The Public Domain and Intellectual Property

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

The Public Domain and Intellectual Property

Post by whippersnapper »

On December 8th this year Yale University Press published:

The Public Domain: Enclosing the Commons of the Mind by James Boyle.

Both the author and publisher have agreed to make this book available, exactly
as it was published less than 2 weeks ago, as a .pdf download for FREE.

You can get the book for free HERE - the Official site

And some early Reviews:

"Boyle has been the godfather of the Free Culture Movement since his extraordinary book, "Shamans, Software, and Spleens" set the framework for the field a decade ago. In this beautifully written and subtly argued book, Boyle has succeeded in resetting that framework, and beginning the work in the next stage of this field. The Public Domain is absolutely crucial to understanding where the debate has been, and where it will go. And Boyle''s work continues to be at the center of that debate."

- Lawrence Lessig, C. Wendell and Edith M. Carlsmith Professor of Law, Stanford Law School and author of Free Culture and The Future of Ideas

"In this delightful volume, Professor Boyle gives the reader a masterful tour of the intellectual property wars, the fight over who will control the information age, pointing the way toward the promise-and peril-of the future. A must read for both beginner and expert alike!"

- Jimmy Wales, founder, Wikipedia

"Boyle is one of the world''s major thinkers on the centrality of the public domain to the production of knowledge and culture. He offers a comprehensive and biting critique of where our copyright and patent policy has gone, and prescriptions for how we can begin to rebalance our law and practice. It is the first book I would give to anyone who wants to understand the causes, consequences, and solutions in the debates over copyrights, patents, and the public domain of the past decade and a half."

- Yochai Benkler, Berkman Professor of Entrepreneurial Legal Studies, Harvard Law School
While it's unfashionable to engage in this manner I remain steadfast against cynicism - no matter even, "left hung out to dry", as the expression goes, often enough to know who & when to treat in kind and yet, in the end, that too is revealing fodder of "character" and how sad & disposable it's absence is... so why exacerbate the "albatross" 'round the neck of the Lilly-livered, I say. :ninja:

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Re: The Public Domain and Intellectual Property

Post by Chojun »

Is there a specific person or entity you're directing your comments to? Or is this just for general discussion about the public domain..?
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Is there a specific person or entity you're directing your comments to? Or is this just for general discussion about the public domain..?
Oh... just in general, for sure. I am myself struggling with these issues, trying to refine my position more clearly for myself..

My closing aside was an indulgence in stream of consciousness - an ambivalence expressed with a touch of aphorism which I'm fond of. I am not always entirely clear of my intent with those indulgences (there is some fog within the precision) but the act of expression helps me on that journey of discovery.. It is, IMO, one of the intrinsic rewards of public utterance rather than subscribing to a strictly internal monologue. Essentially, your pushing yourself beyond the "comfort zone" norm. It is a Toltec precept of deliberately shattering the habitual mind-set.

"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Well, I believe freedom is noble and public domain is the noblest of all free licenses.

I don't think the radical 'free or die' crowd likes the public domain, though. Then again, it may not be everyone's intent to make their product truly 'free', which is why they resort to using the more restrictive lisences.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Chojun wrote:Well, I believe freedom is noble and public domain is the noblest of all free licenses.

I don't think the radical 'free or die' crowd likes the public domain, though. Then again, it may not be everyone's intent to make their product truly 'free', which is why they resort to using the more restrictive lisences.
I put a lot of my stuff under Public Domain or Creative Commons... but I most definitely reserve some stuff for strict copyright because
I want to make money too from what comes out of my brain and is the result of the sweat of my brow. In that sense I remain as much a
committed Obectivist Capitalist as Ayn Rand herself or the fictional John Galt from her "Atlas Shrugged" magnum opus. I also make a
very clear distinction between diverse community and any movement towards Collectivism - my response to such running the gamut from
neck-hair bristling to out 'n out abhorrence. For I see it (collectivism) as an iron heel, lock-step, march to demagoguery, lynch mobs and
witch hunts...

whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

In the name of equal time...

WIPO - World Intellectual Property Organization - is the defacto global face of this position: HERE

whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »