[OT SPLIT] random noise

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Duha
Trained
Trained

Re: [Campaign 4] Development topic

Post by Duha »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Here's a tip, kids: Always back up important things BEFORE you pass points of no return.

I've lost ALL of the work done after R16. I neglected to make sure that I had things properly backed up before perfoming a routine clean format / reset of my storage drive. I do this twice a year to keep my hard disks fresh and error-free. I'd like to chalk it up to being distracted by the ache of a broken arm, but the fault is mine nonetheless.

So, yeah. Back to the R16 ~ R17 baseline, it seems. At least the fixes are documented, mostly.

*sigh*
Experience received in hard way is priceless.

I prefer to storage all projects in one folder.
I have my wz launch script that syncs data from my development folder to wz folder and run warzone.

You can create git private repositories in different styles.
bitbucket
git + dropbox( or other web dirves)
http://addons.wz2100.net/ developer
Duha
Trained
Trained

Post by Duha »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:I've got a Github for Cam 4 but I've never been able to synch anything to it.
Do you need some help with this?
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Maybe in a few days. I might have to have surgery on my arm, so I'm kinda dwelling on that at the moment.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Here's a tip, kids: Always back up important things BEFORE you pass points of no return.

I've lost ALL of the work done after R16. I neglected to make sure that I had things properly backed up before perfoming a routine clean format / reset of my storage drive. I do this twice a year to keep my hard disks fresh and error-free. I'd like to chalk it up to being distracted by the ache of a broken arm, but the fault is mine nonetheless.

So, yeah. Back to the R16 ~ R17 baseline, it seems. At least the fixes are documented, mostly.

*sigh*
:shok: :shock: what?
hard drives are not eggs what needs to be fresh about them and how does formatting it make it error free?
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

When you have data stored on any hard disk, over time it can degrade (especially data that is accessed / changed frequently). "Recycling" that data (moving it elsewhere, formatting the storage drive, then replacing it) will keep hard disks from getting permanent bad sectors as well as maintaining the integrity of your hardware and the data itself. It's all part of maintaining one's hardware.

I'll freely admit that this is not so necessary with the hard disks produced after 2006, but it's still good practice. Back in the days of Windows 98/ME it was more applicable, especially since the operating systems of the time were so much more crash-prone, and were capable of taking your data WITH them.

Even now there's no reason NOT to refresh your drives occasionally.
Duha
Trained
Trained

Post by Duha »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:When you have data stored on any hard disk, over time it can degrade (especially data that is accessed / changed frequently). "Recycling" that data (moving it elsewhere, formatting the storage drive, then replacing it) will keep hard disks from getting permanent bad sectors as well as maintaining the integrity of your hardware and the data itself. It's all part of maintaining one's hardware.

I'll freely admit that this is not so necessary with the hard disks produced after 2006, but it's still good practice. Back in the days of Windows 98/ME it was more applicable, especially since the operating systems of the time were so much more crash-prone, and were capable of taking your data WITH them.

Even now there's no reason NOT to refresh your drives occasionally.
Did you do any mesures? IMHO defrag is enough.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

About ini: I have been working on an ini parser lately for go, next step if to write a set of helper structures/converter functions as well as figure out how to use encoding/csv and my simple warzone ini/csv editor library will be ready to go :)
Said library will support converting from one to the other, or maybe just csv to ini; depends on how much time I have and how bored I get :lol2:

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:This has been a strange winter up here in Michigan, to be sure.
I have to agree with that. Just to sastisfy my curiosity, what part of Michigan do you live in? (south, north, or middle; I in the middle, almost exactly :wink:
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
Duha
Trained
Trained

Post by Duha »

milo christiansen wrote:About ini: I have been working on an ini parser lately for go, next step if to write a set of helper structures/converter functions as well as figure out how to use encoding/csv and my simple warzone ini/csv editor library will be ready to go :)
Said library will support converting from one to the other, or maybe just csv to ini; depends on how much time I have and how bored I get :lol2:
That language you library use? In python it is very easy task.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

