Is this warzone heavier than the original?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
OldWZPlayer
New user

Is this warzone heavier than the original?

Post by OldWZPlayer »

Hello,

I think it's very good that Warzone 2100 is free today and is also being further developed and adapted to today's systems. I like the better, higher resolutions for the graphics, far more settings for the map selection and of course that (again) the multiplayer works over the Internet, even if I prefer to play against the computer.

But why was the AI ​​changed so much? Back then it was completely ok !?

In any case, I think the AI ​​is "a little" too hardcore - at least in the skirmish !!! And unfortunately also a bit buggy:

First I played a skirmish card with allied AI's in fixed teams against other AI teams with joint research, so that it went faster and so that I get a feel for WZ 2100 again. At some point, my allied AI's not only destroyed their own units and buildings, but also mine - without being able to defend themselves. I only noticed it at the end of the map.

That's why I started the map "Manhattan" later - without teams. I liked playing this map back then. All opponents had the same level of difficulty: medium. So all opponents should "play friendly" - according to info. But firstly, the opponents were of different strengths and secondly, sometimes very aggressive. At least one opponent was relatively weak with low-tech weapons (and therefore probably already defeated by other AIs), but at least one other was very, very progressive. This then attacked my base with many strong units with far more advanced weapons. Among them were a few hovers, but above all there were very, very many stubborn VTOLs that disassembled my buildings & units in too short a time, without my many anti-aircraft guns, and later even stormbringers (anti-aircraft lasers) doing much could. The normal anti-aircraft gun was also largely researched and the defense of the buildings and units was also researched relatively extensively. I hardly came after the buildings / units to repair or rebuild. As soon as I had set up a few anti-aircraft lasers again, they were destroyed again during the next attack, of course also other buildings / vehicles.
Something is wrong here, unfortunately. Either the AI ​​and the weapons of the VTOLs are far too strong here, or the defense is far too weak. In any case, I can't remember that with a similar level of research, the computer opponents in the original Warzone did so much damage at the time and, above all, attacked so specifically. In the past, the computer opponents mainly only attacked the factories, possibly also the trucks. Now they seem to be attacking everything, but mainly air defense. At that time, approx. 4-8 normale anti-aircraft-weapon per factory (or oil well) was more than sufficient, depending on the level of research. In the endgame, about 2-3 Stormbringers were enough and the buildings (including weapons) and vehicles were not destroyed by VTOLs as quickly as with this version.
In theory, the AI ​​had hardly destroyed a building via VTOL at the time, if you had built sufficient anti-aircraft weapons and also researched them, including building defense. And if you later built some stormbringers (lasers), the VTOLs didn't actually reach their destination. And if it did, then the auto repair was completely sufficient. Now you need a whole wall of anti-aircraft-weapon or stormbringer around the whole base and theoretically at every oil well, for which there is hardly enough space, since you also need "normal" weapons. And these too are destroyed far too quickly. A bunker was almost indestructible at the time (with appropriate research), unless you used bunker busters. I don't know exactly what weapons the computer opponents (especially the VTOLs) use here, but they do too much damage!

Anyway, it seems to me that this warzone 2100 is much heavier than the original (or as if my research stopped at the beginning) ???

(please excuse me if you find any mistakes - that was translated with Google )
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Re: Is this warzone heavier than the original?

Post by Cyp »

Was it a NullBot ally attacking you at the end? If so, it's this bug: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/issues/1026

Think AIs are rather unreliable in general. Think the BoneCrusher AI is supposed to play the least badly.
OldWZPlayer
New user

Re: Is this warzone heavier than the original?

Post by OldWZPlayer »

Cyp wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 21:36 Was it a NullBot ally attacking you at the end? If so, it's this bug: https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/issues/1026
Exactly, that could be the bug. My allies' VTOLs attacked me and each other after all opponents were defeated.
Cyp wrote: 31 Jul 2020, 21:36 Think AIs are rather unreliable in general. Think the BoneCrusher AI is supposed to play the least badly.
I did not change anything regarding the level of difficulty. The default settings were: NullBot and Mittel.

With the first card (8 players) I only selected the teams: Me & 2x AI against 3x AI against 2x AI

And for the second map (Manhattan, 8 players) I only selected my starting point (smallest island). Since the AI´s on my first map seemed a bit crazy, I deactivated the only enemy on my small island to give myself a small lead start with more oil wells (better, faster research). But that didn't help much either.

:...:
What settings should you make so that the AI corresponds exactly to the original Warzone 2100?

(translated with Google)