Why Are We Addicted to Warzone?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Trace_Katarei
Greenhorn

Why Are We Addicted to Warzone?

Post by Trace_Katarei »

I don't know each of your individual reasons for playing Warzone but I would like to know. Perhaps I will start with myself....

I found Warzone on a eidos demo cd that came with tomb raider (I can't remember which one). I played the skirmish over and over and over again and developed a love of the enormous possibilities for strategy and toiled to find the perfect tool for the job (the job being killing the opponent). After I bought the game I really did become addicted to it. With each patch that came out I immediately dloaded it and tried all the new techs, and structures and noted the changes. With the release of newst's v1.11 patch I felt that wz had reached a kind of perfection that other games seldom reached. I felt a sense of camaraderie with other people, whom I had never meet, and who loved the game as much as I did, and that was our only unifying thread.

As far as gameplay is concerned, I enjoyed the ability to control almost every aspect of the game, from where hq is located to how I would choose to set up my defenses. Over time the game, for me, became less about winning and more about the discovery of the perfect design for a base. And so began my search....

....That's why I play Warzone 2100...
Revelo
Trained
Trained

Re: Why Are We Addicted to Warzone?

Post by Revelo »

I was lucky my Dad got me a copy otherwise I would never have heard of it. I enjoyed the challenge the game offers, the difficult opponents, the immerse story. How it took several aspects of other RTS games, added in a couple of it's own and blended them together so well. I enjoyed being able to come up with my own strategies and planning how I would execute them rather then tank rushing. I enjoyed how you were in an evolving world where you didn't just build one base and move on and make another, how you didn't have to reupgrade your units each mission. That you could watch your forces grow and make your own weapons to enchance your war machines power. The ability to micro manage everything and feeling like you were this mix of Soldier/Scientist/Engineer.

I keep playing it for those aspects, that each playthrough can be different, you can come up with a new vehicle each time and how the game has survived 10 years. It wasn't a blockbuster and it did not have to be. It earned and deserved it's cult following and it's thanks to the fans that it has endured and improved. Even today it still stands proudly alongside other, younger RTS games, it still plays well, looks good and while it did not bring lots of new things to the genre. It enhanced what we knew, encouraged us to think different.

That's why I play Warzone 2100, and that's why i can take the time to say thank you to the Resurrection Project for keeping this game alive, for giving us a chance to stick together to enjoy this wonderful game, by rebuilding or improving it's world ;)
Read my review of Warzone 2100 here!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.115500
Craig
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Craig »

i wouldnt call myself addicted to warzone, but its definitely my all time favourite, i guess i too really enjoyed building bases, the perfect defense, how the area came together, for me i very rarely have my main base set up near the LZ. its very hard to get out due to the fact its in a corner mostly, so i will set up a custom base near the centre of the map.

i suppose what gripped me was the custom options you could use. i created tons of crazy units for every purpose of attack, hit and run, sneak attack, long drawn out combat and possability of devloping perfect tactics. the game has a kind of story that you rarely find any more. it could take you months to complete, when you compare it things like halo wars where the campaign can be finished in about 3 hours. massive value for money. im sure when my PC gets fixed the added multiplayer and extra tech will give me new reason to continue playing, fow which i am gratefull.
ThomasCarstein
Trained
Trained

Post by ThomasCarstein »

Hm, I'm also not considering myself "addicted" to Warzone 2100, but i know what it means to be addicted to a game - I played WoW the last 2 years :P

Anyway, I agree with all that the previous posters have written. For myself, what binds me eternally to this fantastic game is it's inventive setup and execution as well as a tremendous feeling of nostalgia and fond rememberance - I have already written somewhere how I came to know this game, but i'll do a quick recap anyway :3

In 2001, when I was attending college, I was put in charge of the computer room in our dormitory (for a meager pay, but as i like working with computers, I didn't mind). After a few weeks of settling in I began to check out what was installed on each computer... Somewhere along the way I found a curious icon in an obscure corner of a PC saying "Warzone 2100". The rest is history (at least for me :D ): after getting completely hooked on it, I "helped" it spread across 4 PC's in the computer room; and when the last users left, i locked up and waited about an hour for my friends to knock. What usually followed was "getting in the mood" (i will not elaborate this further - but you can imagine what students do to get "in the mood" ;) ), then conducting glorious 4-person battles untill the sun came up and the damn birds started to chirp :cool:
It was one of the better times in my life, although i got very few hours of sleep... after a few months of this the head of the dormitory probably got wind of our night-time activities and found a more reliable replacement to run the computer room, ending my Warzone playing for 8 years (after that I started to play Warcraft 3 and other stuff).

