varations?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Tymon
Rookie
Rookie

varations?

Post by Tymon »

how about some variations in a warzone game?

usual the only objective is to destroy the other person's base

here are some idea for variations

-kill the commander
their would be a new unit called a commander and if that unit dies that team loses

-limited power game
All of the players start with say 10000 power but power stations and oil Derick's are not alloud

-infinte power game
All players would have infinite power imagine the huge battles!

...Or "Invasion" like in unreal tournament:
There's a circle in the map where you can not build. AI transport ships land there and drop of harder units each time. Your job is to finish them off, and keep up with the research at the same time (otherwise you'll have to fight much stronger units). You can configure the difficulty; how many waves (transport landings) there are, the interval, etc. So the goal is to survive all waves, not to destroy the enemy base, since there is none.

Why would this gamemode be so good? Well, often when playing skirmisch games, when you're over a certain point in the middle of match, it becomes too easy. You're stronger than the AI, you can shoot all their vtols out of the air and stop all their tanks. All that's left to do is make some army and drive into their base. It's very unlikely that the tables will turn. What we could do in the invasion mode: when an enemy transport arrives, the game measures how easily you can kill them. If you kill their units in 5 seconds without taking any damage, they send some serious tanks next time.

-share technology game
don't know about this 1 don't think its that good well simply put if you research something that research would be shared with ALL players enemies or allies.

-globe domination mode
This would be a single player mode. A map of the world would be shown and the player has to defeat country after country until he takes over the world
Countries
America
France
England
Italy
Africa
Russia
etc etc
each country would have a small bonus in their game for example America generates a bit more power from oil dericts and Russia gets a little extra firepower etc etc
Last edited by Tymon on 26 Aug 2008, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Re: varations?

Post by fisk0 »

Yeah, more game modes would be fine, though I doubt the world domination idea is doable :)

I think Capture the flag was done in StarCraft (might only have been a custom map), that might be interesting, but I suppose the pathfinding has to be improved since you'd need the flag carrying unit to get between the bases as fast as possible.

Perhaps there could be some Domination thing done i smaller scale? Have different regions on the map with players shall capture and hold for various benefits - could be a landing zone which drops reinforcements every 5 minutes or something, perhaps the game could be limited for time so the player or team that holds the most regions at the end of the match wins.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

Kill the commander sounds interesting imo.
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

...Or "Invasion" like in unreal tournament:
There's a circle in the map where you can not build. AI transport ships land there and drop of harder units each time. Your job is to finish them off, and keep up with the research at the same time (otherwise you'll have to fight much stronger units). You can configure the difficulty; how many waves (transport landings) there are, the interval, etc. So the goal is to survive all waves, not to destroy the enemy base, since there is none.

Why would this gamemode be so good? Well, often when playing skirmisch games, when you're over a certain point in the middle of match, it becomes too easy. You're stronger than the AI, you can shoot all their vtols out of the air and stop all their tanks. All that's left to do is make some army and drive into their base. It's very unlikely that the tables will turn. What we could do in the invasion mode: when an enemy transport arrives, the game measures how easily you can kill them. If you kill their units in 5 seconds without taking any damage, they send some serious tanks next time.

This might be a little too much work to implement, but it's just an idea :D
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

ratarf wrote:...Or "Invasion" like in unreal tournament:

This might be a little too much work to implement, but it's just an idea :D
That's a great idea in my opinion, could work in multiplayer games with more players as well, either all team up to fight the invasion or the invasion force will work as a "neutral" (or rather, enemy to all) force that everyone will have to fight against as well as each other.
I was also trying to think of Unreal modes and such which might work, but at the moment I don't have any ideas that haven't already been proposed.

