Mac users, where are you guys?

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: MAC users, where are you guys?

Post by Zarel »

I have Leopard, but not much idea of how to build Warzone. Anyone want to, um, give me step-by-step instructions?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

I *think* all you have to do is get the xcode development system downloaded, and load up the xcode project file.
http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/

sidenote, we **still** haven't tested the networking code with mac users. :(

We are looking to test the game with at least 2 people for every platform we support, and we have lots of linux, 1 or 2 windows, and 0 mac people.

I dunno what to do about testing the netcode with mac people. I guess we can *hope* it works?

Is there a time frame some of you can come on IRC, and we can all test a game together?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Buginator wrote:I *think* all you have to do is get the xcode development system downloaded, and load up the xcode project file.
http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/

sidenote, we **still** haven't tested the networking code with mac users. :(

We are looking to test the game with at least 2 people for every platform we support, and we have lots of linux, 1 or 2 windows, and 0 mac people.

I dunno what to do about testing the netcode with mac people. I guess we can *hope* it works?

Is there a time frame some of you can come on IRC, and we can all test a game together?
I can definitely test if given a binary. I might be figure out how to compile it, but it's probably better that someone gives me a binary, anyway, for consistency purposes.

My time is flexible, so whenever anyone else has time, I can make time. I'm on #warzone2100 on Freenode sometimes, but no one really talks there. Is there a different IRC network/channel most people are on?

Where do I get the xcode project file?
twilight
Trained
Trained

Post by twilight »

I've got a wide timeframe, too. But if I compile the game myself,
isn't there the possible error that someone else has a different
level of development for the game?

I mean, whenever I try to view the lobby in the Internet, I see
0 / zero games, so, I guess I can't see all those games that are
out there?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Usually, we all sync up (svn up) before we test a game.

For the lobby, that is because a) hardly anyone plays, b) when they do, the game is only up for a very short period of time.
Most of the time, we just give the IP of the hoster, and then we all join.

Yeah, #warzone2100 is pretty quiet, but when we are all around, that is the best place to catch most of us currently.
Usually, the best time is on Saturday or Sunday afternoon, but that is a bit of a problem, since we are all scattered all around the globe, so that is +-6 hours or so depending on your location.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Well, trying to compile Warzone in OSX using the QuesoGLC in the link, it stops at

Code: Select all

CompileC build/Warzone.build/Release/QuesoGLC.build/Objects-normal/i386/glew.o /Users/zarel/Downloads/warzone/macosx/external/quesoglc/src/glew.c normal i386 c com.apple.compilers.gcc.4_0
    cd /Users/zarel/Downloads/warzone/macosx
    /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -x c -arch i386 -pipe -std=gnu99 -Wno-trigraphs -fpascal-strings -fasm-blocks -Os -DSIZEOF_INT=4 -DSIZEOF_SHORT=2 -DQUESOGLC_VERSION="0.6.5" -DGLEW_DISABLE_VBOS -DGLEW_MX -D__MACOSX__ -fmessage-length=0 -ftree-vectorize -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -I/Users/zarel/Downloads/warzone/macosx/build/Warzone.build/Release/QuesoGLC.build/QuesoGLC.hmap -F/Users/zarel/Downloads/warzone/macosx/build/Release -F/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks -F/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks -I/Users/zarel/Downloads/warzone/macosx/build/Release/include -Iexternal/quesoglc/src -Iexternal/quesoglc/include -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/include/freetype2 -I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/usr/X11R6/include -I/Users/zarel/Downloads/warzone/macosx/build/Warzone.build/Release/QuesoGLC.build/DerivedSources -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -include /Library/Caches/com.apple.Xcode.501/SharedPrecompiledHeaders/Carbon-byrmtubigyqrceddahrrfozatdpu/Carbon.h -c /Users/zarel/Downloads/warzone/macosx/external/quesoglc/src/glew.c -o /Users/zarel/Downloads/warzone/macosx/build/Warzone.build/Release/QuesoGLC.build/Objects-normal/i386/glew.o
** BUILD FAILED **
Help? I'm so bad at this kind of thing.
shishkebab
Trained
Trained

Post by shishkebab »

Zarel wrote:Help? I'm so bad at this kind of thing.
We now have an excellent wiki page on this subject: http://wiki.wz2100.net/Mac_OS_X_Compile_Guide_%282.1%29, it solved all the problems I had with compiling warzone as I am not very good at coding either (getting better :) ).

