Mac users, where are you guys?

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Mac users, where are you guys?

Post by Buginator »

I am not sure why we don't have many mac users, but we really need to test the netcode, and make sure it is working on all the platforms that we support.

We have tested windows & linux, but have yet to find mac people that can test along with us.

For the lack of mac users, is it because nobody knows that this version of warzone works for that platform, or is it because it is difficult to get a working copy or just what exactly?

Is it possible to get the game in Apple's repository (if they have such a thing), or get the word out to more mac people somehow?

That was/is one of the goals for the 2.1 beta in the first place.
and it ends here.
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Re: MAC users, where are you guys?

Post by lowededwookie »

Hey, I'm going to say it's because of difficulty getting a working copy.

I so want to play this version but I can't on account of it refusing to compile despite that I appear to have all of the dependencies. I kind of gave up, hoping that someone would have released a Mac compatible binary by now but nothing.

If you can tell me where I can get a copy then I'm more than willing to act as beta tester. In the meantime I'll try building again and hopefully it won't fail on the OpenGL stuff.

BTW, my system is a 1.66GHz Intel Mac Mini with 2Gb RAM running Leopard.
twilight
Trained
Trained

Post by twilight »

Hey there,

I am somewhat a Computer-Enthusiast an Network-Admin myself.
I use Mac, Linux and Windows. Where as my most prefered
system due to useability, stability and so on is my Mac!!

But as the guy before me pointed out: I can't find a recent
mac-build.

If someone would point me to a guide or would guide me through
the process, I would be more than happy to build it! Or are there
builds out there?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

On the mailinglist Ari Johnson gave this snippet some time ago:

Code: Select all

svn co svn://url/ warzone
cd warzone/macosx
xcodebuild
open build/Debug/Warzone.app
I dont know if that is all correct and works, it's just what he said.

But he also said:
Right now, trunk won't build because Warzone suddenly requires a newer version of Bison than OSX has [...]
So I assume you have to hope and just try it, whether 2.1_beta2 compiles for you like this or not.
iMac
Trained
Trained

Post by iMac »

Well, I'm here.

I went to the compile guide in the wiki to give it a try & didn't see any listings for Mac OSX. If there is a list of what I need to compile WZ, plus a step by step "how-to", I would give it a shot. Though I have to admit, I have never done this before.

I also searched the forums & found were people where having problems compiling the OSX version. I don't know if they ever got resolved though.

Topics found by searching "compile mac"
?topic=1028.0
?topic=1401.0
?topic=1672.msg16194#msg16194
?topic=1501.0
?topic=661.0
?topic=1664.0

I guess I'm like some of the others here, just waiting for a working copy to beta test with.

I run with the latest updates, OSX 10.4.11, 2.1GHz G5-PPC, 2.5 gigs ram, ATI X600 XT 128mb
"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
"En Vino Veritas"
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Post by lowededwookie »

I tried once again to build and once again it fails to build because of QuesoGLC.

Is there anyway that Warzone can be compiled on a Mac without QuesoGLC to work?
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

lowededwookie wrote: I tried once again to build and once again it fails to build because of QuesoGLC.

Is there anyway that Warzone can be compiled on a Mac without QuesoGLC to work?
Whats the problem with QuesoGLC on mac? According to the QuesoGLC homepage QuesoGLC compiles successfully on mac, so just get the source for QuesoGLC, compile it, then compile Warzone2100. Where is the problem?
shishkebab
Trained
Trained

Post by shishkebab »

Hi! I'd love to act as a beta tester, but as everyone else says, the build fails with QuesoGLC. I get
    /bin/sh -c /Users/julian/Desktop/warzone2100-2.1_beta2/macosx/build/Warzone.build/Release/QuesoGLC.build/Script-0223BBDD0CFE3E290056EF85.sh
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svnroot/quesoglc/!svn/bc/798/branches/release-0.7.0/quesoglc'
svn: '/svnroot/quesoglc/!svn/bc/798/branches/release-0.7.0/quesoglc' path not found
** BUILD FAILED **
every time I try to build it. I tried compiling QuesoGLC but it did not change anything.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

shishkebab wrote: Hi! I'd love to act as a beta tester, but as everyone else says, the build fails with QuesoGLC. I get every time I try to build it. I tried compiling QuesoGLC but it did not change anything.
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svnroot/quesoglc/!svn/bc/798/branches/release-0.7.0/quesoglc'
svn: '/svnroot/quesoglc/!svn/bc/798/branches/release-0.7.0/quesoglc' path not found
Path not found?
Can't you just download the source yourself, and point xcode to that directory? 
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=53918
and it ends here.
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

shishkebab wrote:/bin/sh -c /Users/julian/Desktop/warzone2100-2.1_beta2/macosx/build/Warzone.build/Release/QuesoGLC.build/Script-0223BBDD0CFE3E290056EF85.sh
** BUILD FAILED **
hmm just did a check and the "PATH NOT FOUND" is because the branches/release-0.7.0 directory does not exist. There is however a branches/release-0.7 directory.

I guess either someone set the wrong path, or it has been removed/renamed since build scripts for mac were last updated.
As the "branches" directory in a subversion project may (by its nature) change without notice, would it not be better to give it a more permanent link?
Such as to either : edit:updated url for tagged release.
Last edited by Verminus on 17 May 2008, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

Ok, I think I've located and fixed the problem, but not having a mac I cant be sure. ::)
I've attached an updated 'project.pbxproj' file taken from the latest svn r5130.
It replaces the one in the 'macosx/Warzone.xcodeproj' folder in the warzone source directory.

It now points to the 'tags/v0_7_1/quesoglc' directory and r762 of the quesoglc svn repository.

if some kindly mac user could test this, and report back then the devs could (assuming it works) implement this fix into the warzone svn at their earliest convenience.  ;D

Edit-19/05/08: As DevUrandom has put my 'fix' into trunk already, I've removed the file from here to avoid unnecessary confusion and work. I still have it though so PM me if you really want it.
Last edited by Verminus on 19 May 2008, 06:44, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

There is http://downloads.sourceforge.net/source ... .1.tar.bz2 as well.

Commited your file in r5133 to trunk, so soon we will know whether it works or not. ;)
Verminus
Trained
Trained

Post by Verminus »

DevUrandom wrote: There is http://downloads.sourceforge.net/source ... .1.tar.bz2 as well.

Commited your file in r5133 to trunk, so soon we will know whether it works or not. ;)
Cool. Hopefully it will work and proper testing on mac can begin.
shishkebab
Trained
Trained

Post by shishkebab »

Buginator wrote: Is it possible to get the game in Apple's repository (if they have such a thing), or get the word out to more mac people somehow?
I was looking around at the ADC website and I came across (here: developer.apple.com/business/) where you can submit your application to be included in the apple.com/downloads/ page. I think you have to have an Apple Developer Connection account though, but those are not hard to make.
Buginator wrote: Path not found?
Can't you just download the source yourself, and point xcode to that directory? 
Sorry, but I have no idea how to do that. (no programming skills at all)
lowededwookie
Trained
Trained

Post by lowededwookie »

I tried manually building QuesoGLC from the Queso site and it keeps failing to build because it can't find OpenGL in Mac OS X and the OpenGL site doesn't have any Mac OS X downloads because apparently it's built into Mac OS X.

Does the updated XCode project file fix this by adding a couple of paths to Mac OS X or how does it work?

I'll try this updated project tonight though because I'm keen on getting this building.