Why so many versions?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Why so many versions?

Post by Zarel »

Boris wrote:I will create campaign 4. But would you add them in wz main mod zarel?(for new version of warzone).
If its quality is sufficient, and other forum members agree, yes.
Boris
Trained
Trained

Post by Boris »

Ok..I have good idea for campaign4 (nexus revenge) and greate maps.It will be quality.
Much harder then campaign 3 and about 20 mission.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Hey Boris,

I saw that you made some nice maps, thanks..

City Sinkhole B , Otok , Worms , Open Map
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Boris wrote:Ok..I have good idea for campaign4 (nexus revenge) and greate maps.It will be quality.
Much harder then campaign 3 and about 20 mission.
IF you are going to write a 20-stage new campaign, I HIGHLY suggest the following:

A) Put out the first 2 or 3 stages first, before working on all 20
--- As Zarel indicated, a "new campaign" will only be entered into the "base" warzone game if the players (read: regular forumgoers) vote it in by it's own merits. Rather than create 20 stages and find out that not enough people like it enough to include it, give a "2 stage demo", which we can sample and offer feedback on.

B) find a native-english speaking assistant
--- Most (not all, but most) of the people playing this game are English speakers; I can tell by your posts that you are native to another language. If you are going to put forth an enthralling storyline, the presentation and grammar accuracy of it needs to at least be at the high-school graduate level. English being the mishmash of rules that it is, trying to do this yourself would probably be a good 75% of the time you spend making this campaign wasted on necessary-but-trivial aspects. (I cannot volunteer myself, my time constraints have already push my volunteer guide to the is-it-gonna-be-done-this-year point, and making that guide is nothing more than me playing through a stage 2-3 times and taking screenshots). Once the new campaign has been "voter approved", it can then be translated to other languages as necessary, and you can personally handle the one to your own native tongue.

C) Be willing to DO WORK
--- As veteran WZ players know, the game's default AI (which is the one you'd have to use if you want to make this part of the basic-install) has some serious limitations. If you have made Multiplayer-maps, that's a good start, but far from how a storyline-campaign is handled; as such, "interesting" occurrences during stages, and non-trivial difficulty levels, would have to be triggered via scripted events; you would therefore have to know how to script such events yourself to pull a new campaign off. Also, make sure you understand the difference between Alpha and Beta testing; making a stage and then dumping it in the code repository and asking people to test it won't work, as anyone who has ever tested software in any respect knows what happens if this is tried. You have to make a stage, test the HECK out of it (alpha), and then put it up for public beta testing so that people can find what you HADN'T thought of (beta). Also, don't take the cheap way out by having "difficulty" just mean that your opponent has 10x the units you do. That stopped being a fun way to implement difficulty around the days of Warcraft 1 :P .

D) Be willing to accept criticism
--- Ask Zarel about this one, he's made whole threads dedicated to one's ability to take "advice" :P . Basically though, if you are making a project "for the people", then you have to be willing to make something that "the people" want, EVEN IF that is something that you DON'T want. No matter how much you want to, say, make an all-air stage (for example, though I imagine that would actually be viewed favorably if pulled off well), if 95% of the WZ players say they DON'T want an air-stage, then you simply can't include one, nor can you get mad at people for having a differing opinion on what would be "good". You may of course try to change their minds, but that is easier said than done.

I recommend paying close attention to D, since just within this thread, I've noticed you already are decreeing that your opinion is more important that other people's; you state that what other people want in releases doesn't matter, as the only important thing is that a new campaign is made, and that bug-hunting is not as important. This is by definition untrue; what is "most important" in an open-source project very much IS what the majority of the people involved in said project want (within the tolerance level that a change doesn't fundamentally alter what the open-source project is about... if 95% of the WZ playerbase want WZ to be an RPG instead, then the proper way to handle THAT request is to make a new game called "Warzone Fantasy 3" separate from the current project)
banson
Rookie
Rookie

Post by banson »

i have enjoyed wz alot, and its fun to be able to play how it is. although some times id wish the ai would made lots more air units and had some on fighter patrols for you in skirms. and on all those maps where you have a defendable base like egypt.. they simply dont use ground well, so a huge air battle going on in those maps would be some thing interesting.

one thing i hope 3.0 has in a way is a playability that changes some times so ud never be sure u could play the map 2 times and know all there is to know about it or the enemy.

i just am saying, its been great fun all this time, just looking for some thing to be a bit diff though