Forum Members Activity

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Forum Members Activity

Post by KukY »

I looked at list of all users, and what I saw was very bad.
Lot of numbers about this forums members.
NOTE: Numbers listed here are not accurate. They are estimations. They may bounce from real stats very much.
f.e. forum has 2568 members but my calculations ( everything is estimation! ) say that it has 3320 members.
Percentages are the most accurate part of this statistic.

List has 129 pages.
Each page has around 20 members listed.

From page 129 to 88 are members that have 0 posts.
41 pages=820 members=24,7%

From page 87 to 65 are members that have 1 post (Better than 0.) .
42 pages=840 members=25,3%

From page 86 to 20 are members that have 2-10 posts.
66 pages= 1320 members=39,7%

Around 90% members of this forum don't do anything! That is sad. Even sadder when I say you that one of those is a Developer - iamtheari - has only 8 posts.

From page 19 to 7 are members that have 11-50 posts
12 pages=240 members=7,2%

From page 6 to 4 are members that have 50-100 posts
2 pages=40 members=1,2%

From page 3 to page 1 are members that have 100-1000 posts
2 pages=(accurate now)54 members=1,5%

On page 1 are 6 members that have 1000+ posts=0,1%
Those 6 members with most posts are; from first to last:
  • Zarel - Of course, who else would it be?
  • Buginator - Also very active developer.
  • DevUrandom - He is one of first who joined this forum.
  • lav_coyote25 - Hmm... What to write? Moderator?
  • whippersnapper - Normal user in TOP6? May be weird,but numbers don't lie. (Maybe are unaccurate sometimes.)
  • Per - Developer that barely got on this list. Has 1009 posts.
I hope you'll find this useful.
Enjoy!( Actualy, who enjoyes in numbers? )
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Forum Members Activity

Post by Mysteryem »

I don't even know who iamtheari is. :-S
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

You could check project staff. :P

http://wz2100.net/about

Ari was the one who first ported Warzone to Mac OS X - a huge contribution. iirc, he was probably mostly active on the IRC channel and ML.

Whippersnapper posts more than it appears. The only reason he's not closer to #3 is because his posting is spread out over three accounts: whippersnapper, Rman_Virgil, and Moro_Nick.

Devu is also a developer, by the way. He's just currently inactive. Per's plenty active.

90% of the members of any forum don't do anything. People who sign up and then forget their password... People who sign up, then change their mind... People who just wanted to use the search feature, or just want to read, etc... Just ignore them.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

More statistics:

6 (top) members(0,1%) hold 25% of all posts.

50% members that have 0 or 1 post hold 2% of all posts.

Rest of members , 49,9% of all members hold 73% of all posts.

Now let's calculate ratios:
25/0,1=250

2/50=0,04

73/49,9=1,5~

Extremely unbalanced!
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I'm having difficulty trying to figure out why "average activity per user" is an important stat... I mean, this is a free project done by people voluntarily; it's not like we need a marketing metric to eb sure we are turning maximum profit :P
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

themousemaster wrote:I'm having difficulty trying to figure out why "average activity per user" is an important stat... I mean, this is a free project done by people voluntarily; it's not like we need a marketing metric to eb sure we are turning maximum profit :P
well for one it is important to understand how well the forum as an information propagation medium is doing its job, for another it is nice to know the behaviour trends of our fellow warzonians just for the sake of knowlege.
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

Let's face it, it is perfectly normal situation and it seems to me that you discover something that the world knows about already.

Almost all forums have those problems, especially if they are not deleting "suspicious" nick names. (a lot of those silent members are bots probably)

And I would not call it "a problem". Just as I said, this is normal. If you want any statistics, just ask developers how many downloads of WZ they have.
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Post by GiGaBaNE »

guciomir wrote:Let's face it, it is perfectly normal situation and it seems to me that you discover something that the world knows about already.

Almost all forums have those problems, especially if they are not deleting "suspicious" nick names. (a lot of those silent members are bots probably)

And I would not call it "a problem". Just as I said, this is normal. If you want any statistics, just ask developers how many downloads of WZ they have.
not so sure that would be the most accurate statistic either, i for example have downloaded 2.2.4 about 9 times and the 2.3 around 4 times already
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

About Whip's post count, keep in mind also that his posts are the biggest and most consistent ones around. However, the number of posts only isn't that good to determine wether a member is active or not - there are many people who just post brief comments, or just come here to throw sh*t to the skies, running out before it falls.
And also, there are some people I know that have well under 500 posts, and have produced incredible content and helped with great feedback and ideas.

Probably those "activity" statistics would be better depicted by a word counter rather than a post counter, but that would bring huge numbers to the table. Hmm, perhaps a words/post/joined date would represent a proper activity. But even that wouldn't tell either the post is good/bad quality.

I used to like back in 2007 and 2008, when there were soooo much less fluff-makers :rolleyes:

However, we have to stick with the good members we currently have in the community, and hope that new ones joins us. Because, you know, those 0~10 post guys aren't going to even read this ;)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

BTW, just because someone doesn't post much here in the forums, doesn't mean they are not active...
While Per may have a low post count here, he has allot more "commits" (postings) to the codebase, and that gets overlooked.

It all boils down to how much time that person has.

Oh, and BTW, I still consider myself "inactive", AFAIK, most of my posts were from quite awhile ago.
and it ends here.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Buginator wrote:While Per may have a low post count here
Well, I find it almost unbelievable that I have written over a thousand posts to this forum...

+1
NaxShaleChan
Trained
Trained

Post by NaxShaleChan »

I find this thread majorly "LoL". Like guciomir said... It's pretty normal for a forum to be like that. While I've seen a few forums where there really are a lot of members consistently active, for the most part, forums have a less than 25% active user rate... Or perhaps more accurately, active poster rate.
-"Gravity is not responsible for people falling in love." -Albert Einstein

Soldier: General, we're surrounded!
General: Good, then we can attack in all directions!
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Per wrote:
Buginator wrote:While Per may have a low post count here
Well, I find it almost unbelievable that I have written over a thousand posts to this forum...

+1

your a regular chaty kathy you are... xD