Strategies

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
devastator
Trained
Trained

Strategies

Post by devastator »

Русскоязычные-отвечайте! I'm from Ukrain.
Lets speak about very important part of gameplay-strategie.Do u know something very interesting or powerful?For example building defensive towers on enemies base as fast as it possible.Sometimes it works.Enemie is screaming after such death xD
Or just fast oil developing.Economic power can easily give you more chances to win.U can tall about fighting way.Lets spaek about best ways to win at all! :twisted:
ClockWork
Trained
Trained

Re: Strategies

Post by ClockWork »

Alright, I’ll toss a bone. Mass Cyborg flamers = instant win! :twisted:

On a more serious note, I like to build up a defensive out post near my enemies bases, then hurl shells of artillery at them. All the while, defending oil derricks with some defensive structures, and sending a couple direct fire tanks on the front line to soak up damage, and protect my bases.

VTOLS for taking down pesky sensor towers and CB towers, or anything else that I deem a threat.

Oh yah, and then I pretty much extend my main base outward with many, many towers, and artillery, then build walls at every choke point, with bunkers, and generally take complete map control until my opponent is just a play thing…if I’m lucky.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yeah, building structures in enemy bases is called truck rushing.

I've been considering preventing too-early truck rushing. I have a feeling a ton of people wouldn't like that, though.
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

Well,defensive buildings as atacking power are popular.Truck rush is very dangerous.Do you know any way to stop it?What is your plan to survive if enemie used truck rush?
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

devastator wrote:Well,defensive buildings as atacking power are popular.Truck rush is very dangerous.Do you know any way to stop it?What is your plan to survive if enemie used truck rush?
Best way to stop a truck rush is to, at the start of the game, build 2-6 (depending on map size and layout) cheap MG units. Have them patrol around your base.

Any trucks you see approaching your base, have the MG units shoot them down before they can finish building.

Lastly, a single flamer unit is more than enough to kill a single earlygame bunker. Even if you don't plan on heavily investing in flamer tech, make 1 flamer unit, research the first 2 (extremely cheap) flamer upgrades, and torch the truck-rushed structures.
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Zarel wrote:I've been considering preventing too-early truck rushing. I have a feeling a ton of people wouldn't like that, though.
Better to use good tactics like actually defending your base, rather than constraining game play, IMHO.

Besides, I believe some Zarel guy has a patch that is slowly working its way into trunk that would chose trucks as a target before the structure the truck is building. This would make base defense structures much more useful.
Molotov
Trained
Trained

Post by Molotov »

Personally, I like to build an outpost dead center of the map (when possible) that i fill to the brim with flak cannons to knock enemy aircraft out of the sky, even when I'm not the target. Then, I use strike sensors to use my own VTOL's in a defensive manner, using cyborg teams to knock out any trucks that come too close. If I see too much activity on one side of my base however, I'll start putting some heavy armor just inside of my defenses ready to roll out if I get attacked.
You have five minutes to comply,
0R 3|$3 1T$ FR%1N6 T1M3!!!!!11!!!1!
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

I like to make fast map control with fast tank atacks.It will not destroy enemie,but it will give you very good economic advantages.The minus of this strategie-not very fast tehnologies.And in battle i choose many strong units without repair units,because 10 tanks are stronger then 8 same tanks and 2 repair tanks,because its very difficult to control fixing.What will you use to stop this strategie?
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

devastator wrote:I like to make fast map control with fast tank atacks.It will not destroy enemie,but it will give you very good economic advantages.The minus of this strategie-not very fast tehnologies.And in battle i choose many strong units without repair units,because 10 tanks are stronger then 8 same tanks and 2 repair tanks,because its very difficult to control fixing.What will you use to stop this strategie?

You make it sound like 1 repair tank takes as much as 1 battle tank.

A more appropriate comparison would be 10 tanks vs 8 tanks and half a dozen repair guys.

Also, superior numbers is but one strategy. Do I know what type of units those are with time to spare? If so, I'll counter with an appropriate unit of my own, repair-backed or not.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

stiv wrote:Better to use good tactics like actually defending your base, rather than constraining game play, IMHO.
I would consider gameplay to be "constrained" and "unbalanced" if there's no way to win against a given strategy except using that exact same strategy back. (I'm talking about MG tower rushing and cannon tank rushing)

I would also consider gameplay to be constrained and unbalanced if there's only one way to win against a given strategy, especially if that strategy is extremely nonobvious (against flamer cyborg rushing: completely wall yourself in, then attack with machineguns or incenediary artillery.)

Anyway, I can't really think of any way to prevent an MG tower rush from T1 No Bases. The time it takes to:

1. send one truck over, use the other to build a research facility
2. get MG, then MG guard tower
3. use the sent truck to start building MG guard towers
4. finish a MG guard tower

is significantly less than the time it takes to:

1. build a research facility
2. get MG
3. build a CC
4. build a factory
5. design MG Viper Wheels
6. make a MG Viper Wheels
7. wait for the MG Viper Wheels to finish being produced
8. kill the rushing truck(s)

So the only way to prevent truckrushing would be to get to MG Guard Tower before your opponent does. I don't think this should happen.

My fix would involve requiring a CC before MG guard tower could be researched. Thoughts?
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Zarel wrote:
stiv wrote:Better to use good tactics like actually defending your base, rather than constraining game play, IMHO.

My fix would involve requiring a CC before MG guard tower could be researched. Thoughts?

That's one way I guess. Or have a couple other required techs before the MG-guard. Or eliminate the MG guard altogether, replacing it with New Paradigm's Twin-MG guard tower, which (of course) can't be researched until you have the Twin-mg tech (we already know it's possible to segregate structures between SP and MP, after all)

Note: MG-tower rushes aren't as big a concern on huge maps... the time it takes the truck to get from one end of, say, The Pit to another base is enough time to have your own counter ready.
Deltaflyer
Greenhorn

Post by Deltaflyer »

I particularly like getting small vtol's asap, then scouting with them. That leaves my factories free to produce units.

In a smaller map, I rush to the center and fan out across the middle with trucks and tanks, blocking off any chokepoints and advancing if possible. I then use a medium body with a fast proplusion (hover or half-tracks) to defend and use as a fast response force.

I like to truck rush to within ripple range of my enemy and set up two ripple camps. (Tier 3 tech start only)

Then, I have a tank rush to batter enemy expansion and to get radar range with the enemy base and let the ripples open fire. With their accuracy issues, it can actually be a help over 3-4 screen lengths because it could misfire and hit a different structure. I use either them or Ground shakers up close :)

I like to have ripples on tanks also so I can get them in range, let loose a barrage and quickly retreat them.
devastator
Trained
Trained

Post by devastator »

Yes,i like your strategie.Rush centre,expand and make fast mortaits.Use tank rush to make enemies life hell and...only good tehnologie choice can save enemies life.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

devastator wrote:Русскоязычные-отвечайте! I'm from Ukrain.
А чё отвечать то ? Самые заядлые варонеры обитают на crosswar.ru - но сайт хреново обновляеться.

I like rushs. In the begining up to Heavy MachineGuns.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
marcmad
Trained
Trained

Post by marcmad »

good luck if you want to rush a super hard computer whit advanced base.
i prefer using heavy tank strategie.
using 1 commander, some heavy canon/missiles/bunker buster/inferno tank who retreat at medium damage.(better to use heavy canon earlier)
when you attack the computer,you kill all his unit, avance, build repair just in the back,kill all ennemie, avance, build an other repair on the back, etc...until you kill his base.

strong point=
-your guy don't die, so you won't have to pay like 300 energie to build other
-they get repair fast and can continue figthing indefenitly
-your ennemie get weaker and weaker and you get stronger.

weak point=
ennemie can concentrate his fire on 1 unit.
Some defense have better range.
Don't work at the end of all tech
heavy army can defeat it
get kill when the ennemie have a vtol army
get killed when ennemie use a lot of perperphot/helltorm etc...

maybee i don't said all. But the 2 campagn is a pleasure whit this tactic