Something a bit different

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Vasator
New user

Something a bit different

Post by Vasator »

Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. I have a general idea about warzone that I think would make an amazing game from. Is anyone here familiar with a game called Outpost? Why not combine the research abilities of this game into Warzone. Maybe make a game where you can build a colony on Mars or something in that genre.

It would still be a RTS like Warzone and in fact it could be made for war pretty easily (conflict with a neighboring colony?) Multiplayer could be created easily.

My Premise

It is several years after the events of Warzone 2100 (2150?) and North America, Europe, Russia, China, etc. have rebuilt their civilizations. Many areas of Earth are still uninhabitable and many nations have begun building Stations in orbit to colonize and terraform Mars.

You are in charge of (insert your nation here) and will be landing a colony ship on Mars. Your first mission is to establish a small colony capable of sustaining 500 Colonists within 3 months, then so on and so forth, with more objectives to met and research to gather.

You start off with different modules, then research bigger and better installations. Research Medical technology, bio tech, etc. You can build trucks for constructing buildings, power plants, agricultural domes, etc. Open trade with other colonies for resources, food, goods, etc. (trade could eventually lead up to war if you don't help one another)

Power plants could be solar, nuclear, geothermal, wind, etc.

I have more ideas, if you wish to hear more........

Thank you for reading
Ianator
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Something a bit different

Post by Ianator »

Oooh, I loved Outpost 2. Reading this made me dig out my copy!

Anyways, there's already kind of a "sequel" thing being worked on at http://www.warzone2200.com, but a lot of those guys are regulars over here too. There might be an element or two that would work really well.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

geez that is actually very ironic that you mention that... see thing is... i believe i already started and then shelved that very same scenario - even if it was original to the original format... shelved the idea due to the release of the source and have been trying to decide which way to take it.

have a look here... http://groups.msn.com/wz2100mars/_whatsnew.msnw

started that site on 10/5/2002 :)
Vasator
New user

Post by Vasator »

That sounds prett y cool Lav.. I have some building designs I created in Truespace (I haven't looked around much yet but i'm sure they have an updated version of PIE somewhere) Hopefully I can convert them into pie format and if anyone else is interested I would gladly give them to the group. Here were some of the ideas with the objects i created. (pics coming soon)

Command and Control Lander - Communications, Radar, Etc.
Power Lander - Power plant
Construction Lander - Three trucks to begin building

In the beginning you could build:

Regobrick Factory
Robot Factory
Agricultural Domes
Living Facilities
Hydroponic Facility
Medical Facility

The only question I think I would have was in Outpost you could dig several layers below the surface and build living facilities etc. would this be possible with the engine that WZ supplies?

That was the issue that i had when trying to design the game in DarkBasic, it would take a really long time to go from the surface to the lower levels and vice versa, I guess loading the maps took awhlile, although the UG maps were flat, the matrce i guess took awhile.

When I get home today I'll see if I can find my old models and textures and upload a few images of them. If not then probably this weekend.

Thanks

P.S. I didn't know there was an outpost 2. I'll have to look for that Ianator