Help me out here, read for details!

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
NaxShaleChan
Trained
Trained

Help me out here, read for details!

Post by NaxShaleChan »

Hi,

I'm a junior in high school and I'm going to be starting to apply for colleges next year. Anybody already in college, and juniors and seniors in high school know this feeling. I'm going to need cash, scholarships, everything I can get. So, I've submitted my favorite YouTube video to Brickfish in one of their contests. Help me out and vote for it!

Vote for my Brickfish entry!

Thanks!
-HChanMan

PS, If anybody is good with rules and legal stuff, could you do me a favor and read through the rules of submission. I read through them, and from what I've seen of other entries, you can pick any video off YouTube. However, the rules and regulations say that it has to be a video you made. I'm a bit curious if using this music video (that I did NOT make), violates the rules. +Rep if you can answer me this question.
-"Gravity is not responsible for people falling in love." -Albert Einstein

Soldier: General, we're surrounded!
General: Good, then we can attack in all directions!
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: Help me out here, read for details!

Post by Olrox »

NaxShaleChan wrote: PS, If anybody is good with rules and legal stuff, could you do me a favor and read through the rules of submission. I read through them, and from what I've seen of other entries, you can pick any video off YouTube. However, the rules and regulations say that it has to be a video you made. I'm a bit curious if using this music video (that I did NOT make), violates the rules. +Rep if you can answer me this question.
It's probably against the license of the video and against the rules of the contest. What you are doing can be considered thievery, for you are gaining credits of someone's else work. If the video is licensed under CC-0 you can say that it's IF you've modified it. It's like if I download Blender as it is and start to sell saying that I've made it. If I've modifyied it in any way, however, that's another story, as the license says...

Put short, what you are doing is obviously illegal, probably in two ways, and at least one - the first and certain illegal act is that you are applying for a contest with something that you didn't make, and the contest's rules says that you can only apply with content you've made. The second one, which depends on the license of the video, is that you could be violating the rights of the author of the video.

Neither of what you're doing is right to do, IMO. You'll probably end up with credits for things that you know that aren't yours. Thievery is just a little step ahead if you feel ok by doing this. :?

~Olrox
NaxShaleChan
Trained
Trained

Post by NaxShaleChan »

Thanks for that. I kind of guessed as much without the moral lecture. Hmm, just strikes me as odd because it seems that they would put it that way. I've seen plenty of other entries where it's obviously not their work. Hmm... I'll send in an email and ask Brickfish. Thanks for the second opinion.

Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

NaxShaleChan wrote: I've seen plenty of other entries where it's obviously not their work.
I've heard tell “There is honor among thieves.” Perhaps this is such an occasion for after all it is also said that “The thief is sorry he is to be hanged, not that he is a thief.” :lol2:

- RV 8)

NaxShaleChan
Trained
Trained

Post by NaxShaleChan »

Well, hey, as it turns out, I'm perfectly in the right. I messaged the Brickfish company and asked them about the rules of play and they said I am perfectly within the rules to submit whatever video "I" think is the best video on YouTube. I'm not taking credit for the maker's work, merely for my opinion that it is my favorite. :D Big relief. And if I were out of the rules, I WOULD have removed my entry. I might not be the world's best person, but I can follow rules, and I know what goes into legal work...

Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

NaxShaleChan wrote:I might not be the world's best person, but I can follow rules, and I know what goes into legal work...
NaxShaleChan wrote:However, the rules and regulations say that it has to be a video you made. I'm a bit curious if using this music video (that I did NOT make), violates the rules.
Do I need to say anything? I think not.

For me life is all about conquests, and I'd rather end my own than live with credits for someone else's work. I don't expect you to think like that, I'm just thinking loudly about my own morality.

sh*t, that kind of stuff makes me depressed.

Olrox.
NaxShaleChan
Trained
Trained

Post by NaxShaleChan »

Well thanks anyway. I appreciated the second opinion. And I know the feeling, I hate getting credit for other people's work. But the one thing I hate more than that...

Is other people getting credit for MY work. :evil: And its happened all to often for my liking...

Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

NaxShaleChan wrote:Well thanks anyway. I appreciated the second opinion. And I know the feeling, I hate getting credit for other people's work. But the one thing I hate more than that...

Is other people getting credit for MY work. :evil: And its happened all to often for my liking...
Then why are you going to do the same thing that you hate?
Well, perhaps you can't change the world. But you can at least change yourself or try to change the people closest to you.

~Olrox
NaxShaleChan
Trained
Trained

Post by NaxShaleChan »

Because I'm not... I'm not taking credit for the movie. I'm taking credit for my opinion of the movie. The contest asks contestants to pick their favorite video from YouTube. That's what I did. I picked a video and wrote a paragraph about why I think it is the best video on YouTube. It's not about who made the video, it's about what the viewer thinks about the video.

Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

NaxShaleChan wrote:Because I'm not... I'm not taking credit for the movie. I'm taking credit for my opinion of the movie. The contest asks contestants to pick their favorite video from YouTube. That's what I did. I picked a video and wrote a paragraph about why I think it is the best video on YouTube. It's not about who made the video, it's about what the viewer thinks about the video.
It's very strange. As you've mentioned, the rules said that it had to be a video that you've made, but then you said that the company told you that it's okay to use a video that you didn't make...

Well, again, I'm trying to hold from trying to find my own morality in you - if you feel okay by doing that, it's up to you. I wouldn't, because even if it's legal, it would make me feel so bad I'd probably feel ashamed to look at myself at the mirror. That's true because I feel like that. You don't seem to, unfortunately.

~Olrox
NaxShaleChan
Trained
Trained

Post by NaxShaleChan »

Just an update, I'm up to 53rd. Even if you don't agree with my use of the video, I'd appreciate it if you'd support the entry for the message the song delivers.

http://www.brickfish.com/Pages/VideosSe ... i=41259418