what are Sensor, VTOL, CB, VTOL CB?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
elio
Regular
Regular

what are Sensor, VTOL, CB, VTOL CB?

Post by elio »

hi

i've got a question about the radar technologies:
the sensor tower is for defense with artillery, the VTOL Strike Tower is for automatic defense with VTOLs,
but, what are the CB and the VTOL CB Towers?

do you know further information about these Radar Technologies? when should i use them?

and also a third question :): is it more clever to use command turrets instead of sensor turrets?

thank you :)
sicanjal
Rookie
Rookie

Re: what are Sensor, VTOL, CB, VTOL CB?

Post by sicanjal »

The sensor tower serves a more general role as an extension to your radar, displaying enemy units and eliminating fog-of-war from the area.

CB stands for Counter Battery. If any incoming artillery fire is detected by a counter-battery turret, it will return fire with any assigned units. Useful as most artillery units outrange sensors.

The Wide Spectrum Sensor can serve ALL of these roles with a larger sensor range, managing strike and CB for both ground units and VTOLs.

Whether to use a Commander or a Sensor Turret is largely dependant on the situation. The sensor turret out ranges the Command Turret but can't defend itself; useful for pummelling a base using artillery. The Command Turret can serve as a factory delivery point, so you can keep a huge tank legion automatically reinforced during an attack.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

Sensor tower: effectively the eyes of your weapon systems, Your indirect weapons(mortar, howitzer e.t.c ) can shoot any enemy that is within its own range AND within range of a sensor tower. I also believe that it increases the accuracy of you direct weapons ( cannon, machine gun e.t.c) that are in same said range criteria.

VTOL: This little beauty is used for automating your VTOL attacks. Create a squad of VTOLs and assign them to one of these, if an enemy comes within range of the radar then your VTOL's will take off and commence an attack on them.

CB tower: This tower has a long rang of view and its purpose is to seek out enemy indirect weapons, if you have a few howitzers for example connected to one of these, then they will try to take out the enemy artillery, but expect the enemy to have the same idea. focus on these would be considered a 'strategic' arms race as in oppose to a 'tactical' one...NOTE: its always a good idea to build one of these even if you have not yet invested in indirect weapons, because they can reveal enemy emplacements for you to attack with conventional means.

VTOL CB: Same as above but uses a VTOL task force to deal with enemy indirect weapons ( a squad must be asigned to the role).

Wide Spectrum Sensor Tower: suposedly combines all the above and does it better (i have only ever used them in replacement for standard sensor towers so i cant be sure of other roles myself)

A Great link for understanding the stats for your buildings and turrets here:  http://members.shaw.ca/kgmetcalfe/WarZo ... ndex3.html

EDIT: i use neither sensor or command vehicles as they lead you to depend on them and neither is very battle worthy. My main tactic is a rolling avenue towards the enemy, i set my tanks onto "damn they scratched my paintwork, best go back for repair". i then send them forward towards the enemy.. i Follow these with a support squad of engineers and a couple of repair units, the task of this support squad is to build light defences ( including sensors and firestorm howies) along the path of attack along with repair stations, and the repair station wayponts get moved to the front line of the war- so my tanks continuously move to the front, lob a few rounds at the enemy then fall back to repair before going again.
I know this sounds like a long winded way to win a war, but my poor sprites have the right to live and as a commander they love me for my low attrition record..hehe which means less money spent on units and more on research =)
Last edited by GiGaBaNE on 06 Jul 2007, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Version: master-20110320 QT
VGA:Nvidia GeForce GT 220
Driver in use: 6.14.12.6658
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4200+
RAM: 2 x DDR-II 1GB corsair
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

you can also get the information right here on wz2100.net
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

Thanks for that! i didnt know we had one here... much nicer keeping it all in house ;)
Version: master-20110320 QT
VGA:Nvidia GeForce GT 220
Driver in use: 6.14.12.6658
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4200+
RAM: 2 x DDR-II 1GB corsair
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

most of those documents are version 1.12 and wonderfully inaccurate in their statistics >.<
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-
wardog
Greenhorn

Post by wardog »

jeeezzzz i never new that i always just put them in the base to make it look nice :D