Wiki style guide.

Website issues & feedback. Constructive criticism is welcome.
(Guest posting is allowed under certain circumstances)
If you have a problem with certain individuals, then PM the Staff account.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Wiki style guide.

Post by Kamaze »

Well, we need a standard to keep a consistent wiki.
What i want to ask, is how we should organize the naming of pages.

1) "This_Is_A_Wiki_Page"
2) "This_is_a_wiki_page"
3) "This_is_a_Wiki_Page"

To keep the whole thing consistent.
I prefer the first and second one. Opinions?
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
kage
Regular
Regular

Re: Wiki style guide.

Post by kage »

i think the naming scheme itself should be completely consistent -- not all english speakers are especially fluent, and might not know which words to emphasize (capitalize).  and personally, i think if going to capitalize only the first letter, it might as well be all lower case, so i would suggest either:

1) "This_Is_A_Wiki_Page"
or (added)
4) "this_is_a_wiki_page"

though, at least the wikipedia instantiation of mediawiki has some limitations on page names with regards to capitalization... i don't know what limitations our own implementation has.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

kage wrote: 4) "this_is_a_wiki_page"
Is not possible (without modifying the code)
MediaWiki capitalizes the first letter.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Kamaze wrote:
kage wrote: 4) "this_is_a_wiki_page"
Is not possible (without modifying the code)
MediaWiki capitalizes the first letter.
I'm quite certain that it is a configuration setting (though it may be hidden somewhere), and AFAIK doesn't require code changes. (Take a look at wiktionary; the first letter isn't capitalized there.)

Either way;

I prefer "This_is_a_wiki_page" and "Versions_of_Warzone_a_realtime_strategy_game" (i.e. only capitalize the first letter and the first letter of names).
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

ThisIsAWikiPage?
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

DevUrandom wrote: ThisIsAWikiPage?
Honestly, I really don't like camel case. I prefer to have some spaces in between words, it makes them more readable IMO.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I vote for plain English, as far as possible. Anyway, I have some other questions: Is there an easier way to port stuff from the old wiki to the new? How are we going to ensure we port everything that is useful over? How can we download backups of the new wiki?
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
medavox
Rookie
Rookie

Post by medavox »

mediawiki does not distinguish cases on the first letter of the first word; every word after that is case sensitive AFAIK. I believe wikipedia gets round that problem (someone searching for 'john smith' when the article is located at 'John Smith'; only Smith or smith has any difference) with lots of silent redirects.
EDIT: capitalisation redirects seem to be automatic. Good idea.
Personally, not that I really have any weight of opinion here, but I would prefer 'Articles Like This'.

As for importing the old wiki into the new one, it doesn't look like there is much left in the old one which hasn't already been transferred, or that can't be transferred with an hour or two of effort.
One problem I had yesterday during transferrance of various pages, however, was that the new wiki doesn't allow file uploads: the tech tree images and the windows tutorials to add maps/mods/music both have illustrations, which I couldn't upload to the new wiki.
Per wrote:How can we download backups of the new wiki?
the special pages on the mediawiki allow for things like backup that you're talking about, and there's a page listing all articles on the old wiki(the only problem would be transferring useless pages); I just can't remember how many are admin-only commands.

also, on a side note, during adding links for orphaned pages yesterday, I accidentally created 2 bogus pages named something like The \\\\\\. Could someone with sysop privileges delete them for me?

medavox
Last edited by medavox on 10 Nov 2007, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

There are now backups of the wiki available.

A full backup (including old revisions):
http://wiki.wz2100.net/backup/wikidotwz ... ll.xml.bz2

A snapshot backup (without old revisions):
http://wiki.wz2100.net/backup/wikidotwz ... ot.xml.bz2

They are stored in the mediawiki xml export format, that means you can import them in any other mediawiki.
And they will be created once per week (Sunday morning) and do not contain uploaded files.
A package with the uploaded files will follow soon.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

i think the capitalization thing is a configuration issue, as well -- i remember, at one point, that wikipedia said mediawiki had fixed the limitation but that because of the number of extant pages in wp, they'd just keep that convention for most pages.

but with the capitalization thing in effect, i agree with kamaze: i personally prefer either 1 or 2