New to the new warzone, and a lot of questions

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
atdsutm
Greenhorn

New to the new warzone, and a lot of questions

Post by atdsutm »

how can i choose starting bodies? since i always start with project bodies.

and how can i unlock railgun tech in multiplayer? is it really far off?

is there a tech tree sheet?
Kreuvf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New to the new warzone, and a lot of questions

Post by Kreuvf »

atdsutm wrote:how can i choose starting bodies? since i always start with project bodies.
You can adjust the tech-level (when choosing the map select T1, T2 or T3) and select the starting base conditions (no base, base, advanced base) to alter the starting tech.
atdsutm wrote:and how can i unlock railgun tech in multiplayer? is it really far off?
It's always "unlocked" (as in "researchable") as along as you do not play with a mod that kicks out Rail gun technology. Research cannon upgrades and research facility upgrades (Synaptic link stuff).
There is no "sheet" for it, but several online resources. Search the forum.
Tiberian
Trained
Trained

Post by Tiberian »

i found a tech tree thread for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=588&p=4846&hilit=te ... ript#p4846
atdsutm
Greenhorn

Post by atdsutm »

thanks for the info

but i kinda like starting with light bodies since its disadvantageous to upgrade to them while the enemy just chooses project (snake) bodies
Lixtan
Trained
Trained

Post by Lixtan »

Well if you want to start with all of the light bodies, I suppose you'd have to find or make a mod that puts them at the bottom of the research tree or adds them to your researched items list from the get-go. However, different bodies have different capabilities, as I'm sure you know, which is why they come at different times.

For instance, New Paradigm bodies are faster but have less body points, which is why they come earlier in the tech tree. They are complete crap IMO (I suppose this depends on your playstyle, as some people are fond of the scorpion and perhaps the mantis, but that's not my playstyle.) but I suppose if you're low on resources they might be a wiser choice because they cost less to make. Do note that New Paradigm bodies have a fairly high thermal resistance as well.

Collective bodies are slower but have more body points, and they come next. These are probably the ones you'd want to have, because speed doesn't matter nearly as much as body points, which is unit survivability. They tend to cost much more than Project bodies though, so making units with these bodies in the beginning game would likely run your resources dry fairly quickly.

Nexus bodies are a combination of the good points of New Paradigm and Collective bodies, without the drawbacks. (I'm not sure about the thermal resistance of the New Paradigm bodies. It's likely that they are, but can somebody confirm this?) They are superior to the Project bodies in every way, which is what makes Campaign 3 such a pain in the arse sometimes. They cost even more than the Collective bodies however, so you are basically guaranteed to screw yourself over on resources.

So I'd say just live with starting with the Project bodies, because then you're not gimping yourself early on. :P
atdsutm
Greenhorn

Post by atdsutm »

ok i like lighter bodies because of their cheapness (especially Mantis), and for mobility for good hit n run, but i just think bodies should be fairly balance versus each other(except for Nexus bodies i dont even consider them balance in a multiplayer sense) and players should be able to choose what primary faction they're using

for example

project starting bodies - T1 paradigm bodies - T2 Collective bodies - Nexus bodies

but if a player choose New paradigm or collective, the tech order slot for the other bodies should exchange accordingly

Paradigm starting bodies - T1 Project bodies - T2 Collective bodies etc..

Collective - T1 Project bodies - T3 New paradigm bodies etc...

so if i choose NP then ill have insect bodies at the start and have snake bodies available for research just like how a player starts of with snake bodies and trying to upgrade to get insects and feline bodies.

Project bodies must be in the middle so that players would not immediately exploit the weakness of their current bodies
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

atdsutm wrote:how can i choose starting bodies? since i always start with project bodies.

and how can i unlock railgun tech in multiplayer? is it really far off?

The Railgun (or, more specifically, it's lower level equivalent the Needle Gun) is launched to from the HPV cannon.

I made this mistake in MP a few times myself... Kept going straight to Heavy Cannon and wondering why Needle never showed up, since in the SP campaign, the order you find the artifacts in never revealed to me that, in fact, the HPV is the necessary pre-req...
atdsutm
Greenhorn

Post by atdsutm »

Lixtan wrote:Well if you want to start with all of the light bodies, I suppose you'd have to find or make a mod that puts them at the bottom of the research tree or adds them to your researched items list from the get-go. However, different bodies have different capabilities, as I'm sure you know, which is why they come at different times.

For instance, New Paradigm bodies are faster but have less body points, which is why they come earlier in the tech tree. They are complete crap IMO (I suppose this depends on your playstyle, as some people are fond of the scorpion and perhaps the mantis, but that's not my playstyle.) but I suppose if you're low on resources they might be a wiser choice because they cost less to make. Do note that New Paradigm bodies have a fairly high thermal resistance as well.

Collective bodies are slower but have more body points, and they come next. These are probably the ones you'd want to have, because speed doesn't matter nearly as much as body points, which is unit survivability. They tend to cost much more than Project bodies though, so making units with these bodies in the beginning game would likely run your resources dry fairly quickly.

Nexus bodies are a combination of the good points of New Paradigm and Collective bodies, without the drawbacks. (I'm not sure about the thermal resistance of the New Paradigm bodies. It's likely that they are, but can somebody confirm this?) They are superior to the Project bodies in every way, which is what makes Campaign 3 such a pain in the arse sometimes. They cost even more than the Collective bodies however, so you are basically guaranteed to screw yourself over on resources.

So I'd say just live with starting with the Project bodies, because then you're not gimping yourself early on. :P
would that me its a bad thing since there are some techs or stuffs are in a role void? they should rebalance it in the next mod :evil: