone, I just give my team a move order, and once the tanks move a square and a half, i give the fire command again, and they unload.

Lancers just don't have the punch necessary to do the damage to Nexus units regretably.

But don't worry.  That nexus rocket that they use to ebat the snot out of your tanks from a screen and a half away?  You'll get it around Gamma5.  Once you turn all your TK'ers into those, the game becomes 25% easier (a mixture of Scourge + Assault gun, and later Scourge + pulse laser, is basically all you need to take Nexus's destructive power and turn it back in their faces).