I started playing this game again recently

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Zombie
Greenhorn

I started playing this game again recently

Post by Zombie »

The game is awesome, don't listen to the people who tell you differently.

but on side-notes I have some questions (hence coming to the forums) In the to-do list for future features I saw that buildings are going to be designed like vehicles, would this be literal (as in you have to design your factories) or similar to choosing which command center you'd like to use (as an example, some people in multiplayer would have project bases while others would use the command center from the collective, or nexus bases).

on a third note: is it a glitch that you don't have to build a command relay center to build commanders? I just noticed in the description it says you have to have one to produce a commander, but I never build any (lol).
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: I started playing this game again recently

Post by NoQ »

but on side-notes I have some questions (hence coming to the forums) In the to-do list for future features I saw that buildings are going to be designed like vehicles, would this be literal (as in you have to design your factories) or similar to choosing which command center you'd like to use (as an example, some people in multiplayer would have project bases while others would use the command center from the collective, or nexus bases).
This is mostly about towers.
on a third note: is it a glitch that you don't have to build a command relay center to build commanders? I just noticed in the description it says you have to have one to produce a commander, but I never build any (lol).
Rather a bug. On the other hand, noone uses commanders in multiplayer anyway.
Zombie
Greenhorn

Post by Zombie »

I use commanders pretty religiously in multiplayer, as they effectively nerf enemy artillery fire (especially rocket artillery like the archangel missiles).

Also towers = defensive structures, I'm assuming
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Also towers = defensive structures, I'm assuming
Yeah, of course (: I was thinking i forgot something (:
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

NoQ wrote:
This is mostly about towers.
Rather a bug. On the other hand, noone uses commanders in multiplayer anyway.

Well, no one uses them for their "intended" purpose. I've found a rather... interesting side-use for them :P .

Limited in scope, but one of those tricks for "just the right moment".
brakenfur
Trained
Trained

Post by brakenfur »

not wanting to go off topic but i am yet to see a commander but all i use it for is bait
Zombie
Greenhorn

Post by Zombie »

Aside from the fact that I haven't played multiplayer in anything other than a private game (oops) in a while, I dunno why you wouldn't see commanders. They seem to be the best way to maintain unit experience, as well as to manage large forces quickly and effectively, as well as maintaining constant offensive pressure. Why would you opt out of using commanders?

Topic derailed, lol.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Because bots don't tend to target commanders specifically, but humans do. Commanders will just die young.
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Post by ClockWork »

Commanders are a good way of making your overall units stronger. Even a commander with the second level of experience will increase all the units speed, and accuracy, while decreeing enemy damage and accuracy, (for those that are attached to it.) The very best way I have found out of keeping commanders alive, is by building walls, or better yet, tank traps around them so they get trapped. They will still act normally, but from the safely of the base.
And it’s even simple to assign a large hand full of units to your commanders. If I have 60 units assigned to my #1 hot key, all I would have to do it press 1, click on the first commander. Press 1 again, click on the second commander, etc. then once I have the bulk of my forces under their leadership, I’ll select all the commanders, and assign them to my #2 hot key. As the battles ensue, and units will certainly die, all I’ll have to do is assign newly produced units to a commander, and off they go with bonuses that will turn the tide of war :wink:

Although, I have never tried this with other human players, I’d assume I’d work though. Just beware of VTOLs trying to pop those helplessly stuck commanders XD

Edit Nevermind. the units will just go and crawl back to thier commanders stuck at the base :(