Builds orders and strategies (:

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
NoQ
Special
Special

Builds orders and strategies (:

Post by NoQ »

For newbies:

:lecture: By a "build order" we mean an order in which you build your buildings early in the game. This page includes some of the common build orders, but it isn't very informative on how do these build orders actually work during a real game. So i want to make some discussion about it in this thread.

:lecture: If the idea of perfecting a build order sounds new/strange/useless for you, :lecture: i've just made a little video especially for you. It's about a three-factory rush build, and in this video, i beat three full AIs on "Rush2" map simply by using a suitable build order. Learn this build, and alto1234 will respect you! :D

For strong players:

Err ... well, i've made this thread to make you lecture about *your* favorite builds! XD The rush build i've mentioned above is the only one i've actually learned so far :oops: (and even this one - thanks to BP :3 ). So i'm playing much like a noob who has just watched this video :)

So i really want to hear your experience about many other build orders, like tech builds, truck rushes (?), turtle builds (??) ..., discuss their pros and cons, etc :roll:

I don't want to discuss high-power map strategies in this thread, though they also have their piece of theory. :roll:
Last edited by NoQ on 31 Oct 2010, 00:30, edited 3 times in total.
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Re: Builds!

Post by KenAlcock »

hao wrote: :lecture: If the idea of perfecting a build order sounds new/strange/useless for you, :lecture:
NOTE to Newbies: :lecture: If the idea of perfecting a build order sounds new/strange/useless to you, then you might as well never play multiplayer Warzone, since you will always have your @$$ handed to you and you will most likely believe that the people routinely kicking your @$$ are cheating, when in fact they are not cheating. This is the first critical skill required to be able to compete effectively in a multiplayer game. (The second and equally important skill is understanding the Tech Tree and its various research paths.) So if you find yourself on the losing end of games more often than not, you need to improve your build order, and you need to understand the impacts of the type of map you are playing on--low oil, moderate oil, or high oil. You also need to understand how your team mates build and research. Successful team play requires that allies work together and use tactics that compliment each other, and that all starts with your build order.
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

How bout builds when you start with a base?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

hao wrote: :lecture: By a "build" we mean an order in which you build your buildings early in the game.
For other uses, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build (especially http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_build).
alto1234
Trained
Trained

Post by alto1234 »

macuser wrote:How bout builds when you start with a base?
lol, doesn't count.
cybersphinx wrote:
hao wrote: :lecture: By a "build" we mean an order in which you build your buildings early in the game.
For other uses, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Build (especially http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_build).
perhaps change topic title to "Build orders!" and replace instances of "builds" with "build orders." i will refer to them as build orders.

now onto the meat. let me provide you with a few examples of build orders which i employ to success regularly. double line break indicates a time interval.

Versatile:

Code: Select all

two trucks to start
two trucks begin on factory 1

factory 1 finishes and begins producing three trucks
two trucks begin on factory 2 

factory 1 finishes, factory 2 produces truck
three trucks begin on lab 1
factory 2 begins producing two trucks

lab 1 finishes and begins researching machinegun->bullets->AP I->twin mg->AP II ->hmg
three trucks begin on lab 2

factory 1 produces truck, factory 2 produces truck
two (new) trucks go out and take distant oil, doubling back to take nearby oil afterwards

lab 2 finishes and begins researching engineering -> half track
three trucks begin on cc

factory 1 produces truck, factory 2 produces truck
two (new) trucks take base oil
CC finishes
factories 1 & 2 begin producing machinegun viper wheels
Notes: for this to be effective your force with multipliers simply needs to be greater than that of your opponent. by corollary this build order asks for close attention to detail and rapid decision making. after power mod, this is best continued into T1 with either 4-5 facs producing vipers or 5 labs with 2+ modules researching supported by some T2 and T3 facs. if you take the viper route, you will eventually need tracks for viper tracks and mg damage/ROF upgrades for assault gun viper tracks later. if you take the lab route you will want either cannons, rockets, or flamers to complement your cobras - cobra trax hmg + mrp is a nice combo, for instance, but don't limit yourself. adapt to what your opponent is doing.

beat down your opponent with smart decisions and dynamic tactical play.

Tech to rockets:

Code: Select all

two trucks to start
two trucks begin on lab 1

lab 1 finishes and begins researching engineering->engine->mini-rocket pod->HE rockets-> ...
two trucks begin on factory 1

factory 1 finishes and begins producing trucks
two trucks begin on factory 2

then lab 2, cc, power, fac 3, produce mrp viper wheels/HT and so forth...
Notes: produce just enough MRP units to hit-and-run snipe MG units and take a derrick or two. use a few mg viper half tracks to take hits as you transition into T1. do not overproduce units, do not research machinegun past hardened. tech straight to MRA. MRA cobra hovers can handle moderate amounts of vipers and cyborgs, but don't produce more than you can micromanage by hand. flamer tech is cheap and will let you handle cyborgs, but don't expect it to work on cobra mass. cannon tech won't help you handle cyborgs until assault cannon but hpv scorpion tracks provides an excellent counter to HMG cobra halftrack mass as you move into T2. just don't lose your MRAs before then, they are your lifeblood and quite costly! if you face viper HMG spam, put your MRA and MRP behind mg half tracks and hope for the best. if you encounter tracks of any sort, you will want lancer hovers.

the better micro you have, the fewer alloys you need to research and the fewer units you need to produce, but don't neglect them nor your units.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Re: Builds orders!

Post by macuser »

THNX alto, very informative :)

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

But i'd have to try it all before i can have some feedback :3
perhaps change topic title to "Build orders!" and replace instances of "builds" with "build orders." i will refer to them as build orders.
Oh well (:
R Hannay
Trained
Trained

Post by R Hannay »

Has anyone tried any build orders that emphasize hardcrete? I am new and I have not seen this as a successful tactic. Much appreciated if anyone has!
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I think you should ask truckspin (aka acidjnk) to play a FFA with you on squared.
But high-power games are a little offtopic here (:

Well, actually, looks like defenses-first is a very poor strategy on a regular map. You can't attack your enemy with defenses, you can't concentrate them in one point ... even though they are strong, they are rarely as useful as tanks.
R Hannay
Trained
Trained

Post by R Hannay »

hao wrote:Well, actually, looks like defenses-first is a very poor strategy on a regular map. You can't attack your enemy with defenses, you can't concentrate them in one point ... even though they are strong, they are rarely as useful as tanks.
I personally enjoy low oil as much as high oil, but on certain low oil maps I find it would be beneficial to have the high HP/armor for low cost of hardcrete structures in prime locations. Not a Great Wall of China, but something tough behind which to place units.