Contribute. Web design and layout talk.

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Contribute. Web design and layout talk.

Post by qubodup »

Last edited by qubodup on 15 Sep 2007, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Re: Contribute.

Post by Kamaze »

We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Re: Contribute.

Post by qubodup »

1. Why did you change to the current web page? (Layout/design) It does not have any wz2.1k feeling. Did the old page brake or didn't you like the old cms? Do you have access to the old page's content (text and images)?
2. Do you need a) a web designer and/or b) some idiot-worker who takes text/image-content from the old page and pastes it in the new one?
3. What is the name of the comic from which the characters in your avatar is? Mine is from http://www.blastwavecomic.com/
4. Do you want the wiki, the page and the forum to not look alike?
Last edited by qubodup on 15 Sep 2007, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Contribute. Web design and layout talk.

Post by Rman Virgil »

----------

* qubodup, this is a first (for me anyway) in all my years in the WZ community I've never seen anyone use comix panels to communicate - and I have to say, besides being very effective, it is delightful, charming and just the kwelest. :) (Yes, been a fan of the artform for as long as memory serves me.)

Cheers, RV

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

IMO we can always use people. And if you have good ideas how something could be improved, I don't think anyone will object to looking at it.
Best is probably if you talk to Kamaze and if you two need additional input or can't agree on something ask the dev-team.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

1. The old CMS was very powerful, but not usable for other team members and heavily overpowered for our purposes. And the old layout was very inflexible and not usable for the things i still plan for the future.

2. This is just blocked due my laziness...

3. I don't know, it is taken from a small strip which i found in the wide world of webs. It don't has any copyright notice.

4. The website/wiki/forums must not look the same, in my point of view. They have to be user friendly and usable primarily.
Sure, it is possible to create something friendly which fades flawlessly into another page area, but the benefit compared to the effort to do such a thing embarrassed me to do so until today.

Well, I'm the last one who is against any suggestions which improves the whole website.
But I'm more interested that the sites runs smoothly at first, eye candy is on the second place.
Last edited by Kamaze on 16 Sep 2007, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

I like the current warzone website a lot. It is clear, fast, easy to use, etc. And I'm talking about the forum, the wiki and the actual website here. The web admin did a really good job.
The only minor flaw: The layout could use some more references to the game in my opinion.
Kayiaxo
Trained
Trained

Post by Kayiaxo »

I agree with ratarf.
Forums and wiki are fast, but it doesn't feel like a wz forum really.
Credits to Kacen for making the image.
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

Eye candy is on second place, totally agree!

I like the clean forum layout, some icons can be changed to fit wz2100, *maybe* some colors. I don't like the homepage (although it's nicely clean!) The biggest problem seems to be the missing connections between main page and wiki. (needs 1 link)

I think it is very smart to have a link bar at the top like the forum does (hp, wiki, forum(, downloads))

I did the webdesign of freegamer.blogspot.com and the layout for freegamer.schattenkind.net will be ready on friday. I could start getting into your pages probably on  October 10.

I would start with the forums by adding icons and maybe some colors, then I'd make the main page fit and then the wiki. Somewhere in between we might need to find a new logical structure for the main page's and wiki's  (and forum's?) navigation links.

I don't prefer making all decisions and hope to hear ideas and ideas. I like criticism and if a web designer/amateur is here, I'd love to work with you. :)

Rman Virgil - Since you have an artistic mind, I would especially  often annoy you with "what do you think of this?" :)

Kamaze
1. What do you plan for the future (If it's no secret)
2. What is blocked by your laziness?
X. Please put at least the link to the forums in the http://wz2100.net/contribute page  ::)

PS: Non topic: Are the videos not ok to be released or is just the file format not ok for getting under gpl? Couldn't the videos be converted and then included?

PPS: If you have some spare time, help writing the wz2100 article on libregamewiki ;)
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

search this site for the threads on fmv's    - thanks.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

I think it is very smart to have a link bar at the top like the forum does (hp, wiki, forum(, downloads))
There are links on the top of the main page. See the screenshot below.
What do you plan for the future (If it's no secret)
I'll get back to this if the time is come :)
It makes no sense to discuss about this now.

And about the forums style,
i won't do anything at the forum at this time, because there are maybe some huge changes in future.
This can include a change of the forums software.
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

I see. (In contrary to the link bar, which I did not see.)

Do you know when 'the time' will have come? (This year/Next month?)

What forum software are you considering? (Do you know of Vanilla?)
Commander_Keyes
Trained
Trained

Post by Commander_Keyes »

/OffTopic:

Kamaze, do you actually speak german?
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Commander_Keyes wrote: Kamaze, do you actually speak german?
http://wz2100.net/team should answer your question.
Short, yes i do.

qubodup,
then, when the game evolves and this things make sense.
Nothing super-leet-aweasome is planned, but a nice integrated website.

Well, i know vanilla, devurandom and me played with it a bit a hour ago.
Somehow, it has something interesting. But I think this isn't the right thing for us, even if i somehow like it.
It appears confusing,... somehow... :) Currently the phpBB3 seems to be a good choice but i'll evaluate some others as well and maybe vanilla again.
Last edited by Kamaze on 18 Sep 2007, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

I agree, vanilla is confusing and nice. Maybe it can be de-confused  with a theme (I don't know..)

Well, I guess you know the problems with phpbb (popular -> spam orgy, bloat bloat bloat) Ok, don't listen to me, I simply just hate phpbb that's all :)

Another one to be evaluated (or rather laughed at - probably too minimalistic): http://fruitshow.sourceforge.net/