The Doc's Bio Lab for Scav Experiments - & other oddities.

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: The Doc's Bio Lab for Scav Experiments - & other odditie

Post by Rman Virgil »

Thanks a bunch for those links and detailed info, aubergine. The state of mainstream journalism here in the US, both in print and broadcast, is woefully lacking to say the least. I haven't been keeping up with current events the last few months with alternate NEWs feeds either. Heck, I've even set aside gaming during that interval. I tend to go all in with whatever I'm doing and right now it's the latest objectives of this thread. :hmm: After the end of this year I'll have an added 40+ hours a week to work with so I'm sure that will make a huge difference in what I can attend and do on a daily basis.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Today in Gezi park....

* Protesters built a library, with poetry / philosophy / art books, etc
* The Istanbul Municipal Symphony Orchestra performed in the park
* Istanbul Municipal Opera performed in the park
* Istanbul Municipal Ballet performed in the park

Of course according to Turkey's Prime Minister, these are plunderer terrorists... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151660964553324

Sadly, police have resumed their attacks, with videos now surfacing of police water cannon lorries driving directly in to crowds of people.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

aubergine wrote:Today in Gezi park....

* Protesters built a library, with poetry / philosophy / art books, etc
* The Istanbul Municipal Symphony Orchestra performed in the park
* Istanbul Municipal Opera performed in the park
* Istanbul Municipal Ballet performed in the park

Of course according to Turkey's Prime Minister, these are plunderer terrorists... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151660964553324

Sadly, police have resumed their attacks, with videos now surfacing of police water cannon lorries driving directly in to crowds of people.
Wow. That is something to reflect on. If it is a tipping point toward fundamental change, how will the new power structure take shape on the other side ? It always comes down to that. How shall divergent PoVs co-exist without the dynamics of domination ?

** Which reminds me - have to get The Project power structure, based on the Pirate Party, into the "Part B Timeline".

========>

After watching the Dr. Lim vid, my girlfriend found and shared this one from the "Evironmental Defense Fund" called The Solar Radiation Management Governance Initiative :

http://vimeo.com/30192030

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

The following insight and language I owe entirely to MIT alumnus Annalee Newitz of io9.com

The 6th Mass Extinction ? :

Since life emerged on Earth there have been 5 Mass Extinctions where up wards of 95% of all life was extinguished.

The Expanded Timeline reflects 2 basic tragectories: acts leading to the 6th Mass Extinction and acts to avoid it.

The strategies to avoid it can be summerized in the following phrase: "Scatter, Adapt, and Remember".

In a real sense, this can be viewed as the grand theme.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Here's what the people of Turkey are discussing prior to their PM returning from his business trip: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/occupy ... sCatID=341

It's important to note that what's happening in Turkey was not triggered by "agents of change" - instead it is a purely civilian uprising, led by the civilians. It's highly unique in that respect.

What aspects of the Pirate Party were you looking to apply to the Project? Their inner workings or the public facing open democracy part?

Thanks (to you and your gf) for the SRMG vid - most interesting!

The 6th Extinction is a very good thing to add, kudos! We already see much happening regarding the 'remember' part - such as DNA material bank lowered in to the ocean, seed archives, the internet, and so on.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

While on the hunt for this elusive timeline...

Is this something we all want to adopt as official canon? Should we ask any of the old pumpkin crew if they think it should become part of the WZ lore?

Also, can they share the ideas they had for 2120 or is that still considered IP of whoever now owns Eidos.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

aubergine wrote:Here what the people o Turkey are discussing prior to their PM returning from his business trip: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/occupy ... sCatID=341

It's important to note that what's happening in Turkey was not triggered by "agents of change" - instead it is a purely civilian uprising, led by the civilians. It's highly unique in that respect.
Spontaneous grassroots uprising, without agents of change, does make it different. I do think at some point, the other side of esprit de corp exuberance, there will be fracturing into factions and that will pose it's own challenges to civil cohesion moving foward.
What aspects of the Pirate Party were you looking to apply to the Project? Their inner workings or the public facing open democracy part?
After reading the various declarations I zoned in on the direct participatory democracy aspect as opposed to the representative democracy of the US.

However.... there is something we have yet to discuss about those 14 years in NORAD. Something that was first documented in the scientific lit as a result of behavioral observations of those working in Antartic Research Facilities and then it also came up in the "Biosphere 2" project. It's called Confined Environment Psychology.

Jayne Poynter, one of the original biospherians, has written a paper on it: http://www.janepoynter.com/documents/Bi ... rmance.pdf

I posit this would pose a huge challenge over those 14 years in NORAD regardless of the governing / power structure. This can certainly translate into storytelling but not sure about RTS gameplay.

I think Poynter's paper is a comprehensive breakdown of all the challenges that The Project would have to deal with over those 14 years in NORAD. A blueprint, if you will.