I have visited my former dormitory about a year ago and saw that the computer room was replaced with a classroom and now there were security cameras and locks set up at every entrance and exit, so any suspicious activities would be doomed to fail almost instantly. So, all that remains of that great time are my memories and the game itself (i was really surprised to see it in such a great shape after all those years), so I'm very grateful to all of you who actively dedicate your free time to keep the ressurection project alive and kicking.

Regards to all & keep up the good work!

Bye, T.
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Post by new paradigm leader »

for me? it's just the game itself the blast as you blast an enemies HQ in skirmish with a lassat the splattering noise you get when you run over scavenger infantry with a machinegun viper wheels the thrill of your tactics paying off and the last ditch attempt to save your arse because you didn't prepare in cam 1 enough and the new paradigm are smashing you more easily than a sledgehammer smashing a wine glass. i first found it as an obscure game my friend has for PSX in 2007 then i found out there was a pc version. which is how i found the ressurection project. to be honest i wasnt expecting it to be free. i thought it would take me forever to find and download (not to mention somewhat law contravening) but in the end it wasn't and i found it had some awesome additions too Zombie Mod 1.3, NTW Mod, Hardcore mod, to name but three
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

I started out playing WZ on the PSX at a friends house. The feature I liked most was the camera following your units!! I thought: "YAY! What a great RTS!!", just because of that... :D Never made it through the alpha mission... :(

But someday a PC game collection came out and WZ was in it! 2 friends of mine and me bought it together and every one just wanted one of the games, I wanted WZ!! After that I'm sure, that I've played the campaign at least 20 times. I still got the originals and they are still working perfectly. In the meantime I made ISOs a quick as possible just to be sure they keep working! Then, there was a long time nothing...

I found the discs again and started to play with a friend of mine. I've searched the net for MODs and maps and found this site! Since that, I've to contribute as much as I can. Main spot was music. Made 2 tracks. Look in the showcase. In case, that they are down, get them on my site at the downloads as MP3s.

And now the greates notice of all!!

I got my brand new EeePC 1000H today and I'm happy WZ 2.2.0 runs perfectly!! Tested about 2,5 hours. So be aware, that someday I might be in the lobby and look for some destruction! The bad side about this: I've never played that much online, so I think you can call me a n00bster... :D

But I'm addicted to WZ, because:

IT'S THE BEST RTS EVER!
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

I like to work on the game more than I like to play it.
I got more enjoyment in writing the mod manager than I ever got playing the game.
Its not that I don't like the game, because I do but I like to mod games and this is the first one I ever got a hold of that I was any good at making content and utilitys for.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
HLG Dale
Trained
Trained
Location: at a laptop in Bury st edmunds -> (in suffolk) -> (in england)

Re: Why i am addicted to Warzone

Post by HLG Dale »

For me, let me put it simple, IT WAS MY FIRST GAME, and now the only games i like to play are RTS's :P i would not say im "addicted" to warzone but more...(it took me time to think of a diffrent word before i went on google to find one xD )... prefer to play more than other games..(all that for one word!?!?!? :rolleyes: xD :( xD :( :stare: :stare: ). so basicly warzone was an imprint on my game likeings-(if that makes sense :P )
Dale- (Adjective)
means:
A person/s and/or living creture/s addicted to playing Warzone 2100.
Warzone 2100- (Name)
Is:
the best/greatest game in the world/planet that should have continued being developed into a series.
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

I got Warzone 2100 on a PSX demo disk one day. Station 5. Never gonna forget that disk.

