DOS games (: (: (:

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
NoQ
Special
Special

DOS games (: (: (:

Post by NoQ »

May i wonder if you guys over here still remember and like all those old DOS games?

If you do, i'm sure you've heard of this DOSBox emulator that allows to play most of them on a modern PC (all platforms actually, and it's free). And another good news is that it's very easy to play multiplayer games with it. Someone just needs to put up a server (which is easy for linux users around here; almost as simple as running a program) (even i managed to start it, but i can't keep it online all the time). And after the server is up, the players just enter a simple special command in their dosbox, and the games start seeing each other! Unless it's up, you can just call me on our IRC when you want to play, and i'll try to turn my home server on.

Why am i asking it here? Because i like this community, and i'm looking forward to playing more with you! Even the dosbox.com forum looks dead compared to this one (: Secondly, i'm posting it here because there are many clever people here who might agree to make a server for us (: (:

About the games: I personally have in mind this one. It's a fighting game, fast-paced and very beautiful (for its time). I still play it in single-player sometimes, and i've already tried it in multiplayer (and it worked). On the other hand, looks like this game wasn't played much on multiplayer. The game is avaliable for download in many places (same as most of the DOS games), but i'm not sure it's all completely legal, so i won't post a link.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Re: DOS games (: (: (:

Post by Merowingg »

Nice topic :)

I like it very much :)

I can sadly assume that not many people here remember DOS games..

My favourite is Super Mario Bros :) I will try recall others

I have spent hundereds of hours playing it.. :)

It is still on prehistoric PC at my grannys apartment :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

Super Mario Bros.??? That has to have been 25 year ago!!! (Actually Super Mario had his 25th Birthday yesterday! ;) )

I play a lot of DOS games and I have a quite huge collection!! :D

For beginners I would recommend D-Fend reloaded, as every game can be configured for itself:
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/index.html?lang=en

And if you need games LEGALLY* go to:
http://www.abandonia.com

Have fun!! :D

* Abandonia is "observed" by the organisation ESA. That means, that no game is offered for download, that has any commercial value or copyrights! More info: http://theesa.com/
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Powzone, i still have a desire to play some of these online. Just talk to me when you're ready and i'm around (: (: (:
KukY [url=http://forums.wz2100.net/posting.php?mode=quote&f=10&p=69576]here[/url] wrote:Probably some chmod problems. I'll fix them now.
Edit: Fixed ;)
Hmm, KukY, looks like you have a unix server under your control? Maybe you could just run this "ipxnet" thing on it, and a lot of people will play old games on it all the time and be happy? (: (: (:

(i hope i'm not too annoying with it)
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

hao wrote:Hmm, KukY, looks like you have a unix server under your control? Maybe you could just run this "ipxnet" thing on it, and a lot of people will play old games on it all the time and be happy? (: (: (:

(i hope i'm not too annoying with it)
No, I'm using a free web host :P
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Oh well XD
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

I see I was wrong :) People do play DOS games nowadays :)

Mario rules ! :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Why the topic died ?? :( Are here only pople who play Prototype, Devil May Cry 4, Overlord 2, Mirror's Edge, Street Fighter 4 ?? :)

Old games have unforgettable beauty :)

Regards - Mero
zarulhairee
Trained
Trained

Post by zarulhairee »

mero, you forget few more like Call of duty world at war; modern warfare1/2; fallout, red alert 3 uprising, left 4 dead 2, Starcraft 2.

i wish people came with more Cooler Dos games rather then extreme game that sometimes cant be played at most pc's....
ENEMY OF ENEMY WITHIN ENEMY THAT LIES BETWEEN ENEMY THAT TRIES TO UNFOLD AN ENEMY SO THAT THE ENEMY WILL THINK IT'S ENEMY IS AWAY FROM THE ENEMY HOME WORLD THEN AFTER THE ENEMY WORLD

wanna add me on Google talk? go ahead :D

[email protected]
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

me wrote:you can just call me on our IRC when you want to play, and i'll try to turn my home server on.
I'm still here to do it (:
Any game (:
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

zarulhairee :) I have just mentioned those which I have completely or almost finished and I liked :)

But thank you for improvind my list :)

My beloved PC is quite strong :) but I still play Warzone :)

Well I might play Mario Bross :) But you will be Luigi ?? :P ;)

Damn I dont remember title os those games, I was to young to remember them :) and my english was ekhm :P

Regards - Mero
zarulhairee
Trained
Trained

Post by zarulhairee »

well, i like super mario where you become 3D and jumping on Pictures on wall. also, the best among all that i like is Paper Mario .... miss them since they are not compatible with my pc and always crash...
ENEMY OF ENEMY WITHIN ENEMY THAT LIES BETWEEN ENEMY THAT TRIES TO UNFOLD AN ENEMY SO THAT THE ENEMY WILL THINK IT'S ENEMY IS AWAY FROM THE ENEMY HOME WORLD THEN AFTER THE ENEMY WORLD

wanna add me on Google talk? go ahead :D

[email protected]
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

My favourite is Super Mario Bros 3 :) It was my life :) I played for 8 hours without a break becuse you coudnt save the game and it took so much to finish it :)

Well there is super mario, I have from a gaming magazine which works perfectly on my windows XP :)

I think you can also emulate things.. I think Hao knows a lot about it :) ask him :)

Regards - Mero
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I think Hao knows a lot about it :) ask him :)
Guys ... you *really* didn't understand *anything* in the first post?? Well, i tried my best to be patient, thinking people aren't interested in it here XD but you just didn't understand XD

Almost all DOS games work fluently on a modern PC with any modern OS. Through dosbox emulator. I don't know about any DOS games that don't work in it. They work much better than they used to under real DOS! They're much more stable! You just need a copy of the game, and also download the free/open-source little emulator, that's all. And downloading a copy of most famous games is extremely easy via the links Powzone mentioned.

And, on top of this, network games work through this as well! It's rather easy to play multiplayer games between any two PCs on the internet. Someone just needs to be a host. Even i can host it.

I hope i wasn't very annoying with this (:
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

...as for the Mario discussion. This is what existst for MS-DOS: http://www.abandonia.com/en/search_abandonia/mario What you are talking about is NES, SNES and N64. So for NES I recommend Nestopia, SNES I would say SNes9x or ZSNES (whatever you prefer...) and N64 everything leads to Project64. There's this thing with a G to find them... as for the ROMs aswell!
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super