Once/if the drive mode is implemented I guess there could be interesting fights where the AI controls the base production and you take control of a hero vehicle, somewhat stronger and faster than the others and fight the battle in first person.
Desktop: AMD Athlon X3 440 3.0ghz, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD4200, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Laptop: AMD Athlon X2 QL-64 2.1Ghz, 3GB RAM, Radeon HD3200, Windows Vista Home Basic 32-bit & Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
Purple Monkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Purple Monkey »

fisk0 wrote: perhaps the game could be limited for time so the player or team that holds the most regions at the end of the match wins.
What about if you get a point per zone per minute that you hold it, that way if you dominated near the start of the game you can still win. The game could then be ether point or time limited.

I like the sound of Kill the Commander and CTF. You would need an incentive to use the Commander like extra HP, Damage or RoF; otherwise it will just play like now with people hiding him in the base.
Tymon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tymon »

nice idea I love it!(added to 1st post)

maybe we can have the invasion force(transport ships) attack and all players would be a team the player with the most kills at the end of the game wins!

also for the commander thing how about this?

the commander can capture the enemies HQ if he does that team wins yet if he dies the other team wins. OR the game doesn't end if the commander dies but people who still have their commander alive can sneak him into enemies HQ and win.Btw it would be also a nice feature if the commander would be named the same as the player name XD

I also like the idea of domination and here is something I'm throwing at you

when you build and HQ that HQ turns some of the land around it yours. the game would be time-limited the person with the highest % of controlled land wins.
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

Purple Monkey wrote:
fisk0 wrote: perhaps the game could be limited for time so the player or team that holds the most regions at the end of the match wins.
What about if you get a point per zone per minute that you hold it, that way if you dominated near the start of the game you can still win. The game could then be ether point or time limited.

I like the sound of Kill the Commander and CTF. You would need an incentive to use the Commander like extra HP, Damage or RoF; otherwise it will just play like now with people hiding him in the base.
yeah, I think the Commander should have some advanced weapons, even before they are researched for use with other units (if that is possible), it would be great if it had about the same functionality as the Total Annihilation commander, like having an anti-tank/infantry gun, anti-air gun, a sensor/command turret and the ability to construct things, but that might be hard since it seems the engine (at least for now?) can only have two guns, and not sensors/truck turrets and guns at the same time.
Tymon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tymon »

Purple Monkey wrote:

yeah, I think the Commander should have some advanced weapons, even before they are researched for use with other units (if that is possible), it would be great if it had about the same functionality as the Total Annihilation commander, like having an anti-tank/infantry gun, anti-air gun, a sensor/command turret and the ability to construct things, but that might be hard since it seems the engine (at least for now?) can only have two guns, and not sensors/truck turrets and guns at the same time.

Maybe the Commander should have a disabiler? or something? that disables everything it hits?(including turrents and buildings) making him hard to kill and useable
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

fisk0 wrote:Once/if the drive mode is implemented I guess there could be interesting fights where the AI controls the base production and you take control of a hero vehicle, somewhat stronger and faster than the others and fight the battle in first person.
I would love that! A hero-vehicle in warzone would be really cool. Imagine a large tank with powerful weapons that shows "Ratarf" in a small font next to the unit's health bar... :) If we had something like that in the game, implemented the right way, players would feel more 'close' to the units they're attacking with. Right now, it doesn't really matter if one unit dies. But you don't want precious your hero to die...
Tymon
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tymon »

while it would be very awsome I don't know if it would be possible at all.

perhaps a developer can comment? I mean if you change the camera to a "FPS" like mode add a cross hair and some controls you got yourself an FPS mode but its up to the developers this sounds like a huge project
fisk0
Trained
Trained

Post by fisk0 »

Tymon wrote:while it would be very awsome I don't know if it would be possible at all.

perhaps a developer can comment? I mean if you change the camera to a "FPS" like mode add a cross hair and some controls you got yourself an FPS mode but its up to the developers this sounds like a huge project
I think there already is a first person driver mode in the debug version of the game, though I have no idea what system they're using for aiming.
If it is possible I think i'd propose using the mouse to move the turret and WASD or some user-defined set of keys to move the vehicle, perhaps having a moving crosshair, kind of like in rail shooters and the console version of GTA: San Andreas instead of the standard FPS "mouse look".
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Post by coolkid »

i like the ideal of world domination mode
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)