www.theflatearthsociety.org

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

Can you believe some people actually think the world is flat? O_o

This site is good for a little humor. :)
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Pangaea
Trained
Trained

Re: www.theflatearthsociety.org

Post by Pangaea »

Some people believe a man created the universe too. It's a strange world.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Problem with those kinds of people, is that you can never tell which ones are joking.

coughlikecypcough
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

whaaaaat??? you mean its not flat????? O_o

now what is this about a man creating everything?? i thought it was the mice that did that... "hitchhikers guide ..." xD and the answer is 47 right?
Tiberian
Trained
Trained

Post by Tiberian »

rofl
Pangaea
Trained
Trained

Post by Pangaea »

lav_coyote25 wrote:whaaaaat??? you mean its not flat????? O_o

now what is this about a man creating everything?? i thought it was the mice that did that... "hitchhikers guide ..." xD and the answer is 47 right?
The stuff about lizards had me laughing pretty hard too :D
masha08
New user

Post by masha08 »

That is quite funny and weird. I thought the debate on the earth's shape has been over for many centuries now ? Hahaha !
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

masha08 wrote:That is quite funny and weird. I thought the debate on the earth's shape has been over for many centuries now ? Hahaha !
What? Did those mad, evil, unbelieving scientists finally realize that earth isn't round???
:lol2:
Earth, round? What a stupid idea 8)

~Olrox
icefire
Trained
Trained

Post by icefire »

Some Silly Person wrote:The modern age of the Flat Earth Society dates back to the early 1800's ...
Isn't the difference between the 1800's and the present is that we can fly out there and actually look at the Earth now :?

This has GOT to be a joke, unless they are absolutely determined to live in self delusion.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

icefire wrote:
Isn't the difference between the 1800's and the present is that we can fly out there and actually look at the Earth now :?

This has GOT to be a joke, unless they are absolutely determined to live in self delusion.
I wondered how they dealt with this. They would have to, you would think. And they do.

This is what they have to say on this point in their wiki which I'll quote from this link:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki ... hotographs
High Altitude Photographs

Most amateur pictures of the earth are not doctored. Flat Earth Theory holds that there is elliptical curvature from the edge of space, one hundred miles in altitude. Any photograph showing a curved elliptical horizon from very high altitudes poses no affront to FE.

Example: http://www.natrium42.com/halo/flight2/

Curvature results from the fact that on a flat earth we are looking down at the circular spotlight of the sun. A circle is always curved in two dimensions. When looking down at the circular area of the sun's light upon the earth we see elliptical curvature.

Why can't we see all of the continents of the earth from the edge of space?

Although the observer is looking downwards at the circle of the sun's spotlight, the distant continents of the earth are still tens of thousands of miles away horizontally from the observer, and thus beyond the resolution of the human eye and merged with the line of the horizon, squished into indiscernibility and faded with the thickness of the atmosphere.

This is why the view is limited to the immediate vicinity below the observer, and why the land fades into a blueish fog as it recedes. The far distant horizon, upon which all is squished into imperceptiveness, is only sending light from which the rays of the sun reach. The darkened areas around the curve is in night.

We can confirm that we are looking down at the sun's circle of light upon the earth by noting that shots from amateur high altitude balloons show an elliptical horizon. If the earth were a globe, curving downwards in three dimensions, all curvature seen in photographs would appear as an arc of a circle. However, curvature does not appear as an arc of a circle. The Earth is elliptical in all amateur space photographs. A striking indication of a Flat Earth.

The only pictures which show the horizon as an arc of a circle are NASA's space photography. NASA is a fraudulent organization and is not to be trusted.

- RV O_o
icefire
Trained
Trained

Post by icefire »

So what happens when you fly a plane around- ahem, according to them, across the earth? Is there some sort of dimensional flux that teleports everything back to the other side?
NASA aren't the only ones with high orbit satellites. What about Russia?

If the earth was flat then wouldn't there be global day/night cycles?
And what about seismic activity detected across the Earth, from directly below a sensors position?
Or pretty much every other example of evidence that pretty much blows this theory into pieces.
Really you don't need much other than common sense to really prove this thing wrong.

After reading the wiki a little bit, I came across the moon, and how nasa obviously faked it's landing. (should I really have been surprised?)
Now until then I've been chuckling at all the excuses they give as to how the earth is flat and why the government would lie to you.

However people that say the moon landing was faked seems to rub me the wrong way in all the wrong places.
To say one of the greatest achievements of man to date is fake, is to insult all the people that worked hard and died for the project. I stopped reading the site after that.

This is a classic example of 'everyone else is wrong but me' syndrome.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

icefire wrote:(...)
Really you don't need much other than common sense to really prove this thing wrong.
(...)
This is a classic example of 'everyone else is wrong but me' syndrome.
Actually, the worst thing caused by social life is to believe that what we only believe right now is the truth, based only on each others guesses - that is common sense, knowledge is something apart: scientific method serves a real purpose. Back in the middle ages, people all thought that natural disasters were caused by the gods, and that made a lot of sense for everyone, so whoever said otherwise was mad.

The problem isn't that there is a single person that thinks about something, also - geniuses act like that, most of the time :hmm:
But see, arguing about something that is deeply related to how physics apply to everything else in our world is indeed nonsense - the advancements in sciences throughout the last couple of centuries allowed us to be absolutely sure about some things that happen here on earth - magnetism and superficial tension is indeed enough to think about why the earth is really "rounded" (geoid to be absolutely precise).

If you take a look at a drop of water while it is suspended in mid-air, you can see that it's perfectly round. If you take a look at how mercury behaves, you'll see that it also is round-shaped: until the drop's weight surpasses the superficial tension, that's when it starts to look flattened. Flattened, because there isn't gravity inside the drop of mercury (but rather the force of intermolecular attraction, which is really small in relation to the earth's gravity).

The way that the minerals are layered in our world isn't just luck, the rotation speed and gravity itself made them to be layered like that - and a "rounded" shape is the ideal shape of anything that is mostly submitted to superficial tension (earth is on the vacuum, there is no drag, and the movement is stable in some million years already, no problems with acceleration or something - both for rotation and translation).

If anyone can show me a flat drop of water floating on the air I could think about the theory, before that, it doesn't make sense, given the universal physics qualities I've mentioned.

Or are physics also manipulated by the government to alienate us? :lol2:

~Olrox
icefire
Trained
Trained

Post by icefire »

Well, thanks for pointing out that I contradicted myself.

You should make that post in their forum (if they have one) Olrox, see what they say.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

icefire wrote:Well, thanks for pointing out that I contradicted myself.

You should make that post in their forum (if they have one) Olrox, see what they say.
Nah, they'll be much more deeply convinced if they reach a point where they see their own contradictions. If they don't, it's because they don't want to see the truth, and that's an individual's choice :wink:

We all should respect freedom, no matter the proportions of the follies someone may commit. That is, of course that punishment is occasionally necessary when someone's foolishness prejudices the society, overall. Thinking that the Earth is flat is pretty harmless IMO, such as coming up with paranoid conspiracy theories - if it's true, then that's a good thing someone thought of it. If it isn't true, so what? :hmm:

~Olrox
BulletMagnet
Trained
Trained

Post by BulletMagnet »

someone once told me that if you read about in the legal pages of that site they drop hints that they're taking the piss the entire time.