I also believe that the earlier postulation that one of the tasks The Project would be engaged in over those 14 years, the restoration of the MagLev system to the Seattle D.U.M.B., would help mitigate the deleterious effects of the NORAD I.C.E....
Thanks (to you and your gf) for the SRMG vid - most interesting!
You bet. :)
The 6th Extinction is a very good thing to add, kudos! We already see much happening regarding the 'remember' part - such as DNA material bank lowered in to the ocean, seed archives, the internet, and so on.
Wade Davis coined a useful term for this about 6 years ago: The Ethnosphere

He posited that as we seek to preserve "The Biosphere" so should we "The Ethnosphere".
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 07 Jun 2013, 13:28, edited 2 times in total.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:While on the hunt for this elusive timeline...

Is this something we all want to adopt as official canon? Should we ask any of the old pumpkin crew if they think it should become part of the WZ lore?

Also, can they share the ideas they had for 2120 or is that still considered IP of whoever now owns Eidos.
I have not been in touch for years. After 5+ years "nagging" them about liberting the source I figured they needed a break. ;) Then the GPL exception clause... but that's a can of worms best left to RIP.

aubergine has made contact more recently. He might be able to answer those questions. I cannot.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Most current iterations of the Expanded Timeline inclusive of recent discussions as well stuff not discussed at all.

Have at it. :P

Me ? I'm off to wood shedding till the next iteration. :D

EDIT: LATEST versions in posting below. Removed attatchments here.
Last edited by Rman Virgil on 10 Jun 2013, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Now if only we can make the jump borgs not look so arse :lol2:

Like the late change for the iron womb. Increased growth rate would explain the number of combat personnel that can be fielded during cam1-3

One thing I think should be modified.. As you have probably seen, (Nice article in Popular Mechanics many years ago anyway) using carbon nanotubes we could already start constrcution of a nice space elevator. Only problem is the location and cost.. Perhaps change from research to actual construction begins? I would think that considering the amount of materials, cost, and the distance involved would probably require a decade just for the construction alone.

Also, did you already read about this? http://www.amendment2.com/rynohide-with ... nanotubes/ I first heard about this company after newtown. Till then didn't know anyone was producing nanotube body armor. Forgot to check if they offer level IV or IVa milspec armor (the nice kind that will stop an M16 round).

Last, what does D.U.M.B stand for, haven't run across it yet.. or just missed it.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Now if only we can make the jump borgs not look so arse :lol2:

Like the late change for the iron womb. Increased growth rate would explain the number of combat personnel that can be fielded during cam1-3

One thing I think should be modified.. As you have probably seen, (Nice article in Popular Mechanics many years ago anyway) using carbon nanotubes we could already start constrcution of a nice space elevator. Only problem is the location and cost.. Perhaps change from research to actual construction begins? I would think that considering the amount of materials, cost, and the distance involved would probably require a decade just for the construction alone.

Also, did you already read about this? http://www.amendment2.com/rynohide-with ... nanotubes/ I first heard about this company after newtown. Till then didn't know anyone was producing nanotube body armor. Forgot to check if they offer level IV or IVa milspec armor (the nice kind that will stop an M16 round).

Last, what does D.U.M.B stand for, haven't run across it yet.. or just missed it.
D.U.M.B. = Deep Underground Military Base.

I came across the nanotube armor recently too. :)

I'll change from research to field testing then construction. I agree with the 10 years to compleation. :3

I also believe that events Post the original campaign should include nano tech because it dovetails with the conditions and challenges of a world in the aftermath of an appocalypse. A natural conduit for this would be the Moon and Mars colonies, I think.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

My main portal for all things nano: :geek:

http://www.nanotech-now.com/

And my artist's eye is totally captivated by nano images: XD

https://www.google.com/search?q=nanotec ... 80&bih=574

=======>
Lord Apocalypse » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:45 am, wrote:

Now if only we can make the jump borgs not look so arse
Rman wrote:

For the record, the threads where the specifics of a solution where discussed are linked below.

Please note the synergy of the issues of the first thread's solution linking up to the jump borg solution. Synergy and dependency, to be exact.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=10427&hilit=camera

http://hosted.zeh.com.br/mctween/animationtypes.html

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=10498&p=116260&hilit=jump+borgs
Personally, think Jump Borgs can be skipped entirely in favor of Jet Borgs.

SEE: http://www.jetman.com/?page_id=2

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Another set of revisions. Next set will be posted a week from tomorrow.

=======>

Posted the following in aubergine's cool scav images thread and it also belongs here because it is an insight I am gonna follow through on going forward in my own efforts.
Rman wrote:Even though the game doesn't support the persistent wreakage of a battlefield.... I have imagined scavs grabbing and working with whatever was left - tank parts, borg parts, vtol parts and transport parts. As such, even scav mods have only scratched the surface of what scav units could be like.

Attachments
2018 to 2067 Time Interval Part A.jpg
2068 to 2107 Time Interval Part B.jpg

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Something else you may want to check out (again if you haven't already) is something called liquid armor. Found a video for it on youtube awhile back. Interesting stuff.

Will look at the revised timeline and see what new tidbits I can come up with.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Appreciate the input. :D And there is plenty of time to mull over the current set as I won't be posting revised versions for another 7 days, next Sunday. :3

Coincidentely, a few weeks back, I recall liquid armor comming up in a discussion with Mero. Why it came up, don't have the foggiest notion at the moment. O_o

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo