(Re)Programming Warzone (Discussion)

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

(Re)Programming Warzone (Discussion)

Post by AWarZoner »

This topic is "THE CLEANUP" from this topic: Don't reinvent the wheel!, and it's also a bit of a debate!
vexed wrote: This would give us much more flexibility, since, Qt does GUIs very well.
This would allow us to have much more freedom in how we can do things, and we could also integrate a IRC client into it as well if needed.
Yes integrating the IRC would be great!
vexed wrote: The possibilities are endless, however, this will *not* fix the in-game GUI, and I honestly don't see a good fix for that until someone rewrites it.
I have some spare time and know some C, so I can help but I don't know Qt.
So it means I must learn Qt. I think it will be a good challenge, so I will start as soon as possible!

EDIT: I see Qt uses C++ so that means I must first learn C++! So I can't yet help!
SECOND EDIT: I am buying books to learn C++ and Qt!
Last edited by AWarZoner on 30 Jun 2014, 07:48, edited 2 times in total.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Re: Don't reinvent the wheel!

Post by bendib »

The reason I don't like QT is precisely because it uses C++ and refuses to provide C bindings. With all the trash that GTK is, that's why for UNIX I always support GTK over QT.
Also known as Subsentient.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yeah, and with Qt scripting and network and GTK user interface and .NET map editor, all that remains would probably be provided by e17 fast software rendering engine - and then finally we're going to make one big hell of an epic great game.
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

bendib wrote:The reason I don't like QT is precisely because it uses C++ and refuses to provide C bindings. With all the trash that GTK is, that's why for UNIX I always support GTK over QT.
First thing:
"I Don't Want to Start a Flamewar"
Well I like C! :hmm:
But I still think for GUI apps C++ is better! :lecture:

P.S. You can use `some` C bindings in C++!
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

NoQ wrote:Yeah, and with Qt scripting and network and GTK user interface and .NET map editor, all that remains would probably be provided by e17 fast software rendering engine - and then finally we're going to make one big hell of an epic great game.
If I am finished learning C++ and Qt I will (re)program a `new` map editor in C++ and Qt. :geek:
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

:oops: :?: What does CLI mean :?: :oops:
Terminator wrote: However my attempt to make launcher didnt give much feedback(except "how it works").
I didn't know about your launcher. I will try it!
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

AWarZoner wrote::oops: :?: What does CLI mean :?: :oops:
CLI for warzone its "--host", "--join" commands
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

Thanks for the link!

P.S. I don't use Google I use DuckDuckGo.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

AWarZoner wrote: P.S. I don't use Google I use DuckDuckGo.
Signs of intelligent life in these parts! :^3
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

AWarZoner wrote:
If I am finished learning C++ and Qt I will (re)program a `new` map editor in C++ and Qt. :geek:
You may not be aware of this but Cowboy and Fastdeath are already re-deving the FlaMe map editor in C#. Both are not novices at this. I think redoing internal UI widgets scheme of supremely more value than another map editor, IMHO. :) And while a launcher can serve some valuable functions, there are others in cannot... at least, I don't think it can serve all.

AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

<
Rman Virgil wrote:
AWarZoner wrote: If I am finished learning C++ and Qt I will (re)program a `new` map editor in C++ and Qt. :geek:
You may not be aware of this but Cowboy and Fastdeath are already re-deving the FlaMe map editor in C#. Both are not novices at this. I think redoing internal UI widgets scheme of supremely more value than another map editor, IMHO. :)
Yes that's my problem! They are 're-deving' Flame in C# a "Microsoft Windows Language" only, the same as Visual Basic! :annoyed:

I'm not saying they must do it in C++ with Qt a "Cross Platform Language AND Framework" it's their decision not mine. I'm only saying I want to 're-write' Flame in a "Cross Platform Language"! :geek:
NoQ wrote:
Rman Virgil wrote:And while a launcher can serve some valuable functions, there are others in cannot...
Guys, again: with a nice CLI, a good launcher is quite omnipotent (see smplayer, which is merely a qt launcher for the command-line mplayer). I'm not sure it's exactly what we need, but it might just be the easiest thing to do.
That is my idea to 're-write' Warzone 2100 in C++ a CLI Program and, then a GUI with Qt. :hmm:

>
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

<
Rman Virgil wrote: @ AWarZoner: You've created what's called a "strawman" in logic. The C# FlaMe is cross-platform ! You need to do some more research on C# and MONO.. :3
I know: "Any thing "Microsoft Windows" is hackable" with Mono and Wine. I was refering to Cross Platform Compatibility without extra software! :geek:
Rman Virgil wrote: Re-writing WZ in C++.... do you have any idea of the man-hours that would take ? O_o
Yes but I have time! :geek:
I may sound stupid but so did he:
Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote: I think I will write a Operating System today. How hard can it be?
- On a Summer Day in 1998
>
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

@ AWarZoner: MONO and Wine are two different things and neither is a "hack". Do you know the difference between cross-platform, OSS, and native proprietary SW ? How would you create a Mac OS FlaMe that also ran on WIN and Linux platforms without what your calling "extra software" ?

The comparison to Linus and the linux kernel and rewriting WZ in C++, is not apples to apples for more than one reason but no need to go there.

If you have a passion for writing code by all means go for it. Not trying to discourage but its good to have realistic expectations. If you wanted to write fiction I'd advise working on short stories before attempting something on the scale of Tolstoy's "War and Peace" or George R.R. Martin's "Game of Thrones". That's it really. :)
AWarZoner
Trained
Trained

Post by AWarZoner »

<
Rman Virgil wrote: @ AWarZoner: MONO and Wine are two different things and neither is a "hack".
In my opinion they "hack/copy" Windows! :hmm:
Rman Virgil wrote: Do you know the difference between cross-platform, OSS, and native proprietary SW ?
Yes! :geek:
Rman Virgil wrote: How would you create a Mac OS FlaMe that also ran on WIN and Linux platforms without what your calling "extra software" ?
Using a cross platform language and framework e.g. C++ and Qt or C and GTK! :annoyed:

>
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I'd personally like to see the tiny and crippled built-in map editor of 2.3 actually work, and with terrain setting etc. Let it save .wz files with a dialog for player count and then your map editor IS the game. I've been looking into this.
Doesn't 3.1 still have it to some extent?

EDIT: Yes it does, but it crashes when you click the 'new' button to enter into it in the debug menu.