Most significant turret

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
TVR
Trained
Trained

Most significant turret

Post by TVR »

Just happen to be wondering, out of the following turrets, which would you declare the most definitive of Warzone 2100?
  • -Commander turret
    -Counter-battery radar turret
    -Hellstorm turret
    -Lancer turret
    -Plasma cannon turret
Each one represents distinct aspects of Warzone 2100...
psychopompos
Trained
Trained

Re: Most significant turret

Post by psychopompos »

the hellstorm, lancer & plasma have their counterparts every where really...
the CB tower, i havnt seen similar that i remember...
the berthas & lrpc's from oTA would return fire on things that hit them from across the map...
he command turret really is pretty unique.

i gotta say, 2100 is the only game i have seen that gave me minions to control my minions, so i gotta say the command turret.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Plasma cannon is useless. It's not a defining element of Warzone, except to mark it as pretty much the only time in RTS history where the most powerful weapon is completely useless. I should make it even more powerful, just to highlight the hilarity.

Lancer is an example of a weapon that used to be overpowered - every game has that. It's a bit less overpowered nowadays, so it's not really anything special.

Command Turret is useless in MP. If you use it, everyone concentrates fire on it and it dies.

So it's really between Hellstorm and CB. I'd say CB, because Hellstorm is just your generic overpowered weapon. CB - what game has CB? What game has useful CB?

Conclusion: CB Tower => Warzone is awesome.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I vote Command turret. It's the "defining" turret of WZ, whether it sucks in Multiplayer or not :P.

That ssaid, since everyone focuses on Command tanks first... Hrm. I just ahd a new idea for a strat...
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

I'd pick CB too, I can't think of any other games with that.
Total Annihilation had the return fire, but only the units that were attacked would return fire, and they couldn't shoot back if they were killed by the first hit.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
ASmith
New user

Post by ASmith »

The game Company of Heroes' expansion has a special ability for the British player's artillery that makes it return fire if on enemy artillery.

Just sayin'.
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

Commander turret represents the importance of abstraction and automation.

Counter-battery radar represents the importance of intel.

Hellstorm turret represents the power of indirect fire.

Lancer represents the power of cheap, concentrated fire power.

Plasma cannon represents the perpetual research done to find an ever more powerful direct-fire weapon.

I personally would choose the Hellstorm, as it is the only rotary howitzer and demonstrates the only instance of rapid indirect fire useful for moving targets.
ASmith wrote:... Company of Heroes' expansion has a special ability for the British player's artillery that makes it return fire ... on enemy artillery. ...
The crucial distinction is it is an exclusive, thus not as integral as an nonexclusive counter-battery radar.
NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by NEXUS »

IMO the Command Turret is the most important turret in the campaign, due the fact that the units assigned to it will automaticly return to it after repairing, and the tanks last a lot longer with an command tank than with out one.

For Multiplayer however, the Lancer and Flame Throwers are some of the best early weapons (T1), followed by Assualt Guns, Cannons, VTOLS, and Howitzers for T2 games. And for T3 Games, any Lasers, Missiles, and Rail types are most useful.
eyestrain92
Trained
Trained

Post by eyestrain92 »

Zarel wrote:Plasma cannon is useless. It's not a defining element of Warzone, except to mark it as pretty much the only time in RTS history where the most powerful weapon is completely useless. I should make it even more powerful, just to highlight the hilarity.

Lancer is an example of a weapon that used to be overpowered - every game has that. It's a bit less overpowered nowadays, so it's not really anything special.

Command Turret is useless in MP. If you use it, everyone concentrates fire on it and it dies.

So it's really between Hellstorm and CB. I'd say CB, because Hellstorm is just your generic overpowered weapon. CB - what game has CB? What game has useful CB?

Conclusion: CB Tower => Warzone is awesome.
You guys could always rework the plasma cannon a bit for just a tad of balance...

Also, I notice the plasma artillery was significantly "rebalanced." What are you planning?
NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by NEXUS »

I don't think people would complan about the plasma cannon, if it was the same on as the one in the final NEXUS mission...
eyestrain92
Trained
Trained

Post by eyestrain92 »

NEXUS wrote:I don't think people would complan about the plasma cannon, if it was the same on as the one in the final NEXUS mission...
The NEXUS Plasma Artillery and the Plasma Cannon are two different things. The NEXUS Plasma Artillery, before, was the superweapon displayed in the final mission. The Plasma Cannon is the heaviest, and most powerful weapon in multiplayer.
SoS-ELITE
Greenhorn

Post by SoS-ELITE »

Plasma Cannon has terrible ROF, is slow, but can destroy several units with one shot. The heavy laser is MUCH faster but overall better. The gauss cannon is by far the strongest weapon in the game unit wise. A fully upgrade heavy cannon, mantis body, and hover/tracks will destroy anything. They produce much faster than any high level weapon and reloads extremely fast as the rapid loader mk3 has been researched. If anyone has gotten to the Dragon body yet, it's slow as hell, but nearly impervious to hells, ripples, and other artillery because of the thermal armor upgrades required to get it.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Dudes, I'll rebalance all the plasma stuff eventually. -_-

Just give me time.
madfalcon81
Trained
Trained

Post by madfalcon81 »

i didnt play many games online, though i play a lot of skirmish mode, on 1.10, 1.12, 2.2.1 etc. I was amazed about my choices versus others choices. So:
-air power: something flamable (plasmite or something) on offensive, scourge (lancer, etc) on defence
-land: i use hover propulsion for fast moving, and eventually for retreating the units, with scourge (lancer etc)
-I did saw the power of CB turret - must have in a game with very long arty (T3)
-i dont use cyborgs at all
NEXUS
Trained
Trained

Post by NEXUS »

eyestrain92 wrote: The NEXUS Plasma Artillery and the Plasma Cannon are two different things. The NEXUS Plasma Artillery, before, was the superweapon displayed in the final mission. The Plasma Cannon is the heaviest, and most powerful weapon in multiplayer.
I know they are different, what I mean is that I was dissapointed the first time I got the Plasma Cannon, expecting it to be like the NEXUS version. Instead it's a stupid overpowered laser, not a super fire arty cannon. ;)