The Doc's Bio Lab for Scav Experiments - & other oddities.

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: The Doc's Bio Lab for Scav Experiments - & other odditie

Post by aubergine »

Awesome stuff Rman!!

Part 2 -- at the end of that section I assume the red sky (grandfather's fire) is in the morning (fisherman's warning)?

Part 3a -- in WZ hovercraft go in to battle ...would the windshield start to crack at the mere pelting of large hail stones? And later the terrain being a risk -- making the hover sound very fragile and not something you'd consider going in to battle with. If it's just a small transport hover, then maybe that needs mentioning somewhere so people aren't visualising of the sort of beast you'd mount a scourge missile battery on.

Anyway, really awesome writing -- I hope there's a part 4, how did the meeting go? Where to next?
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

aubergine wrote:Awesome stuff Rman!!

Part 2 -- at the end of that section I assume the red sky (grandfather's fire) is in the morning (fisherman's warning)?
Thank you, aubergine. :) You get so close to this stuff that you think it could just as well turn out to be far less than you hoped for.

Yes. Dawn.
Red sky at morning, sailor take warning…
Can you believe that rhyme is 2000 years old.

I come from island fisher folk on both sides. The Caribbean on my dad's side and the Adriatic on my mom's. I was also born on a small island in the heart of NYC. Both my grams filled my head with stories of my ancestor's ways and traditions as a kid. As a man I sought out mentors in those traditions. There is some bio in this story mingled with the purely imagined. Which is which, I won't say. :hmm:
Part 3a -- in WZ hovercraft go in to battle ...would the windshield start to crack at the mere pelting of large hail stones? And later the terrain being a risk -- making the hover sound very fragile and not something you'd consider going in to battle with. If it's just a small transport hover, then maybe that needs mentioning somewhere so people aren't visualising of the sort of beast you'd mount a scourge missile battery on.
I was thinking of the hover they used as a non-combat, utility hover. Along the lines of just moving peeps, parts and supplies in and around the Trinity facility. Something like the search and rescue hover below.

And check out this really cool and differen hover:

SEE SOURCE: http://www.hovercraft.com/content/

Anyway, really awesome writing -- I hope there's a part 4, how did the meeting go? Where to next?
Thanks. :) The next graphic is on the timeline after the meeting and gives some clue to the evolution of the relationship while opening wide the overall WZ world.

So does the opening graphic with the Doc experimenting on scavs -scavs from the Seven Nations.

These events will all be connected in a story that also tells of the Mangodai origins - with blood ties to the Doc.... remember his paraplegic son ? Jason Reed.... ;)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Yes, I remember the story about him losing his legs, giving a whole different perspective on Dr. Reeds motivations. However, it left Dr. Reeds "cleansing the earth with fire" (The Collapse) somewhat unexplained.

Anyway, looking forward to next instalment.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

aubergine wrote:Yes, I remember the story about him losing his legs, giving a whole different perspective on Dr. Reeds motivations. However, it left Dr. Reeds "cleansing the earth with fire" (The Collapse) somewhat unexplained.

Anyway, looking forward to next instalment.
It did leave it unexplained. Just planted the seed for his evolving meglomania that would culminate in the Collapse years after the Jason Reed trigger events (and what happened to his wife some years before that when Synaptics Inc. first went multinational).

Still indeed have to tell the story of when he crossed the line. And that line would be this: the mass murder of innocent civilians an acceptable means to his ends. A line he would have had to cross first that would lead to his machinations in the Collapse. I've yet come up with a compelling and believable set of events / scenes to portray that as tragic drama and not just over the top melodrama, which I can write now but would rather not go that way. I hope it will come to me at some point. In the meanwhile I write what I can around that particular story.

As the great Odysseus Elytis wrote in his "The Mad Pommegranate Tree":
…you cannot force the flower.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

The age of the nation states having a monopoly on space is already over. That the trend of such companies like SpaceX will continue in the generations to come would seem a reasonable extrapolation.

http://www.spacex.com/

What other extrapolations can we make leading up to the Collapse ?

~ The International Space Station will go through several expansive, evolving, iterations.

~ A self-sufficient moon facility will be established one whose main functions is to build and operate a Mass Driver Catapult launcher. One of the first primary missions of this capability is to establish a colony on Mars. (Later on, Titan.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_driver

And after the nukes....

