loading screen to low fps>?

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
Ziasod
Trained
Trained

loading screen to low fps>?

Post by Ziasod »

playing at 1680x1050 i guess. every time i go to a new map i get a strange light show. (maked a screenshot of loading, looks fine on the screenshot doh.)
black/white flashing rather strange, reminds me of my old crt with windows on low refresh rate.

it''s realy awsome that resolution can be picked ingame without working with -reso 1680x1050 or what ever it was :)

On this resolution you realy notice that the wheel tanks are gluiding instead of rolling. shadows they produce looks sweet ect.
terrain also shows clear squares. they don't join up correctly.

was sweet to see it in dutch doh, nice backgrounds also on start-up.

oh the screenshot of the blinking sizzle

ill give warzone another try.

oh btw i noticed warzone 2100 became a rather CPU hogger, managed to get up to 72 % and 40% of my 3,17 ghz core 2. while video card memory only stayed at 34,93. physical memory looks way to low also, with 4 gb i can't tell if the game runs or not. even my 1 internet window uses up more memory.
before i started the game is used more memory :P
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: loading screen to low fps>?

Post by Buginator »

Do you mean the background flickers?

How are you measuring your fps anyway?
Ziasod
Trained
Trained

Post by Ziasod »

yeah everything blinks accept the white status bars i guess. (it doesn't happen when i load games doh.)

rivaturner is a program that should be able to messure fps. http://downloads.guru3d.com/ , didn't had that section active doh. but the blinking reminds me of my old crt monitor and low refresh rates. (kinda the effect when filming the crt, but then on your monitor.)

maybe it's better to limit resolution to 1440 x 900 wide and 1200 x 1024 regulair :cool:

rivaturner works fine in game, but my refresh 5000 ms is set to high. i think the fps drop down to 30 fps when loading, hard to tell. ill try using faster refresh on riva.

even refresh rate 500 ms, don't realy do justice. should have set it to 100 ms. but the results are more clearly now. at this screenshot it has less then 12 fps.

E7200 running at 1333 mhz aka 3,17 ghz, p35 asus p5k se
7950 gt extreme, overclocked.
4 gb + 500 gb samsung spinpoint T166

Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

This is *only* on the loading screen?
What about in game? Is the game playable?
Ziasod
Trained
Trained

Post by Ziasod »

game is fine 59,06 to 60,10 fps. does hog up allot of cpu.

also when loading games it won't give a personal disco. tested lower resolution 1400x900 something and it still blinked. not sure about terrain squares looked maybe better, or i got ussed to it :)
Last edited by Ziasod on 24 Sep 2008, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

It is nothing unusual.

The reason is because the loading code (reading textures/maps/scripts off disk and parsing/uploading them) is done in the same thread as the OpenGL drawing/buffer swapping. So if loading any one 'item' takes longer than ~1/60'th of a second then a frame will be dropped.

The only way to fix this would be to run the loading code in a separate thread — getting it to signal the main drawing thread to update the progress-bar status.

Regards, Freddie.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

EvilGuru wrote:It is nothing unusual.

The reason is because the loading code (reading textures/maps/scripts off disk and parsing/uploading them) is done in the same thread as the OpenGL drawing/buffer swapping. So if loading any one 'item' takes longer than ~1/60'th of a second then a frame will be dropped.

The only way to fix this would be to run the loading code in a separate thread — getting it to signal the main drawing thread to update the progress-bar status.

Regards, Freddie.
Instead of dropping frames, can't we just not update the screen?
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Nope. Would have to be (realistically) in a different thread. We use library (IO) functions to load data, which may well take longer than a single frame. I am sceptical about the use of signals to fix this problem.

To update the screen we need to swap the buffers — which we can't do if the main thread is in another library functions.

Regards, Freddie.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

EvilGuru wrote:Nope. Would have to be (realistically) in a different thread. We use library (IO) functions to load data, which may well take longer than a single frame. I am sceptical about the use of signals to fix this problem.

To update the screen we need to swap the buffers — which we can't do if the main thread is in another library functions.

Regards, Freddie.
I mean, if we don't swap the buffer, doesn't that mean the buffer should stay on the screen, instead of turning black, causing flicker?
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Zarel wrote:
EvilGuru wrote:Nope. Would have to be (realistically) in a different thread. We use library (IO) functions to load data, which may well take longer than a single frame. I am sceptical about the use of signals to fix this problem.

Regards, Freddie.
I mean, if we don't swap the buffer, doesn't that mean the buffer should stay on the screen, instead of turning black, causing flicker?
That is left up to your OpenGL implementation.

If it were flickering at high FPS I would guess that our drawing code for the loading screen was bad — since that doesn't seem to be the case — and because some have it some don't — I am inclined to conclude it is not directly down to us. (Although nevertheless could be.)

Regards, Freddie.