Vote for the most useless T1 weapon

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.

What is the most useless early-game weapon?

Mini-Pod
22%
Mini-Rocket Artillery
11%
Flamer
28%
Machinegun
5%
Twin Machinegun
9%
Heavy Machinegun
3%
Light Cannon
10%
Other / Not Sure / They All Rock
11%

Total votes: 129

Alpha93
Trained
Trained

Re: Vote for the most useless T1 weapon

Post by Alpha93 »

I think that no weapon SUCKS if you can use it well,because everything has got a best target.
Xfire-->chris37killer
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

right
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Alpha93 wrote:I think that no weapon SUCKS if you can use it well,because everything has got a best target.
That's only if the game is balanced well. Which some argue isn't the case in Warzone (twin assault cannon in 1.10 comes to mind, as does HEAP bomb bay).
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

To those who voted for Flamer and Mini-Pods, those weapons have been recently upgraded (beta 3 or 4 I think) and are much more useful, especially flamers.
Try sending a flamer army to a player who likes to bunker-turtle. You'll win in no time.
About mini-pods, instead, they fire really fast and can take down light-to medium bodies if mass-produced.
Skrim
Trained
Trained

Post by Skrim »

I voted for Mini Pod. I've only played 2.0.10, so I don't know how they perform in 2.1.

They just all-round suck, IMO. They're weak, inaccurate, and flimsy, and the much much much better Lancer AT Rocket comes almost immediately after you've researched Mini Pod. Highest OUF.

Number 2 is the Flamer. It's weak, reloads slowly, and has short range. The really early-game Scavenger bunkers are not threatening enough to provoke the deployment of Flamers, and they're easily taken out by the Machinegun weapons anyway. And by the time the New Paradigm appears, you already have the Mortar, which IMO, is several orders of magnitude more awesome than this, even if it does only half damage to bunkers.

Number 3 is the Light Cannon. Not because the weapon itself sucks too badly, but because the Medium Cannon appears so soon afterwards that there is no point building Light Cannon units.

Number 4 is the Twin Machinegun. The Heavy Machinegun appears soon enough afterwards that there is no point in recycling your regular Machinegun Vipers to build this. The weapon itself is Ok though.

I actually like the Mini Rocket Artillery though. I use it in Alpha 10 as part of my fortifications against the New Paradigm counterattack. It's always fun to watch as the enemy units struggle to tackle layers of bunkers, walls and hardpoints, while Mini Rocket Artillery emplacements on a cliff high above them release a shower of blue rockets on them and cyborgs begin exploding amusingly. The only Paradigm unit that really stands up to the MRA is their heaviest tank, the HeavyCannon Mantis Tracks. But after Alpha 10, MRA sadly is of no use because of it's amazingly poor range.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Skrim wrote:I voted for Mini Pod. I've only played 2.0.10, so I don't know how they perform in 2.1.

Minipods... flamers... light cannon...
...(rest of post)

Boy are you in for a shock in the newest version ;p.

I have a suggestion to the site admins: when 2.2 comes out in earnest, lock this poll, and restart it. Once the new weapon attributes are in, I am curious to see how the results will change. My prediction will be the TMG taking first... but we'll have to see ;p
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

themousemaster wrote:
Skrim wrote:I voted for Mini Pod. I've only played 2.0.10, so I don't know how they perform in 2.1.

Minipods... flamers... light cannon...
...(rest of post)
Boy are you in for a shock in the newest version ;p.
Yeah, a shock right down to how lancer got changed from having exactly 6 prereqs from T1 No Bases, to being somewhere in T2 (with 24 prereqs). And that's not even the biggest change, the flamer change is probably worse (by "worse" I mean "more of a difference" not "lower quality").
themousemaster wrote:I have a suggestion to the site admins: when 2.2 comes out in earnest, lock this poll, and restart it. Once the new weapon attributes are in, I am curious to see how the results will change. My prediction will be the TMG taking first... but we'll have to see ;p
Why not 2.1? I have insider information (and by "insider information" I mean "publicly available information") that the devs are planning on releasing an RC Real Soon Now (psst, devs, remember your plans to release an RC Real Soon Now?).
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

From what I gathered, they were not going to release a new 2.1.betaX, instead working towards a release of 2.2 which included (among other things) the game videos... but that it would be a while.

Many a person only plays official versions, not wanting to deal with the hassles of a beta. So re-tooling the poll now would get a lot of people who are still playing 2.0.10 to vote, which defeats the purpose of voting with the new physics.

I'd rather do a new vote on an official release.
ziserman
Greenhorn

Post by ziserman »

Don't forget the twin machinegun. To me it's as useless as the light cannon, cause i simply upgrade them before having a chance to build them. Shame though, twin machinegun and mini-pod have actually some of the best sounds and graphics for me, they really should be stronger...
JJC
New user

Post by JJC »

But remember it may suck at the start but with upgrades it gets better. The light cannon is only a stop gap wepon for the meantime. The machine guns lose out to armor upgrades and better wepons being introducted. Rockets they have low hitpoints does their firepower make up for it? they lose out to defences, Flamers they only work at short range and become useless because of they low hitpoints and reload rate is slow and it decreases under fire.
Madman_Andre
New user

Post by Madman_Andre »

One would consider the machinegun to be the most useless, seeing as it's the very first weapon you start with, but it's quite useful in the first few missions. For me, the most useless would have to be the Flamer. The fact of the matter is, it is pretty strong. The other fact of the matter is that the other guy knows this and throws everything he/she/it has at any units that even vaguely appear to have that white turret. Most of the time a Flamer I build lasts long enough to get one good shot off at its target before giving up the ghost or retreating for repairs. Although the Twin Machinegun pulls a close second because you don't have much of an opportunity to use it.