Mac compatibility testing PLEASE READ

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.

Your experiences with this build of Warzone (SELECT ALL THAT APPLY)

Have a PPC Mac, performance is adequate
6%
Have a PPC Mac, performance is is too slow
No votes
Using OS X 10.4, performance is adequate
6%
Using OS X 10.4, performance is too slow
No votes
Have an Intel Mac 10.5+, performance is adequate
32%
Have an Intel Mac 10.5+, performance is too slow
No votes
Do not have a Mac
55%

Total votes: 31

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Mac compatibility testing PLEASE READ

Post by Zarel »

Everyone with a Mac, look here. Everyone else, well, this doesn't really apply to you (I added a "do not have a Mac" poll option, so at least you won't have to leave feeling unfulfilled. ;) ).

Here's a pre-release version of Warzone 3.0 for Mac. (For now; it may eventually be taken down)

Download Warzone 2100 3.0 pre-alpha r9345

DO NOT REPORT BUGS IN THIS VERSION; THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN FIXED. Don't worry about bugs - this version is to test performance - we know it isn't stable in some places.

As noted in several places, 3.0 has higher system requirements than 2.3. So we want to see how high. Try it out, and report back with your experiences.
Sraer
New user

Re: Mac compatibility testing PLEASE READ

Post by Sraer »

Tested it on my Mac Mini 2.0 and I thought performance was good:

Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB of memory
120 GB Hard drive
Nvidia GeForce 9400M graphics
Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard

I really like the new dimmed fog that shows where we have previously been.

Thanks for the great game (My first posting, so i figured I would mention it here via :ninja: )
Last edited by Sraer on 21 Jan 2010, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Tested on my brother's Imac, got excellent performance:

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

250 GB Hard drive

Unknown Graphics card, but it is apparently adequate.

MAC OS X 10.5.8 Leopard

Excellent new textures and models!

Also, ran across a bug. Uncertain if this is just due to 3.0's current status, but in Skirmish mode, only building units and building structures uses up power. Also, 3.0 refuses to save. Should I file a bug report?
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Assault Gunner wrote:Also, ran across a bug. Uncertain if this is just due to 3.0's current status, but in Skirmish mode, only building units and building structures uses up power. Also, 3.0 refuses to save. Should I file a bug report?
You can file a bug report if you want.

Are you sure only building units and structures uses power? 3.0 has a different power system; perhaps research just uses power too slowly for you to notice?
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

I have an older PPC Mac, running 10.5.8.
Overall game speed seems ok to me; although I'm mostly playing single player campaign.
and somewhat slowed down except when nothing is going on. Load/startup seems a bit slower,
but that doesn't bug me terribly.
I'm fairly new to Warzone, so I don't have the greatest experience to draw on.
(Been playing 2.2.4 for a couple of weeks now).
I can test more later.

Keith
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Zarel wrote:
Assault Gunner wrote:Also, ran across a bug. Uncertain if this is just due to 3.0's current status, but in Skirmish mode, only building units and building structures uses up power. Also, 3.0 refuses to save. Should I file a bug report?
You can file a bug report if you want.

Are you sure only building units and structures uses power? 3.0 has a different power system; perhaps research just uses power too slowly for you to notice?
How does the new power system work? If it's a pay-as-you-go type of thing, then it might be using power to slowly for me to notice.
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Assault Gunner wrote:How does the new power system work? If it's a pay-as-you-go type of thing, then it might be using power to slowly for me to notice.
Yeah, it's like that.
Mr Wolf
New user

Post by Mr Wolf »

While actual game play is good and textures look great.
Still a little buggy and crashes from time to time.

Please note my strategies include limited number of units used strategically so if you are a user that uses hundreds of tanks through the front door things may be different.

overall GOOD Stuff people keep up the great work.

Specs,
MacBook Pro
OSX 10.5.8
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M / 9600M GT
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Mr Wolf wrote:While actual game play is good and textures look great.
Still a little buggy and crashes from time to time.

Please note my strategies include limited number of units used strategically so if you are a user that uses hundreds of tanks through the front door things may be different.

overall GOOD Stuff people keep up the great work.

Specs,
MacBook Pro
OSX 10.5.8
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M / 9600M GT
Hmm, I don't get any problems at all, using the exact same specs, but 10.6.2. If you can afford a 15"+ MacBook Pro, you can afford $29 for Snow Leopard. ;)

Can you report any of your crashes? When it crashes, there should be an error message, with a "Details" button. Click "Details", then copy+paste the text it gives you here.
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Zarel wrote: Yeah, it's like that.
Okay, then it isn't a bug. And saving does work, the game just crashed for some other reason when I was saving. If I find it, I'll tell you.
Mr Wolf
New user

Post by Mr Wolf »

I have no problem with the $29 it is just that i use my computer at work and I need the three screens (achieved with a matrox dualhead2go)

I do not see 10.6 on the compatibility chart (although I believe it should work)
and besides Im happy with 10.5 and will upgrade when i get my next Mac (13 months and counting)

As for the error reports do you want them here or http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket or ???

Did i miss the Note for OS X here? http://wz2100.net/download#Beta2.3_beta82010-01-20 or was the link to the Drivers just added?

I like the new Challenges added but have to ask was there ever any talk of adding different campaigns?
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

The full purpose(A.K.A one and only) of the campaign is to teach you how to play the game, and the advantages and disadvantages of the various weapons.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Mr Wolf wrote:As for the error reports do you want them here or http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket or ???
Either is fine. The bug tracker is a bit broken, so let's paste them here for now.
Mr Wolf wrote:Did i miss the Note for OS X here? http://wz2100.net/download#Beta2.3_beta82010-01-20 or was the link to the Drivers just added?
It was added a few days ago. But it still applies - if you have a Mac with an Nvidia graphics card, you'd benefit from upgrading to Snow Leopard.
Mr Wolf wrote:I like the new Challenges added but have to ask was there ever any talk of adding different campaigns?
Well, users will have to make them, first. Adding campaigns is fairly difficult, what with WZScript and all. :/
Mr Wolf
New user

Post by Mr Wolf »

Zarel,
as requested one error report.

I was scrolling around the map. Level in campaign when you first load a transport.
I don't know it it is significant but I run Warzone in window mode.
was also using:
biffer Baker
double up
whale fin
Attachments
Untitled 2.rtf
(26.65 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Mr Wolf wrote:I was scrolling around the map. Level in campaign when you first load a transport.
I don't know it it is significant but I run Warzone in window mode.
was also using:
biffer Baker
double up
whale fin
By the way, "biffer baker" and "double up" replace each other - you can only keep one active at a time. "Double up" is a difficulty level where you take half damage. "Biffer baker" is a difficulty level where you take 10% damage and do 10x damage.