Warzone is as good as I remember it BUT

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
karmazilla
Trained
Trained

Re: Warzone is as good as I remember it BUT

Post by karmazilla »

density wrote:Rman, is there a reason for your pompous English major tone?
I looked up "pompous" in Oxford:

pompous |ˈpämpəs|
adjective
affectedly and irritatingly grand, solemn, or self-important : a pompous ass who pretends he knows everything.

From what I recall, Rman was only rarely irritating, and did not pretend to know everything. He's a rare specimen that might come off as odd, or even repulsive at first, but prolonged exposure and an open mind will teach you to like it. In fact, if you think of him like this, you could say that Rman is exactly like Bacon Ice Cream. :)

Call "pompous" if you like; I'm heading back to my cave now. Peas out.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

density wrote:
themousemaster wrote:A quick check of his posting history indicates that he is an ego-inflated argumentative attention-grabber, who should go back tot he WoW general forums. :P
Troll/flame.

My posting history won't tell you much because all of my posts are in this thread. You should improve your reading comprehension before making any more posts and invest more thought into your half-baked insults.
You are correct, all of your posts have been in this one thread.

And all of your posts, bar none, have been insulting, demeaning, or haughty.

People like you are the reason I stopped going to the WoW forums so long ago.

Anyone who's sole purpose in anything is to win is a person who needs a greater grasp on life. Games are for fun, winning is a bonus.

I play poker. I know both sides of the spectrum, and I know what single-mided desire leads to.
density
Greenhorn

Post by density »

themousemaster wrote:And all of your posts, bar none, have been insulting, demeaning, or haughty.
Proof or concede.

I think the problem is that you are used to people licking your buttocks in an arguement. "Oh friend, I am sorry I disagree with you. Lets make up and just agree. We must agree on the fact that I am right, there can be no disagreement because we must coexist in perfect harmony."

My posts may not have that air of intimacy/goodwill but they are not hostile. I only reply with hostility in retaliation to trolling/flaming.
People like you are the reason I stopped going to the WoW forums so long ago.
I have nothing to do with WoW forums, I hate the game and don't respect the players. It is not people like me that made you stop going to the WoW forums. It is your intolerance and lack of a healthy sense of humor which stopped you from going to the WoW forums.
Anyone who's sole purpose in anything is to win is a person who needs a greater grasp on life. Games are for fun, winning is a bonus.
Someone who does not win is a loser. Are you a loser? Would you enjoy being a loser?

Multiplayer video games are competitions of skill/aptitude. If you do not enjoy competition, there is always The Sims for you.
I play poker. I know both sides of the spectrum, and I know what single-mided desire leads to.
You have impressed me with your qualifications. Being a poker player certifies you to be a philosopher and to understand human nature.

karmazilla wrote:From what I recall, Rman was only rarely irritating, and did not pretend to know everything. He's a rare specimen that might come off as odd, or even repulsive at first, but prolonged exposure and an open mind will teach you to like it. In fact, if you think of him like this, you could say that Rman is exactly like Bacon Ice Cream. :)

Call "pompous" if you like; I'm heading back to my cave now. Peas out.
HAH! Keeping an open mind will leave yourself wide open to a preemptive strike. The only defensive course of action is to scoff at verbose forum users and badger the rest into submission.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

:stare: ok - enuff now. end of flame war / discussion etc. please do not force the issue. thanks. :)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

--------------->

* Karma !! Good to see you again. :) I just mentioned you the other day in conversation with Grim on our #warzone2000 Irc Channel. Basically - you been missed my friend. :D

--------------------->

* Density: I'm busy doing stuff I enjoy with tangible results that others get a kick out of and which is helping (as best I can) advance WZ to the present day across the board. And while I enjoy yapping as much as the next fella (especially with smart, beautiful gals that are also NOT self-absorbed) I do hold tangible accomplishment, in whatever discipline, in the highest regard.

- Cheers, Rman :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
karmazilla
Trained
Trained

Post by karmazilla »

Rman Virgil wrote:* Karma !! Good to see you again. :) I just mentioned you the other day in conversation with Grim on our #warzone2000 Irc Channel. Basically - you been missed my friend. :D
I got a little nostalgic about our Fish vs. Cat thread from eons ago, and thought I'de peek over the fence to see if you were still around; and behold, your style of writing have not changed at all. And I am actually grateful for the discussions back then as I believe my written English improved because of it. Fun times.

I send greetings in Grims general direction (Ye Olde Canine and others too), but I'm just parsing by. Congratulations on the FMV and GPL clarifications.

So... Cheers!

PS. I thought Bacon Ice Cream analogy was funny. :P
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

and greetings and cheers right back at ya karma.

and i am not old... well ... :stare: ok so i am old... you dont have to keep reminding me. xD
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

------------------>

* The Bacon Ice Cream analogy was indeed priceless Karma. :) Your writing is good enough to earn you money, IMO.

* Though you just may be parsing through, it's nice to know your still out there, doing well and when the time comes for you to gasp with amazement over what has been done with WZ we can reach you. :D And that will happen sooner than my trip to Europe next year when I plan on looking you up.

* BTW... there was this Mom and Pop Ice Cream shop in San Fran that used to make their own odd ball Ice Creams from scratch. Stuff like avocado ice cream... but the weirdest one I ever tried was GARLIC ice cream. It wasn't bad mind you but I'll stick to chocolate-raspberry Italian gelatos. ;)

- Cheers, Rman xD

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
rush2049
Trained
Trained

Post by rush2049 »

You two certainly are different, heh.

