Evasion Techniques - Riaa/Mediasentry, ect

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
manaze
Trained
Trained

Evasion Techniques - Riaa/Mediasentry, ect

Post by manaze »

I hear that a guy that lives on the second floor above me received a letter from comcast stating they are going to shut off his internet if he did not abide by the rules and regulations of downloading music online.

Im interested in finding out if their are way to aviod such detection, me living in the states.
Does the riaa only crack down on music, or do they go after movies too?

Are their ways to stay out of the limelight?

-manaze
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Re: Evasion Techniques - Riaa/Mediasentry, ect

Post by Chojun »

Of course, I wouldn't encourage anyone to publicly condone illegal downloading, but p2p itself IS legal.

Recently RIAA's "making available" attack failed in court, which was a very good development for the filesharing community. Generally bittorrent protocols are safer than the more popular KaZaA/Morpheus/etc programs. However, if anyone is going to do something illegal they have to do so on the assumption that they are going to get caught.

Comcast is sorta two-faced, in a way. They protect their customer's identities unless subpoenaed. Also, they have been curtailing the efforts of their customers to seed files. You will probably do OK downloading things but if you wanted to seed something, you might find that they're throttling your connection.

Most bittorrent clients support encryption. This will prevent ISPs and outsiders from snooping on you. However, if media sentry or RIAA/MPAA is downloading something from you to see if you're distributing, there's nothing you can do about it, encryption or not. They have your IP.

From what I've seen people who get busted are typically egregiously stupid and are funnelling massive amounts of illegal data over the network. Once again if you do something illegal you have to assume not IF you will be caught, but WHEN.

Typically copyright owners or their legal agents will issue a sort-of 'cease and decist' letter to the ISPs. Also, they can sometimes request personal information from the ISPs. Typically ISPs will refuse the requests, but then send a letter or otherwise contact the infringer and tell them to knock it off. The trouble with this, though, is if the ISP is subpoenaed for the infringer's information, the ISP will cough it up but the infringer may not know about it until the case goes to trial, which gives the infringer a significant legal disadvantage (the case could go to trial without them knowing it, until they're called to testify). So I'd say the guy above you has caught the attention of a copyright owner and they've sent a letter to the guy's ISP requesting information.

The best way to avoid distributing to shady characters is to download a program called Peer Guardian 2 that blocks connections to suspect IP addresses. This is recommended even if you're using BT for legitimate purposes because PeerGuardian 2 will block IP addresses known to be used by hackers/spammers/other bad people, and it can help filter HTTP traffic that comes from malware/adware/badware sites.

And to answer your question, to stay out of the limelight, don't download illegal stuff xD
jaakan
Trained
Trained

Post by jaakan »

manaze wrote:I hear that a guy that lives on the second floor above me received a letter from comcast stating they are going to shut off his internet if he did not abide by the rules and regulations of downloading music online.

Im interested in finding out if their are way to aviod such detection, me living in the states.
Does the riaa only crack down on music, or do they go after movies too?

Are their ways to stay out of the limelight?

-manaze

RIAA = music
MPAA = movies

to your last question : Don't do illegal things.
hiimpartyboy
Greenhorn

Post by hiimpartyboy »

I think it's less about how"illegal"something is but moreover,how corporations try to get away with as much as they can to prevent distribution of materials. It's an irony in itself,these big,scary companies don't like people uploading/downloading their material,yet their brand new band/game/etc,that they picked up or were told through the grapevine from,participated in that exact procedure to get their material out to the streets/studios. It's like how big tobacco works:"let's say how bad smoking really is for you,advertise anti-smoking propaganda,and that it kills,and lets put it on the box to warn you(we don't want to because we don't like to,but lawsuits cost us money and we like to be nice to the people we slowly kill),while at the same time,still sell them anyways". Media companies work that way as well,they just don't wish to back down. It's one of those discussions that causes a lot of drama,but is easily rectified. If you want to do something illegal like file sharing,do it,but make sure you have yourself squared away. And if you don't wish to participate,then don't. me personally,I can't stand the people who blast others for file sharing,yet they do it themselves in other ways through burning a copy of some new emo-band cd or that one rap CD that you just had to have but you knew a"friend"who file shares w/o realizing where it comes from(no attacks here,but making a generalized statement mind you) When looking for files,make sure to check their comments,other users will tell you if it's tracked by an ISP/RIAA/MPAA. It's kind of funny you know? Before I moved to a new apartment,my former roommate received,via e-mail a"cease and desist" order from TWC(time warner cable,btw,comcast is evil!:P)about how there were tracking him file sharing.(it was that animated movie ratatouille)however,he had deleted the movie a long time ago,three months before he received the notice. But I do think it is funny that these companies compare file sharing to drug trafficking and anything else illegal. It's all smoke and mirrors to delude and scare common users from file sharing because thy know that they can regulate a controlled public and if everyone does it,it is harder to monitor them. The more they crack down,the stronger the opposition gets. The pirate bay(TPB for short)(a premier file sharing search engine,came under fire from the RIAA/MPAA,but due to Sweden's neutral stance,it was difficult for the w/o local support from the government.The owner of the site has been taken to court and the cases end up being thrown out due to lack of evidence/testimony from prosecution(locally) their tactics are"let's make them(the site owner/users)spend their donation/money on legal expenses so they have to give up!" It happened to BLEEM,but that was then. Me personally,I file share through azureus/vuze. A similar site,isohunt.com has come to the attention of the RIAA/MPAA war machine as well,but TPB and isohunt.com are search engines and do not host the files themselves,so far as they go: "Here's what you are looking for,and where you can find it from our search DB,but it's not ours,we just have the search results" So these two sites are more like a 3rd party,but they are far from neutral in this situation. In any case,that's my say,sorry if it was a bit long-winded. All the best two isohunt&TPB,teach those A$$-hats that they can't bully the common man around!
-War transforms us,but who and what we turn into is up to the battlefield.
TylerP223
Greenhorn

Post by TylerP223 »

As much as I am for the protection of copyright law ( :stare: maybe...) PG2 sucks. Iuse uTorrent and BlockList Manager running together, all the lists that PG2 would use, and it is still online. The only reason I use them at all is the fact that I got one of those letters for no reason so now I try and make sure they don't get a reason at all.