What the use of Towers ?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
D.Durand
Trained
Trained

What the use of Towers ?

Post by D.Durand »

I can't understand the use of the "towers". A tower seem to be the same thing than a hard point with holes and less body points.

Some advices ?
JorgeAldo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: What the use of Towers ?

Post by JorgeAldo »

a tower can fire above the concrete wall.

you place it like this :

* = bunkers and emplacements
+ = concrete hardpoints
! = towers
- = normal concrete walls

This side to the enemy

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

This way you have 3 levels, a low bunker, a med hardpoint and a tall tower, all firing at the same time.

Edit : Yes, i am a turtle...
Last edited by JorgeAldo on 23 Jan 2007, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
D.Durand
Trained
Trained

Post by D.Durand »

yes, but a Hard Point can fire above the concrete wall, too.
JorgeAldo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JorgeAldo »

but not above another hardpoint
D.Durand
Trained
Trained

Post by D.Durand »

Wuh ? The rules have changed ? Hard points can shoot above other Hard points...
JorgeAldo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JorgeAldo »

ok, but the original developers cheated their way in this...

The idea was to have 4 levels, each with inimpended line of sight from the other

bunker - hardpoint - tower - indirects

that makes sense. But unfortunately they did not develop a true line of sight algoritm so the tower height advantage was lost...

But with watermelon changes, at least, the towers have the advantage of firing from a higher position (and when the ai is patched to refuse to fire when in danger of hitting friendlies, and the combat system is enabled to check friendly fire, the towers will be a must to increase firepower at a wall...
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Didn't watermelon jsut tell me today in another thread that friendlies will be exempt from the projectile collision checks?
JorgeAldo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JorgeAldo »

yes, but he said that this is because current ai cant handle this yet...
D.Durand
Trained
Trained

Post by D.Durand »

Ok. Then, in the future, a LOF need to be free of objects for hit the target ?

If i create a new structure, say a Tower two time higher than normal towers, with normal descriptions in the Stats files, the new tower can fire below the others structure more easily and have a greater range ?
JorgeAldo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JorgeAldo »

yes, from what the current svn code does... looks like droids are even able to hit a command center in an elevated position from a lower position by just hitting the top of the building (in earlier code they apparently aimed for the base of the building, now the appear to aim at any exposed building part)... looks like some sort of collision detection was added to the projectiles...

but this is all subjective impressions, watermelon knows better...

i can give you a windows compiled svn version if you want to see (but there are still a lot of bugs, not very playable)
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

JorgeAldo wrote: yes, from what the current svn code does... looks like droids are even able to hit a command center in an elevated position from a lower position by just hitting the top of the building (in earlier code they apparently aimed for the base of the building, now the appear to aim at any exposed building part)... looks like some sort of collision detection was added to the projectiles...

but this is all subjective impressions, watermelon knows better...

i can give you a windows compiled svn version if you want to see (but there are still a lot of bugs, not very playable)
WZ uses raycasts(1-360 rays per cast) to test line of sight/visibility,I didnt change that iirc.

btw what are those bugs that make the svn 'not very playable'?
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
JorgeAldo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JorgeAldo »

Because it stops back to desktop randonly (or aparently randonly) leaving a huge stderr.txt file :P
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

JorgeAldo wrote: Because it stops back to desktop randonly (or aparently randonly) leaving a huge stderr.txt file :P
hmmm... zip up the file and send it along.... :D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

towers are also cheaper than hardpoints, which is another reason to use them as a row behind hardpoints instead of having a second row of hardpoints. on a side note, if you change that diagram to

+++++++++++++++++++++
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

then you end up spending a little bit more, but trucks are able to repair all your rear defenses safely (cheaper than having to rebuild).
Watermelon wrote: WZ uses raycasts(1-360 rays per cast) to test line of sight/visibility,I didnt change that iirc.

btw what are those bugs that make the svn 'not very playable'?
that sounds extremely expensive for what is necessary. if raycasting was the way to go, it'd be much easier to just find the enemy units and structures within maximum range and raycast against those, working inward from enemies at maximum range (so that if it finds 3 enemies along a single ray, it can fairly well invalidate two of those as possible targets -- the ai can be pragmatic and not even attempt to hit occluded enemies).