Played through the mission included on the disk about 100 times. I was young. Very young.

Next thing I knew, I had the full game in my grubby little hands. I played it to exhaustion, even though I never made it past the first campaign.

My PS broke, had a little bit of a love affair with ePSXe...then the disk broke. I was stricken with grief. I wanted to bury the perfect game.

A few years later, I look up Warzone on the net. Wait, there was a PC version? And I can get it FOR FREE?!?!?!?!

I dashed to the Resurrection site, didn't give the other links a thought, and downloaded 2.0.3.

Jizz in my pants.

I've been around since then, trying to make my marks as much as I could. I'm now learning C++, and I maintain a section of Zarel's Warzone Guide. I'll be back...and I'll be changing things for the better. Warzone won't die if I'm keeping an eye on it.

BlueMaxima - Forever fighting NEXUS.
Bring back...ducks!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Interesting. I considered the Resurrection Project version an unstable, buggy mess until the 2.1 betas, where I finally decided it was still unstable and buggy, but it had potential, and I wanted to help it reach that potential. So that's when I switched from 1.10 to 2.1 beta 5 or so. And learned what Troman had done with the balance. :[ You all know my opinion on that so anyway, I started contributing, and here we are.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

I'm one of those few, dying gamers for whom "immersion" plays a big role in a game, and have a very strict set of what I will follow in my "willing suspension of disbelief".

Having research carry over between missions just made sense to me. Why do I need to research "iron swords" every level? Well, now I don't!

Air power is as useful in this game as it is supposed to be, as opposed to "why bother" (most of Warcraft), or "why bother building anything else" (Red Alerts). Powerful, but reasonably stoppable (well, not counting th 2.1.X series where AA about as useful as fork made of Styrofoam).

This is one of the few games that, for all intents and purposes, knew how nuclear weapons actually work (not counting the FMV where your transport outruns the fireball, mind you), and was able to execute them by using them as a plot device rather than an in-game weapon that would need "balancing".

Nexus just struck me as a better "bad guy" then most of the RTS guys of the day. The NP guy being insane and the Collective one being plain borg-esque creepy were nice as well.

And there's something to be said where your first few missions in a game are up against an opponent who uses nothing more than bikes and firetrucks... gives a nice, easy-into learning curve for the game.
ALiEN987
Greenhorn

Post by ALiEN987 »

I also first started playing with the Tomb Raider demo disc. Wow that was like 10 years ago. So I was looking for the game everywhere but no one had played it or even heard of it. So I bought the PS1 version, at last I could try camaign mode. But still I couldnt get the full online experience. So I began looking in stores, but what was this???.. Pumpkin went out of business??? NOOO! Lucky for me a friend had a bootleg copy which required a NO CD patch. Which worked perfectly! I could now play online with MPLAYER. Never got very far with that since I only had Dial UP connection. So a few months ago I find this site. How kool we can play online anytime we want! So now I'm addicted to it.. Online, Skrimish, and Campaign.. I LOVE IT ALL! I wish the dreams would stop though lol.
kipman725
Trained
Trained

Post by kipman725 »

it was on offer Red Alert 2 wasn't. Warzone is the better game by a huge margin. Only issue is the bugs which are becoming less of a problem. In game stability is excelent. Multiplayer match making very very flakey.
Hamstertron
New user

Post by Hamstertron »

I first found WZ on a PC Gamer (UK) coverdisk in 1998/99. I immediately fell in love with the way vehicles are customised. It wasn't long before I thought the game as a whole was the best thing I'd ever played.

For some reason I have more of an emotional investment when playing WZ than other games. Perhaps it's because of having to design the units by hand, or the thrill of researching something just in time to turn the tide of an attack of what was initially a force superior in numbers and tech.

For years when I was at university I didn't have TV so I played games instead. WZ is great for this! I often play an epic 8 way skirmish with 7 AI's teamed against me for 30 Minutes a night while wife watches TV. Forget Valve - this is my kind of "episodic gaming"!
Eddie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Eddie »

HI

I'm addicted because it is a great game
it is the best game I've ever played :P