Do the AI Learn?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Logiwan-Kenobiquiet
Greenhorn

Do the AI Learn?

Post by Logiwan-Kenobiquiet »

I have a question for the developers:
Do the AI in Warzone learn from the player? Because, lately, they have been copying what I've been doing. Like, I would wait to build AA guns until I was air raided, and suddenly, the AI started waiting too! Then, I started using mortars a lot, and the next thing I knew, the AI were using mortars. And it seems like they know how I'm going to attack before I attack, so they are prepared. So I was just wondering if there IS a learning system in the game.
~Kenobiquiet
JDW
Regular
Regular

Re: Do the AI Learn?

Post by JDW »

I've noticed that too. Freaked me out the first time XD

What level of AI were you playing against? Easy, normal, or hard?
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Logiwan-Kenobiquiet
Greenhorn

Post by Logiwan-Kenobiquiet »

Um...I think hard. My cousin and I have been playing almost everyday since we got it. We usually set the AI at different levels, but mostly they are on hard.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Logiwan-Kenobiquiet wrote:Do the AI in Warzone learn from the player? Because, lately, they have been copying what I've been doing. Like, I would wait to build AA guns until I was air raided, and suddenly, the AI started waiting too! Then, I started using mortars a lot, and the next thing I knew, the AI were using mortars. And it seems like they know how I'm going to attack before I attack, so they are prepared.
The AI seems to be copying almost every attack you are trying. IMO, it has been made that way to make sure that the gamer has a fair game, i.e. a level-playing field. However, I'm no developer to comment on this. Probably someone knowledgeable will shed some light on matter soon.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

No, the current AI does not learn. Only the aivolution AI had some learning ability, and then it was only implemented as far as recognizing features of the map. The reason the AI is waiting with AA is that it always waits with AA until it is attack by VTOLs.

A learning AI sounds like a good idea until you try to reproduce bugs in it.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Per wrote:No, the current AI does not learn.
Ok, but does it copy our tactics?
-- Ambrose Bierce
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Per wrote:No, the current AI does not learn.
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:Ok, but does it copy our tactics?
Nope. For the A.I. to "copy" it would have to "record" a players moves and then from that recording imitate in RT. This type of A.I has been around for years but mostly used in console franchise sport Sims like Madden.

- RV :ninja:

JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Oh, ok then. :)
-- Ambrose Bierce
Outlaw325
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Outlaw325 »

I've noticed the AI will often wait on AA as well, which is why I tend to make sure any air attacks I send hit HARD. Either that or I don't bother with air attacks!

I don't see why you wait for an air raid to strike, it's better to preempt where they're gonna come from. Example being 8c-Ziggurat. I know the attacks'll come from the bottom, right, and sometimes bottom left, so I stick sets of 4 AA guns in each direction. Surprise surprise, air attacks come that way.

As for the learning AI, I don't think it learns much. Heck, I've often noticed it won't bother with heavy bodies till it gets Nexus' one, and by that point I've absolutely flattened them unless I just wait it out :P
Overkill- So rarely needed, so often fun.
Ubermad
Trained
Trained

Post by Ubermad »

it copied my tactics :augh: i always use VTOL's against the AIs, but now on resent games the AI hit me with VTOL before i get mine. as soon they get it they come with 2-3 VTOLs each raid, usually they charge with tanks and cyborgs... so i think there must be some kind of cycle of tactics they use. :hmm:
yay, lolcakez! *omnomnomnom*