I hate ripples

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Nehellsan
Greenhorn

Re: I hate ripples

Post by Nehellsan »

To combat ripples, i normally suicide a couple of units and then send a ton of fast splash weaponry (bombs, cannons) to kill them while their still reloading. I find this particularly works when the opponent has put a line of them in.
Last edited by Nehellsan on 26 Apr 2011, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I normally DON'T like high/infinite resource maps on any rts game, as from my own experiences with them, matches tended to devolve into masses of units being thrown against eachother constantly. In fact, let me tell you a story about one of my experiences with such a map that happened several years ago, while I was looking to play some online multiplayer matches on Command & Conquer: Generals: Zero Hour. (Keep in mind that, unlike Warzone 2100, there were no units that could fire across the map, and there was no limit as to how many factories or, in some cases, superweapons you could have at any time.)

I joined another person's 1 vs 1 game, in which the host decided to pick this map where we both had infinite money. Foreseeing lots of tightly-packed units, I decided to focus on units that dealt large amounts of splash damage, so I picked the Chinese Nuke General for access to his Nuke MiGs (which could deal massive amounts of splash damage), as well as Inferno Cannons (artillery units that fired incendiary projectiles that could set large areas of ground on fire). We agreed to not rush eachother for the 1st few minutes.

Anyways, I started the match off by having my Command Center continuously churning out dozers (the equivalent of Trucks), which I then ordered to build as many factories and airfields as my side of the map had room, though I did order some to build some barracks for the early game, as well as a Propaganda Center and a Nuclear Missile Silo so that I could get the units that I wanted the most, namely the Nuke MiGs and Inferno Cannons. While all this was happening, I had my Barracks and factories constantly churn out Tank Hunters, Battlemaster Tanks, and Dragon Tanks and my airfiends produce MiGs (and then Helix helicopters afterwards) until my Propaganda Center was built (which was needed in order for me to start building Inferno Cannons from my factories).

Meanwhile, my opponent decided to build a line of Gattling Cannons on the only chokepoint on the map as his early-game defense. When our commonly-agreed-upon no-rush timer finally expired after a few minutes, we both sent what forces we had available against eachother. As we were both killing off alot of eachother's units, we were given access to more and more support powers as our respective generals were being promoted (which happens when you kill a certain amount of your opponent's units) in a short period of time. I personally chose to use the support powers that dealt lots of splash damage, such as cluster mine drops, artillery barrages, and nuclear carpet bombers. The turning point was probably when I got my Propaganda Center up, in which I then switched my factories' production from tanks to Inferno Cannons.

By the time that I finished my single Nuke Silo, I saw that my opponent decided to invest in dozens of them in order to hopefully stall my forces long enough for him to pretty much nuke my entire side of the field. However, when my factories started churning out my Inferno Cannons, they were literally burning my opponent's tightly-massed forces to a crisp from a long range, as their incendiary projectiles could cover large areas with firestorms that dealt heavy damage towards any units that were unlucky enough to be caught inside. Moreover, I was upgrading my ordinary MiGs into Nuke MiGs so that they could inflict massive amounts of splash damage with their nuclear-tipped missiles. Although my opponent managed to sneak his Black Lotus (a commando that is cloaked and can take control of enemy structures) inside my base, she didn't do much damage, as between my Inferno Cannons and the support powers that I chose, it seemed as if I could win the match before my opponent would get the chance to launch a single nuke at me. (Besides, I was quick to react with the MiGs that I produced.)

Not long after my opponent's line of Gattling Turrets were incinerated, I began pushing into my opponent's side of the map. It wasn't long that I started to burn my opponent's base to the ground one building at a time. At around the same time, my Nuke MiGs were joining the fight, though by then, my opponent just decided to surrender. I guess that my tactics of focusing on projecting massive amounts of splash damage, especially from my Inferno Cannons, were just too hot for him to handle. :lol2:

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is that, if I ever play another one of those infinite/high resource maps again on any rts game (which I don't have any plans to do in the near-future), then chances are that I'd expect lots of units being produced by both sides, and then tightly grouped together due to the limited amount of room available, so I'd tend to focus on inflicting as much splash damage as I can to get rid of them quicker. For Warzone 2100, that means that I'd more likely focus on researching artillery, producing lots of Trucks to produce lots of artillery (especially Howitzers and, later, Hellstorms) and AA emplacements (unless no VTOLs are allowed during the match), have my factories churn out some Ripple Rocket units (for counter-battery work), Commanders (to spot for artillery), Cyborg Lancers (as my 1st line of defense against enemy tanks and VTOLs), and VTOLs (especially those armed with Plasmite Bombs), and gradually push my forces towards my opponent's base while seeking out and destroying enemy spotters (sensor units/towers and commanders) so that they couldn't bombard me from afar with their own ripple rockets or howitzers.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
barbarossa
New user

Post by barbarossa »

hello guys i have download the mod what post noq on the first page and i put it in the folder mods in warzone2100 and i start warzone regular but there is nothing that i can change in arty, where is the right place to put in and how i make it that it work, i wanna make an limit for arty :'(
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Hello barbarossa,

Did you take a look on the link
" How do I install a map or mod? "

on the same page ?
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

ortmaster wrote:i hope and pray that the powers that be, THE PROJECT, ie buginator and zarel and the others who run this thing one day decide to add an anti ripple or structure limit to ripple building. It seems that everyone likes ntw as do I, but I hate when inevitably it turns into a who can build more/better/radar/ripples than the other team. Someone always has the bright idea " we have to research ripples first so we can win" It ruins it. In the past i cherished the mighty ripple and bowed to its alter, but now I hate, despise and renounce all ripples, ripple warfare, rippelry, ripple tactics, ripplerific, ripple nipple, and all things related to, or pertaining to that horrible game fun destroying, slow static ww1 era style of warfare. What comes next??, the trench, the maginot line, the mark 1v tank??? Vtol is awesome but somehow has been shuned and received a second class citizen status with complete segragation clauses, I say we do the same for ripples?? Freee the best game ever from the grasp of oppression that is ripplery, and prove that shilvery is not dead!!!

is anybody with me on this or should i just shut up?
Ive been fighting for this for a long time. Its not happening.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Search the forums for ECM. It is planned, just not a big priority right now.