Discord doesn't like me. Where can I have free chat ?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
bohan
Greenhorn

Discord doesn't like me. Where can I have free chat ?

Post by bohan »

The Warzone 2100 channels on Matrix (and IRC) are deserted, which I find very sad, because it's the only place I know we players can freely chat without having the burden to comply to rules we don't need, edicted by people who don't even play the game.

Alternatively, is there another chat system where players already meet beside discord?

PS: Since not everyone these days seem to know what those are, you can click the following link to easily open Warzone 2100 channels on both Matrix and the old IRC: https://matrix.to/#/+warzone2100:matrix.org
Last edited by bohan on 21 Sep 2020, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
themac
Trained
Trained

Re: Discord doesn't like me. Where can I have free chat ?

Post by themac »

What is the issue with Discord? It works either as a stand alone application or in your web browser!
bohan
Greenhorn

Post by bohan »

themac wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 20:11 What is the issue with Discord? It works either as a stand alone application or in your web browser!
Ahem, for some reason, I'm not really in the mood to detail my problems with some of the guys there.
To put it simple: think, adults meeting at the local bar. That's the chat I'm looking for.
bohan
Greenhorn

Post by bohan »

As I'm banned from discord, I encourage people to reach me on the modern Matrix chat (see link in the OP).
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

bohan wrote: 25 Sep 2020, 18:42 As I'm banned from discord, I encourage people to reach me on the modern Matrix chat (see link in the OP).
Just for the record: Not from the moderators of the WZ2100 Discord Server.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

For further verification:

The only Discord ban that occurred in the last several months was of a bot that was posting copious quantities of extracted text from eBooks, which occurred in the last few days.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, you're welcome to chime into the Discord server whenever you want. The rules are largely the same as any here, IRC, GitHub, or elsewhere: a general request for civility and consideration.
bohan
Greenhorn

Post by bohan »

Contrary to what is claimed above, I'm not seeing it welcoming, civil, or considerate, but rather redhibitory, to have people's genuine words deleted by a robot. No amount of refinement is going to cure a fundamentally bad idea. The operators there are not willing to even consider their mistake because they claim it's kind of imposed by the Discord company, who may decide to shut them down anytime for any ... "deviance?".

Because this is all boring bullshit, I think it's important to remind that the game's site also mention we can reach each others on opensource decentralised chat systems, like IRC, where there's a channel that's more free, and I encourage people to use a *modern* Matrix client to join (see link in the OP), rather than just the quick and dirty Kiwi webchat. There are even well known secondary alternate channels that don't have any explicit rules. Just ask or look up the list. It's all public, contrary to that other thing.
bohan
Greenhorn

Post by bohan »

I'm also banned from reddit's warzone2100 thread.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

bohan wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 19:49 Contrary to what is claimed above, I'm not seeing it welcoming, civil, or considerate, but rather redhibitory, to have people's genuine words deleted by a robot. No amount of refinement is going to cure a fundamentally bad idea.
The bot is intended to censor vulgar language such as racial slurs and other explicit language. (Without delving into it again: the bot's rules were not well-tuned at the time you joined, and have been massively refined. Things were getting caught up incorrectly, and that has been improved substantially - and as mentioned, if you find an example of something that is errantly caught, please let me know and it'll be addressed rapidly and fixed permanently.)

The same rules apply to the IRC server (and these forums), and are also enforced there - albeit by a different mix of mods and automated word-censoring-type filters. (You can double-check with Berg.)

bohan wrote: 26 Sep 2020, 20:01 I'm also banned from reddit's warzone100 thread.
If you can let me know what you're seeing, it might help figure out why you are seeing an error. Unless there's a glitch on my end, you are not banned from the warzone2100 subreddit - I just checked.
bohan
Greenhorn

Post by bohan »

I'm sorry pastdue for the time you're again loosing on this. I'm saying loosing, because we've already concluded that we have incompatible point of views.

So, once again, not for pastdue who knows already, but for other people who might also read this: I don't endorse the idea of being censored, even more by robots (!!!), hence why I cannot possibly join a chat where such practise is in place. This is not about fixing it. This is about not having put it in the first place. This is also about not having a private company impose its random rules on you, which are incompatible with the rights your country probably (I hope) gives you in public places.

Discussing Discord again is not going anywhere, and so this forum post wasn't really about Discord anymore but how to go beyond and past it, like making more people come to IRC and/or Matrix again.
bohan
Greenhorn

Post by bohan »

I'm going to contact the people at matrix.org to have a better understanding about how guests can be invited to join the existing IRC channel in the most seamless way, just like it is with the Kiwi link on wz's webchat page.
It's not really hard currently, but I noticed a few things that don't go as smooth as they could. If that's eventually improved, then I'll come back and propose we edit the webchat page to propose a link to an IRC/Matrix experience that's on par with the benefits that are so far only attributed to Discord according to this page.