Hope this helps!

Shishkebab

EDIT: I think all of the problems with QuesoGLC were resolved with updated source code. Try retrieving it again and see what happens.
twilight
Trained
Trained

Post by twilight »

I am online now on #warzone2100 on freenode.

waiting for some of you guys to appear. Anyway, NOW I will get breakfast, but you
could write a time there or just come a little later. Will stay there for the next, ahm...
6 hours or so, so maybe the is a chance to test mac-net-code.

Cheers
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

twilight wrote:I am online now on #warzone2100 on freenode.

waiting for some of you guys to appear. Anyway, NOW I will get breakfast, but you
could write a time there or just come a little later. Will stay there for the next, ahm...
6 hours or so, so maybe the is a chance to test mac-net-code.

Cheers
Sorry, looks like we missed each other by a few hours. :(

My hours are a bit wacky right now, so I am not 100% sure what times I will be available. I try to stop in the channel when I get some free time though.
tom555
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tom555 »

I too tried to build it, with xcode build.

Fetching http://rpm.net.in/mirror/rpm-4.4.x/popt-1.10.4.tar.gz

curl: (7) couldn't connect to host
Unable to fetch http://rpm.net.in/mirror/rpm-4.4.x/popt-1.10.4.tar.gz

Looks like that host is down.
Baum
Trained
Trained

Post by Baum »

tom555: The popt mirror it is trying to download from is broken but a fix was committed a few weeks ago. Make sure you have the latest revision (you shouldn't have a problem if it is but the fix might not have been backported to the 2.1 branch).

The QuesoGLC problems should also be fixed in the latest revisions (as Shishkebab said).

Right now the only thing you should need to compile Warzone is a newer version of Bison. See http://wiki.wz2100.net/Mac_OS_X_Compile_Guide_%282.1%29 . The page is a bit dated but should help in this regard. Also, I'm hoping this step will become obsolete here pretty soon so if you feel like waiting a few days, you might not even need to muck around with the Bison stuff.

I'm also hoping for some OS X binaries in the near future...
tom555
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tom555 »

I already tried the latest trunk revision. With this version, i don't have the problems with popt. But i get the following problem, while compiling:

Error validating server certificate for 'https://quesoglc.svn.sourceforge.net:443':
- The certificate is not issued by a trusted authority. Use the
fingerprint to validate the certificate manually!
Certificate information:
- Hostname: *.svn.sourceforge.net
- Valid: from Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:15:07 GMT until Mon, 08 Dec 2008 14:15:07 GMT
- Issuer: Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, Equifax, US
- Fingerprint: fb:75:6c:40:58:ae:21:8c:63:dd:1b:7b:6a:7d:bb:8c:74:36:e7:8a

It says i should validate the certificate manualy. But how do i do that ? The complete build process hangs at this position and the only thing i can do is to interrupt it by pressing CTRL+c.

Perhaps i have the time next week, to install queso manualy, but i have lot of work the most time. I hope that this will be fixed in one of the next revisions. Without this problem, the build script which is supplied by you guys is the best one i ever saw.
twilight
Trained
Trained

Post by twilight »

you can just press "p" here, which will accept the certificate permanently.

The text where it says "decline" "accept" or "permanent" is hidden and will become
visible, once you made your choice.

I got stuck there at first, too ;-)
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Hopefully we will be able to move to plain old tarballs at some point in the future (namely when the newest release tarball is based off of a functioning svn revision).

Regards, Freddie.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

twilight wrote:you can just press "p" here, which will accept the certificate permanently.

The text where it says "decline" "accept" or "permanent" is hidden and will become
visible, once you made your choice.

I got stuck there at first, too ;-)
Pressing "p" doesn't do anything when I do it...