Linux system compromised by backdoor Trojan

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Linux system compromised by backdoor Trojan

Post by JDW »

There's been some breaking news, Linux system compromised by backdoor Trojan. This has got something to do with the Unreal gaming client for Linux.

I hope the Warzone2100 administrators have the download servers secured, nice and tight. Just checking :P
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Saberuneko
Regular
Regular

Re: Linux system compromised by backdoor Trojan

Post by Saberuneko »

I'm sure that vulnerability will be fixed in question of days, as always happens with linux software.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

1. Unreal is an IRC daemon, not a gaming client.

2. Warzone doesn't run its own IRC servers; it uses FreeNode.

P.S. Read the first line of the article you link to :P
[Author's Note: The article has been modified to correct the assertion that Unreal IRC has any relation to Unreal--the first-person shooter developed by Epic Games.]
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:P.S. Read the first line of the article you link to :P
[Author's Note: The article has been modified to correct the assertion that Unreal IRC has any relation to Unreal--the first-person shooter developed by Epic Games.]
Well I'll be damned, it wasn't there when I read it :lol2:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

A little something that every Linux user here should know to secure their systems,

Five tips for improving Linux security
-- Ambrose Bierce
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

You know, this is also a good reason to not allow 3rd parties to make warzone builds, since you never know what they stick in them.

The devs should make a md5 checksum of the warzone2100.exe file.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Crymson wrote:You know, this is also a good reason to not allow 3rd parties to make warzone builds, since you never know what they stick in them.

The devs should make a md5 checksum of the warzone2100.exe file.
We used to have them. They'll be back once I find a good place on the Download page to stick them.

Honestly, checksumming should be a feature of HTTP, not something you have to do manually.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

We used to have them. They'll be back once I find a good place on the Download page to stick them.
How about right next to the files they go with?
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

stiv wrote:
How about right next to the files they go with?
That looks too ugly and confusing. Use JS to make a dropdown or something...
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

stiv wrote:How about right next to the files they go with?
Define "right next to". To the right of? To the left of? Above? Below? Should we explain what they are, or just give them a string and hope people who don't understand what they are will ignore it?
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:Should we explain what they are, or just give them a string and hope people who don't understand what they are will ignore it?
I suggest that you don't mention what MD5 is meant for, but do provide a link to some authentic documentation recommending the use of MD5 checksum, and display the text See why using MD5 is recommended or some other appropriate wordings.

P.S: Personally, I would prefer the checksum displayed, to the right of the Download button for the game.. But it's your call..
-- Ambrose Bierce
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

thats all well and good, but, who reads anymore, everyone just wants to get to the good stuff, to hell with reading the manual or the READ ME.txt or whatever it is called .... :annoyed: yes i am being somewhat sarcastic.... everyone should read the manual at least once. XD
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

If you don't want to put the text next to it, you could have a md5 link, or just put it in the release announcement ?

lav_coyote25, :lol2: you think people can't read these days? :roll:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:I suggest that you don't mention what MD5 is meant for, but do provide a link to some authentic documentation recommending the use of MD5 checksum, and display the text See why using MD5 is recommended or some other appropriate wordings.
Good idea; I'll do that.
j0shdrunk0nwar wrote:P.S: Personally, I would prefer the checksum displayed, to the right of the Download button for the game.. But it's your call..
But we often have two download buttons next to each other - see the Mac OS X version on the Download page, or the Videos. Where would we put the MD5 then?
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Zarel wrote:But we often have two download buttons next to each other - see the Mac OS X version on the Download page, or the Videos. Where would we put the MD5 then?
Ah, yes, would get too crowded..
-- Ambrose Bierce