I might like to suggest a new topic, I shall be starting it in the off-topic section, see you there...
michealPW
Greenhorn

Post by michealPW »

ouch wrote:I think it's funny when starcraft fans claim "Perfect" balance. All you have to do is mass produce terran marines and you could win every match.
The only way you could effectively use such a lack of tactics is against total newbies. Once you're matched with an equally skilled opponent, you would have a real hard time. Hell, I've beaten new players with 2 marines and 5 SCVs... That doesn't mean I'd sit and try and say Terran can easily rush Zerg... Nothing is easy!

The game really is balanced. This is esp. apparent when you're playing humans online. See, humans have an imagination, not a script of rules that tell them precisely how to act.

There are advanced and very trivial ways to counter such a lack of tactics. Zealots. For each marine you build, your opponent could build ~1.65 zealots. Zealots can easily take ~2.3 marines by themselves. Are you quick with mathematics? Zealots cost 100 minerals and 2 Psi. Marines cost 50 minerals and 1 Supply. Zealots are melee attackers but they move quick and have a heavy attack. Marines are ranged and move slow, hitting ground and air targets but only with low damage. In the end, it will be fair...

More advanced? A few High Templars with the Psionic Storm ability would lay waste to marines en mass. In addition, units that do secondary and tertiary damage as well, such as Mutalisks or Siege Tanks (Spread apart for effectiveness,) would really make you think twice about large groups of anything :)
ouch wrote:the brood war expansion made it even worse by allowing you to heal the marines.
For every unit that was given to Terran, counter units were given to the other races.
Example: Your group of marines and medics wouldn't even see my group of Dark Templars coming at them. Even if they could, my DTs have A) Shields B) One-Hit-Kills-Marines:P and C) High hit-points.... They can also merge into Dark Archons and steal your SCVs:)

They also wouldn't be able to see my Lurkers, who would shred through entire rows of your marines with each strike:)

Better yet, mix some Mutalisks with Devourers... Mutalisks' attack bounces of the original target, hitting units close by. Devourers spit acid spores, which multiply the effect of secondary and tertiary attacks... That means your Mutalisks are now directly hitting as many as 4 marines, killing all of them at once, one it. I could go on and on and on... That's what balance is all about.
ouch wrote:The interface was just as bad, only 12 units selected at a time? come on, how lame is that? and then the bar with the buttons on it was so huge it took nearly 1/3 of the screen.
I know this will be interpreted as an attack on WZ. So before I put it out there, let me first say I love WZ and think it is a great game. Also, I'm here with you guys and not on battle.net, aren't I?:)

Now, all that you claim is bad about the SC UI... StarCraft quite simply works and I'd love for you to find me a display setup that cannot properly render it. How often does it crash? How often have you heard people say "Hey, SC's UI doesn't show up properly on my system" or "Hey, SC's UI is causing problems with application <X>" or "Font this", "cursor that", "disable this", and "do that" -- The answer is never and you don't. StarCraft uses a minimalist approach to ensure maximum amount of out-of-the-box support. Nothing to switch on or off, just play it and love it.

Not exactly able to say the same about WZ. After what, 10 years of development? First of all, I had to establish which resolutions WZ could and couldn't use without breaking features. Even after that, I can't run the game with the gnome-screensaver on. I have to temporarily disable it every time... Then after I finally do get a game in, after starting up my screensaver again, I have to re-adjust my monitor settings 'cause the screen got moved around and shrunk heh heh... Basically, what I'm saying is the UI choices you critique StarCraft on are the very choices that make it such an accessible game. Think localization, too... StarCraft is available in multiple languages, each of which look identicle to each other. Do you think WZ's interface could scale to, say, Korean, which does not use the Latin Alphabet?:)
Softwares
Linux 2.6.24-19-generic(SMP)
Ubuntu 8.04
fglrx 8.6
SDL 1.2.11
Warzone 2.1b2

Hardwares
[email protected]
ATI Radeon x1600
VIA VT8237(Audio)
VIA VT6102(Network)
Maxtor 6K040L0
Ianator
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ianator »

michealPW wrote:Better yet, mix some Mutalisks with Devourers... Mutalisks' attack bounces of the original target, hitting units close by. Devourers spit acid spores, which multiply the effect of secondary and tertiary attacks... That means your Mutalisks are now directly hitting as many as 4 marines, killing all of them at once, one it. I could go on and on and on... That's what balance is all about.
I thought Devourers could only attack other air units, but it's been a while since I've played Starcraft. Do the acid spores splash to ground units too?
Grizzly_37
Greenhorn

Post by Grizzly_37 »

Hiya Karma!

Nice bumping into you...

How are you doing?
michealPW
Greenhorn

Post by michealPW »

Ianator wrote:I thought Devourers could only attack other air units
Jah, I suppose it has been awhile for me as well. You are right, Devourers can only attack air units.
Perhaps, then, replace the Devourers in that combination with Defilers and Plague the marines:P
Softwares
Linux 2.6.24-19-generic(SMP)
Ubuntu 8.04
fglrx 8.6
SDL 1.2.11
Warzone 2.1b2

Hardwares
[email protected]
ATI Radeon x1600
VIA VT8237(Audio)
VIA VT6102(Network)
Maxtor 6K040L0