Total realism mod

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Total realism mod

Post by macuser »

How about a mod with total realism:

1. flamers do nothing against non flamable objects
2. mg's don't hurt walls, tanks (medium, heavy bodies), and do little damage to buildings

and other things like that.

please post more suggestions/crits

regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: Total realism mod

Post by KukY »

Well, that mod could be interesting, although it would be totaly unbalanced.
macuser wrote:1. flamers do nothing against non flamable objects
Everything is flamable.
macuser wrote:2. mg's don't hurt walls, tanks (medium, heavy bodies), and do little damage to buildings
If we are going to be realistc, MG's do almost none damage to all types of targets.
Super Scavenger
Greenhorn

Post by Super Scavenger »

KukY wrote:
macuser wrote:2. mg's don't hurt walls, tanks (medium, heavy bodies), and do little damage to buildings
If we are going to be realistc, MG's do almost none damage to all types of targets.
MG's literally have only cyborgs and scavenger units and buildings to chew up, anything else just deflects them, until you reach DU MG bullets, you're out of luck.

And AA flak goes back to being almost useless because they won't home in on aircraft anymore. Rockets and cannons will pretty much be the only units that get used.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Super Scavenger wrote:MG's literally have only cyborgs and scavenger units and buildings to chew up, anything else just deflects them, until you reach DU MG bullets, you're out of luck.

And AA flak goes back to being almost useless because they won't home in on aircraft anymore. Rockets and cannons will pretty much be the only units that get used.
Oh, there's no need to worry about that. It'll take months to build and manufacture anything, and years to research anything, anyway.

(These people who ask for total realism, they never know what they're asking for...)
macuser wrote:How about a mod with total realism:
I have a mod with total realism for you.

Installation instructions:
1. Turn off your computer.
2. Go outside.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:(These people who ask for total realism, they never know what they're asking for...)

macuser wrote:
How about a mod with total realism:

I have a mod with total realism for you.

2. Go outside.
Excellent point. Would have still been as effective without that little pinch of sarcasm though. :wink:
macuser wrote:How about a mod with total realism:
It will be an interesting mod, no doubt. But perhaps naming it as "Selective Attack Mod" would suit it better, what do you think?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Super Scavenger
Greenhorn

Post by Super Scavenger »

Zarel wrote: Oh, there's no need to worry about that. It'll take months to build and manufacture anything, and years to research anything, anyway.
It looks like the idea has as much potential as that real-time tree growing sim.
NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by NEXUS »

Zarel wrote: I have a mod with total realism for you.

2. Go outside.
Good one Zarel :)

Yes a total realism mod would in reality (sorry bad pun) be not much fun.
My nicknames - Mattbrit -> TankMaster -> Dr Reed -> ??? :)
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Heavy cannons one shot all units when fully upgraded, all non heavy nexus units when not upgraded.
Only time it doesn't one shot, is before sabot upgrades, when the enemy tank had a certain level of composite armor upgrades (where is the chobham and reactive armor Upgrade?)

Tank killer AT one salvos all units when fully upgraded.

etc...
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

So... no go then?
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Maybe "total realism" is not the best name, zarel pointed out a quite notable realism issue that most rts:s seem to ignore. How long would it really take to build an advanced tank that uses newly researched technology? Most games that strive for total realism are more focused on commanding a single squad.
How about Hardcore Physically based mod?

Btw about flamers doing no damage to non-flammable stuff, thermite is so hot it cuts through steel, and the later incendiary weapons seem to utilize extremely hot-burning compounds. The first flamers would of course be almost totally ineffective against anything with thermal armour, but still effective against cyborgs , "soft" buildings and at least the early bunkers, or maybe not the bunker structure itself but the weapons and personnel inside.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Warzone's engine doesn't support hardcore physics. With the exception of build/manufacture/research/repair speed, its fluff does tend to be more realistic than most other games, but most game mechanics are simplified in favor of fun rather than realism.

I haven't tried it myself so I can't say for sure, but I think Spring has a more realistic engine. You'd probably be better off having realistic physics there than here in Warzone.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

That's propably true, I was thinking more of stuff that we can change such as weapon stats and stuff
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

yeah thats my meaning too
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

Lancefighter
Trained
Trained

Post by Lancefighter »

*nods* spring has considerably more options available for modders; I believe there is even a ww2 mod that is somewhat popular.

Spring can more easily include inertia effects and special damages than spring can it seems, but is less versatile; each unit typically has its set of weapons defined by the unit, not a weapons sheet someplace else (not saying weapon information cant be copy-pasted where applicable, just saying that it doesnt really include designing stuff)
3drts
Trained
Trained

Post by 3drts »

Go get operation flashpoint.

Download the scripted maps/ mods that turn it into an RTS game (where you can also play as a FPS), utilizing its Squad view feature.

-Which is only normally available on the easy/relaxed realism setting, players can make games where even third person view in a vehicle or on foot is disabled..... tanks become much harder to use effectively without third person view.
Then you have a choice between looking at the inside of the tank with functional viewing prisms, or switching to periscope view, and being limited by traverse rate (though you also get optical zoom), or you can stick your head outside the tank, and get a pretty good view (except what is right around the base of the tank, which you can't see), but then anybody with any sort of weapon can one shot you in the head, or 1-2 shot you in the torso (seems to be somewhat random, depending on weapon, and range, if torso shots are one shot kills, I don't think it was advanced enough to model if a critical internal organ like the heart was hit)

Oh and depending on the version, when commanding, you could be one-shot killed, and lose.
Shall we do that? you die if your HQ is destroyed, and then an AI takes over your forces and you just get to watch the rest of the game?