Does anyone still play this game?

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Mersaci
New user

Does anyone still play this game?

Post by Mersaci »

What is good? Does anyone still play this game? I would love to kick it again is been ages.

Aka MOW_BadBoy
Prot
Trained
Trained

Re: Does anyone still play this game?

Post by Prot »

According multiplayer lobby statistics: https://wz2100.euphobos.ru/top/
It's play enough to start and join network games.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Hi Mersaci,

Believe it or not, I remember you and your name, both screen name and real name. Not sure why those random facts have stuck in my head all these years that MOW_BadBoy = Mersaci.

You won all the KOTH tournaments in 1999 on mplayer. I think you won 3-4 tournaments, they were all on rush map and then you lost to CC-Vegeta because he used speed hack.

My screen name back then was chem_shadow and I remember chem_ti, chem_hero and chem_skywalker were good rush map players that gave you a run for your money.

You were the original and definitive "best player" when Warzone first came out. :D

Cheers
dedodgingese
New user

Post by dedodgingese »

Hello. Yes there are many players who accidentally found this game and you know what it's made quite an impression on me. I play this game very frequently (prob once a day), and I want to ask all you pros whats your idea of a best research path for PvP? I have a friend I want to eventually beat. We usually play FFA against Impossible bots on 10P - 5P. How do you guys feel about taking the limits off of 5 factories, 5 research bays, etc?
Mersaci
New user

Post by Mersaci »

MIH-XTC wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 18:27 Hi Mersaci,

Believe it or not, I remember you and your name, both screen name and real name. Not sure why those random facts have stuck in my head all these years that MOW_BadBoy = Mersaci.

You won all the KOTH tournaments in 1999 on mplayer. I think you won 3-4 tournaments, they were all on rush map and then you lost to CC-Vegeta because he used speed hack.

My screen name back then was chem_shadow and I remember chem_ti, chem_hero and chem_skywalker were good rush map players that gave you a run for your money.

You were the original and definitive "best player" when Warzone first came out. :D

Cheers
What's up bro? It's been a while, I just sold my Omen laptop and waiting on my parts to build a new rig, once that's is that let's get back at it. I am a lil rusty but nothing I can't fix in a few weeks
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

I would love to play WZ again, but these stuttering that occures after a while causes motion sickness to me I am afraid. D:
TheHero
New user

Post by TheHero »

I'm back after about 8 years. Very rusty.

Bit annoyed I have to start my online multiplayer ranking from scratch.

See you all on the other side
Haeniken
New user

Post by Haeniken »

Yes they play, but due to my busy time, I have less time for games, but I visit regularly. :?
dimka198
New user

Post by dimka198 »

Of course we play, why are we here then?
jamesparkhurst
New user

Post by jamesparkhurst »

Ive been wanting to play this game again. I used to play this game back in the day. Im not the best player but I did have a lot of fun times and I even met a few friends.
KojiKbuto20
New user

Post by KojiKbuto20 »

Yes there's some players yet
aliswe
Trained
Trained

Post by aliswe »

themac, can you explain what the stuttering is that you refer to? Something to do with the camera perhaps? I'd love to know more.

I've recently done a few adjustments to the terrain height tracking that I mentioned as motion sickness inducing. Not perfect yet, but definitely a lot better.

Also, please join the new Discord chat: https://discord.gg/uyvp8f
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

aliswe wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 10:38 themac, can you explain what the stuttering is that you refer to? Something to do with the camera perhaps? I'd love to know more.
I know exactly why. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15163#p144346

themac consistently sees the stutters with NullBot. They aren't the first to see this since I've seen
other posts from different users over the years saying NullBot is very performance heavy
on their computers. it happens to me also.

The thing is, NullBot has excellent performance logs. I once took away most of its
cache system to further analyze its performance to no avail months ago. However, I had
later realized I've seen this same kind of lag before... viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14963#p144881 So I'm under the impression NullBot's frequent unit movement, for the cluster regrouping, is killing performance.

I made a little tweak to script initiated orders in b2eb7f4ef4087b20c9dde1e4156e390e17485be6 to suppress duplicate orders, which is especially important for movement related orders. Certainly improved campaign and most skirmish bots.

So, in essence, we would need to find a way to substantially improve pathfinding performance for the current A* implementation (or finish this flowfield algorithm).
aliswe
Trained
Trained

Post by aliswe »

Wow! what an introduction. Definitely lots of history I'm missing here.

But I'm still not understanding exactly what's stuttering. I know that when scrolling constantly to one direction, the screen seems to kinda stutter once a second or so. Is that it?
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

aliswe wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 15:40 But I'm still not understanding exactly what's stuttering. I know that when scrolling constantly to one direction, the screen seems to kinda stutter once a second or so. Is that it?
Mmm, I don't really see that on my system. If there isn't much processing activity needed then it appears constant to me.

More of a performance issue themac was seeing. As long as there is a heavy load the scrolling will always have bad stutter waves. Script related intensity like enumerating giant arrays of game-objects and rapidly ordering units to move will cause a constant slow-down. In much worse cases the game will have to pause momentarily to finish processing some data (rare). That and just having more and more objects will cause a stutter-like scroll, this is natural.

I'm still of the opinion it's mostly because too much pathfinding activity is going on.