Hello

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
wz alex
New user

Hello

Post by wz alex »

Hi All,

I'm Alex McLean, one of the Warzone 2100 programmers.

I just dropped in to say how wonderful it is to see that people are still playing Warzone and that there's still development & updates; I can't quite believe how much the community has done with it over the years.

I could never have expected that Warzone would live so long; a game that we worked on over 20 years ago.

All the best,
Alex
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Hello

Post by pastdue »

Hi Alex!

Welcome back - super excited to see you around!

For all that you did with the original development (and open sourcing): I can't thank you enough. Not only would it (obviously) not exist without you, but it probably wouldn't be thriving like it is today without the efforts to help it cross the threshold of commercial -> open source project (which I'm sure wasn't easy).

Indeed, it feels like a bit of a renaissance recently! There have been an incredible number of community-contributed developments in even the last few years: Vulkan and OpenGL ES backends (in addition to the Desktop OpenGL backend), display scaling, spectators and replays, brand-new AI bots, script-generated (random) maps, a years-in-the-making rebalancing, two additional soundtrack albums ("Legacy" Soundtrack, "Aftermath" Soundtrack) - too much to mention, but those are a few highlights.

And there is indeed (still!) a lively multiplayer community, and new people (and returning fans) checking out campaign and skirmish every day.

These forums are a bit sleepy at times, but you're always welcome to join and check out the Discord server as well, which is quite a bit more lively: https://discordapp.com/invite/ZvRVQ8g 8-)
AlexTheDacian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AlexTheDacian »

The man, the legend, Alex the Menace! :lol2:

Welcome back to our little cyberspace, where NEXUS likes to throw some tantrums every once in a while, and the Project has to pacify both him and his pesky minions. :D
I'mma big Lupus now :lol2:
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Nice of you to drop by! :wheee:

While the internals of Warzone 2100 have evolved over the years, it still feels like that same ole fun and awesome game you would remember.