DRAMA

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: DRAMA

Post by Buginator »

manaze wrote:HERES MY QUESTION:

Why was all the completed work maintained by one person with the power to destroy it? As much as i wanted 2200 to become a reality, which it very well was, if the individuals who were involved in the creating process were so incredibly stupid enough to allow one person to stop the project, then maybe its a lesson learned . ALthough, every attempt in the past to remake warzone has failed ,which should have been a warning. What is wrong with GRIM. I dont understand why he did this. Grim, if ur reading this, i hope this is all a fit of rage and u will have the determination to allow the project to continue.
Why do you think it was only maintained by one person? O_o

These things do happen from time to time...
Deus Siddis wrote:
Chojun wrote:I think it will print out on about 12,500 rolls of toilet paper. :twisted:
But why in hell would you want to trash so much of your hard work? Why not at least just release it as GPL like you folks said you would so that maybe the WRP or other fan developers can work it into into the open sources and then build and improve on what you have accomplished? :-S :(
Why do you think 'they' would trash it?
Nothing has been written in stone yet...

If nothing happens in say ... a month or so, then, you might be able to make the case your talking about.

Ah well, what do I know? O_o :stressed: :stare:
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Deus Siddis wrote:Why not at least just release it as GPL like you folks said you would so that maybe the WRP or other fan developers can work it into into the open sources and then build and improve on what you have accomplished? :-S :(
hmmmmm? So it sounds like the 2200 developers negotiated a seperate source release with Pivotal / Eidos / Whomever? Either that, or they just haven't released public binaries?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

-------------------->

* Absolutely nothing is trashed. Dev continues. 2200 source will be made public (game and editor). I strongly doubt the 2200 source and the WRP source will ever merge (though some may take an interest in deving.... or not. Work will continue, as it does now, no matter. I speak from playing ALL the binaries and using all the tools.) There are many reasons for that assessment but explaining would be a waste of effort. Right now there's no public venue but that too will change and will coincide with certain work being done presently that needs to be completed first.

* This is just to put this topic to rest. Absolutely not interested in advertising or soliciting any acknowledgments of fact. Doing the work is where it's at.... the rest is quite optional and more often than not results in a poor ROI ergo I place little stock in those tangential investments of time, energy or attention.

- Rman :cool:

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Buginator wrote:The maps aren't in a zip file?
They are in a zip file.
Deus Siddis wrote:But why in hell would you want to trash so much of your hard work? Why not at least just release it as GPL like you folks said you would so that maybe the WRP or other fan developers can work it into into the open sources and then build and improve on what you have accomplished?
I'm not going to trash it. Nor do I think anyone else intends to trash it. My TP comment was of a facetious nature :)
Buginator wrote:Why do you think it was only maintained by one person?

These things do happen from time to time...
Yes, they do.

Lesson Learned #1: Purely online or 'virtual' projects can't work unless they are centrally maintained and hosted, preferrably via public means; also, if they are privately hosted then the project leadership must have direct contact and equal stake in the project to prevent one member or the other from scuttling the project. Also, trust is paramount.

Anyway, it should also be understood that game studios have a 95% failure rate. I would think this would apply in the OSS world, as well. So, our failure really shouldn't come at any surprise, although disappointment is understandable.
kage wrote:hmmmmm? So it sounds like the 2200 developers negotiated a seperate source release with Pivotal / Eidos / Whomever? Either that, or they just haven't released public binaries?
No and no. Eidos couldn't care less about Warzone2100. The fact that we were graced by Jason Walker was a matter of luck and personal interest in the game on his part. Since they essentially completely freed the game, there is no stake in it left for them and they've washed their hands of it.