Warzone 3.0 Graphics

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Warzone 3.0 Graphics

Post by lav_coyote25 »

let us be the judge. :3
Assault Gunner
Trained
Trained

Post by Assault Gunner »

Amazing terrain upgrades! Well done, whoever did that!
"There is no greater Void than the one between your ears." - Void Ray, StarCraft 2.
Especially the Void between the ears of people who think that No VTOL is a good idea, and won't lead to arty wars. I've won one, and I have to say: I hated it.
Ceiling Cat
Trained
Trained

Post by Ceiling Cat »

I could whip a few raw meshes, as long as nobody will object to slight changes in design.

What I would suggest improving first, are textures(32 bit please?) and if anyone's up to take this pain in the butt mission - add per pixel lighting. Why? It's a much better way to add far detail than hi-poly meshes, and creates less lag than if you were to render this all with triangles alone. A few simple OpenGL filters like bloom would also refresh the graphics a little bit.

This game has a good story setting, and an unique gameplay model - while it's all ruined by graphics that make it look like toy fights in a pixelated sandbox.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Ceiling Cat wrote:I could whip a few raw meshes, as long as nobody will object to slight changes in design.

What I would suggest improving first, are textures(32 bit please?) and if anyone's up to take this pain in the butt mission - add per pixel lighting. Why? It's a much better way to add far detail than hi-poly meshes, and creates less lag than if you were to render this all with triangles alone. A few simple OpenGL filters like bloom would also refresh the graphics a little bit.

This game has a good story setting, and an unique gameplay model - while it's all ruined by graphics that make it look like toy fights in a pixelated sandbox.
you are delegated with this job - thankyou!! its been quite a while since anyone has actually wanted to do this. :3 :3 :3 :)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Although make sure not to make anything too high-poly. Units are pretty small most of the time, y'know.
Ilr
Trained
Trained

Post by Ilr »

Ceiling Cat wrote:I could whip a few raw meshes, as long as nobody will object to slight changes in design.

I take it that means bumpmapping is out of the question?
Is there some kind of other shortcut... like in photoshop ...you have in mind for reshading every single skin?
theArmourer
Trained
Trained

Post by theArmourer »

I'm no artist, but refining the buildings textures and detail work (e.g. rounding out the power generator) should be enough to make them match the terrain modification.
~theArmourer
Deonis
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Deonis »

amazing work! =) , but im dnt understend, do you plane use a shaders or/and physics effects in this game engine? What need for this from developer? another game angine or time and dev.people? =)
My 3D reality - https://itvista.ru
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

make it look like toy fights in a pixelated sandbox
You are going to *love* the HelloKitty mod.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I don't know what we'll have when 3.0 is out, but the Art Revolution Project aims exactly towards making better-looking graphics (and perhaps something else but that comes after the graphics) for Warzone 2100, mantaining the original style as far as it won't hurt the main purpose itself, so that the game doesn't look like it was from the past millenium (sounds like a whole lot of time if we think about it like that :hmm: ).

I humbly suggest that any effort in making new, more detailed models, that mantain the original style, should be added to Art Revolution as it's goals are of the best interest of the whole community, and there's a lot of work to do. Any graphical production stage is important, so if someone isn't good at modeling, but it's very good at texturing, for example, he's absolutely welcome to join us if he likes. Even very basic textures or mere UV mapping is VERY helpful.

That said, not to generate any trouble - I'm not saying that AR graphics are going to be used for 3.0. I'm saying that we're doing our best so that AR graphics could very well be used for 3.0. :)

If anyone's interested in joining us, please PM me or post a request in our forums - http://artrev2100.sourceforge.net/forum.html - we'll be glad to evaluate your skills and efforts, so that you can also help us improving Warzone!

~Olrox

EDIT: Fixed the link
Last edited by Olrox on 23 May 2010, 21:57, edited 2 times in total.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Last edited by macuser on 30 May 2010, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
AGeiisz
New user

Post by AGeiisz »

that looks nice :D
When in doubt, Medium cannons win :D
XHero_of_ChaosX
Trained
Trained

Post by XHero_of_ChaosX »

Very nice, i like it. :)
What is at a peak is certain to decline. He who shows his hand will surely be defeated. He who can prevail in battle by taking advantage of his enemy's doubts is invincible. ~Cão Cão