~ The Collapse doesnot destroy the Space Station, the Moon Launch Facility or the Mars Colony.

~ Also - around the planet there have survived, intact, some resources to reach orbit, reach the Intnl. Space Station, etc.

One of these surviving facilities is discovered by accident in Central America by a Seven Nations scouting party. While they donot have the means to exploit it, they certainly know all who can.

Attachments
Yucatan Space Port 5.jpg

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I wonder which places throughout the world would manage to avoid getting nuked? Antarctica perhaps?

Also, I wonder if there'd be any floating cities during the pre-Collapse world?
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:I wonder which places throughout the world would manage to avoid getting nuked? Antarctica perhaps?
After winning cam4, the Project visits Antarctica to finally enjoy a relatively radiation-free vacation, only to find a very advanced faction already there that controls huge amounts of local high-quality oil resources suddenly found there :roll:
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

What would be the likely targets of a nuke war some 70+ years out ?

~ The most densely populated urban centers.

~ Military assets.

~ Infrastructure like energy grid hubs, water supply, dams, whatever major oil fields left, solar farms, geothermal, hydro-electric, etc.

I would imagine there was still real estate where none of that criteria prevailed, left untouched.

Was there ever a number mentioned for the warheads in the WZ back story ? Or the type of warheads ?

There are already folks taking floating cities seriously. To accomodate as many as 50,000 and about 12 miles off continental coasts. Would all such be targets ?

Nice Antartica map, btw. :3

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Rman Virgil wrote:Nice Antartica map, btw.
It's called FishNets :P
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

NoQ wrote:
Rman Virgil wrote:Nice Antartica map, btw.
It's called FishNets :P
:lol2:

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Bwahaha XD good one!
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Here's some artist concepts for Floating Cities that I found facinating:

http://www.google.com/search?q=floating ... 2wXPnoCoCw

Got me to thinking about a large water dominant map and using HB's "Ariza" tertiles to make player positions "Floating Base Fortresses" instead of just terrain islands, as has been done in the past many times. :hmm:

Maybe do it in Antartica with Scavs and oil resources on ice floes that are moving around continuously. ;)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

If I understand correctly, the main driver behind floating cities is to escape the legal, monetary and ethics frameworks used on land.

For example, a floating city could be used to legitimately provide slave labour services to the mainland, without having to deal with constant legal battles. Any of the workers get out of hand, just kill them and throw them overboard, it's an elitists dream.

In the other direction, again they are useful for escaping crazy land laws, allowing peaceful communities of like-minded people to escape the insanity of world government, etc. Obviously, this variant of floating city will quickly be eradicated by the other unless very well defended.

So, post-Collapse I think you'd find both types, but obviously significantly more of the nastier type. I imagine, though, that the Seven Nations would have freed some of the floating labour camps by that time.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

this is all stills then?
how long does it take to render that?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

aubergine wrote:If I understand correctly, the main driver behind floating cities is to escape the legal, monetary and ethics frameworks used on land.

For example, a floating city could be used to legitimately provide slave labour services to the mainland, without having to deal with constant legal battles. Any of the workers get out of hand, just kill them and throw them overboard, it's an elitists dream.

In the other direction, again they are useful for escaping crazy land laws, allowing peaceful communities of like-minded people to escape the insanity of world government, etc. Obviously, this variant of floating city will quickly be eradicated by the other unless very well defended.

So, post-Collapse I think you'd find both types, but obviously significantly more of the nastier type. I imagine, though, that the Seven Nations would have freed some of the floating labour camps by that time.
Facinating. Thanks for sharing. :) And to Shadow for bringing it up. It was totally unknown to me prior.

Came across some interesting refs to Bilderberg type secret global power brokers. Dovetailes with Reed.

Also ones that would circumnavigate the planet every 2 years.

Even Thomas Dolby of "Blinded by Science" fame has an online MP game based on the concept called "The Floating City":

http://blog.ted.com/2011/06/23/play-tho ... ting-city/
Originway wrote:this is all stills then?
how long does it take to render that?
You mean as in rendering a 24 FPS clip of some minutes at hi res, shaders, shadows, a voice synced voice track, etc... 24 / 7.
Just for a still cap, not even in that universe.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo