- We have encountered hostiles!
- They are light-armed nomads, land troops equipped with anti-tank rocket launchers and machineguns.
- No sir. They seem more developed than our old buddies, yet their - a rocket blast prevented Luke from hearing some of his words - based on pre-collapse materials.
- Just run'em over.
- Aye sir. - said the tank's pilot, and the sound of assault guns and HPV cannons confirmed his order was received. - Engaging hos... Sir, we have airborne units they are... No wait... They're gone.
- Soldier? - asked Luke, impatiently, but he got no response, as the tanks were still engaging the nomads. A few moments and rounds later, Luke got his response:
- Sir, we have terminated the hostiles, and are ready to build an extraction base.
- How many wells are there? - asked Luke, over commlink, while he waved through the window for the master engineer leading the group of field engineers to get his attention.
- There is a cluster of three wells and a separate fourth well. No cover whatsoever, sir. - with those words, Luke made a "four" sign with his hands, followed by a hand pointing upwards, making a circular move.
- Good job, soldier. Maintain your position. The engineers are coming.
Within a few hours, the engineers had set up a small base comprised of the three wells and its exctrators, a few supercrete walls and hardpoints, and a sensor tower. Luke was about to recall those units for maintenance and rearming when his strategy screen went blank.
- Maintenance? - asked him over commlink - I'm having issues here. Fix it, please.
- Right away sir.
Luke stared into the black screen for some moments, waiting for the tech guy to arrive on his offices. Suddenly, the screen went lit, but with static only. Right after that, a green circle, resembling the Reed Corp. icon appeared as a background, followed by two swords crossed, over a tank which model Luke has never seen before. Then, a message came in:
"Attention, Intruder. You have attacked a member of the Coalition for resources. We do not tolerate those actions. That area was already designated for a group and shall remain so. Please hold while we determine an appropriate sector for your extraction processes.
The sound went mute for a few moments, during which the technician arrived at Luke's office. Luke asked him to wait, as another message came in:
"Attention, Intruder. The Core has not allowed you to join our ranks. Please make the spot you too vacant, or we will vacant it for you. -- Intruder. The Core has determined you are enemy of the Coalition, and shall be terminated as such. Coalition force Delta. Attack and retake the resources. Attack."
Right after those messages, Luke's strategy screen came back to normal, just in time to see units approaching his recently built extraction base.
Luke immediately sent the previous units back to that base to protect it.
- Incoming hostiles! - shouted a soldier manning the heavy cannon tower. His long range scanner detected green painted tanks approaching. However, they were using technologies similar than Omega's, as opposed to those nomads' tech. As the Coalition's tanks entered firing range, they opened fire on the base, aiming for the walls first. - Fire all towers! Now! - All towers started firing, aiming for the nearest tank. The Coalition's tanks were too strong, and didn't slowed down, even when under fire. One of the heavy cannon shells hit a tank's cannon, rendering it unusable. However, rather than turning back, the tank kept coming toward the base. Since it wasn't attacking anymore, the towers aimed at the other tanks, flamers and machineguns. The unnarmed tank kept approaching the base, and when it got close enough to the walls it selfdestructed exploding itself, creating a hole on the wall.
A cyborg transport landed and unloaded a platoon of flamer cyborgs, that proceeded to the wall breach. By that time, the reinforcements sent by Luke from Omega's base arrived, and opened fire on the cyborgs. Luke already put the resources gathered so far to build more units, including lasers. The cyborgs fell rather quickly to the machinegun fire from the assault gun tanks, but the tanks were still advancing. Finally, with quite a struggle, Omega managed to fend off Coalition's attack.
- Extraction base 1. Report
- Sir, we have suffered minor casualties. We have lost two tower men, and a flamer bunker has been disabled. We don't have enough men to scavenge the remains of the enemy's tanks, and we have a wall breach. All our resources are directed to repairing the base.
- Very well, lieutenant. I am sending some lasers and pepperpots to enhance the base's defence. However, I need you to direct more resources here, so I can restart the VTOL manufacturing ASAP. I'm sending 3 pepperpots and 2 pulse lasers.
- Acknowledged, sir. We are redirecting 75% of our power to Omega. Roger, out.