[OT SPLIT] random noise

Post by milo christiansen »

go, golang.org

My go-to lanuguage of choice :wink:

As for python... There is no language I dislike more, but lets not derail goth's thread.
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Backups are good, but I am really curious on your above comments.
There should never be a need to do that to storage drives, especially for the stated reasons.
If the HD has errors on it (bad clusters), then doing a format only hides the problem by the HD doing a remap of said bad clusters.
Once the HD has those, then might as well use it only as a scratch drive, it is useless for anything else.
The "refresh" part is also confusing, since magnetic media can hold data for a very long time, and we are talking years, way past the expiration date of the HD. Unless of course, you play with some really strong magnets, have high voltage lines going across your house, or have really radical temp changes.

Sorry for going OT, but, you push paranoia to a new level by doing that, even the DOD doesn't do what you are doing. :shock:
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

No, the DOD just carry out experiments on civilians, bomb foreign countries to grab their resources, overthrow governments and murder millions of civilians. I don't think Goth is planing to do any of that stuff. It's deeply abhorrent to refer to DOD in the context of Goth formatting his HDD.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Didn't mean to cause a fuss. It's just the little things I've always done to maintain my hardware and my data. You guys aren't the first to tell me it's a bit overkill. The lesson I wanted to get across was "make sure you back up -- OFTEN!". TO be frank, the changes that were lost I can apply again over the course of a couple of days. Sucky, but could have been worse. I have a firm base to work off from, and most of the changes were documented as I was doing them.

Moving right along .. speaking of 'right', my arm is not quite as bad as surmised and should heal fine as long as I am REALLY careful and don't do anything else gnarly to it. This will slow down getting things with Cam 4 sorted though.

@ Milo: I have a bird's eye view of the demolition of the old CMS Energy headquarters in Jackson. And that's VERY good that you've been working on the .ini parsing stuff. Doing the conversion manually was VERY slow. I'm interested with what you've come up with, and I'll be sure to check it out when it hits the light of day.

@ Duha: I'll take you up on the offer of helping me get the Github stuff sorted out. Now that it's more clear what is going on with my arm, I'm going to pass the time by getting things done, and the Cam 4 Github is on the list of stuff to do. :D

This took me a half hour to write, heh.
Duha
Trained
Trained

Post by Duha »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote: @ Milo: I have a bird's eye view of the demolition of the old CMS Energy headquarters in Jackson. And that's VERY good that you've been working on the .ini parsing stuff. Doing the conversion manually was VERY slow. I'm interested with what you've come up with, and I'll be sure to check it out when it hits the light of day.
Each file is unique and need to be worked separately. May be you just describe what you need.
@ Duha: I'll take you up on the offer of helping me get the Github stuff sorted out. Now that it's more clear what is going on with my arm, I'm going to pass the time by getting things done, and the Cam 4 Github is on the list of stuff to do. :D
What operating system you use?

start from here http://try.github.com/levels/1/challenges/1
Improve you skills with one hand. Is is not so hard. Learn more about hot keys.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

aubergine wrote:No, the DOD just carry out experiments on civilians, bomb foreign countries to grab their resources, overthrow governments and murder millions of civilians. I don't think Goth is planing to do any of that stuff. It's deeply abhorrent to refer to DOD in the context of Goth formatting his HDD.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
WTF? :shakehead:
your remark is deeply abhorrent and I am shocked at your response
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Duha wrote:
Goth Zagog-Thou wrote: @ Milo: I have a bird's eye view of the demolition of the old CMS Energy headquarters in Jackson. And that's VERY good that you've been working on the .ini parsing stuff. Doing the conversion manually was VERY slow. I'm interested with what you've come up with, and I'll be sure to check it out when it hits the light of day.
Each file is unique and need to be worked separately. May be you just describe what you need.
What operating system you use?

start from here http://try.github.com/levels/1/challenges/1
Improve you skills with one hand. Is is not so hard. Learn more about hot keys.
Oh my. JUST what I needed! :D Thanks a TON! And the Code School has a bunch of OTHER stuff that I would find useful. WOW!