A little something positive...

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
GiGaBaNE
Trained
Trained

Re: A little something positive...

Post by GiGaBaNE »

Do we have a known bug section for this?  i dont wanna start spamming things you already know about
Version: master-20110320 QT
VGA:Nvidia GeForce GT 220
Driver in use: 6.14.12.6658
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4200+
RAM: 2 x DDR-II 1GB corsair
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

EvilGuru wrote: We use TCP which guarantees that all packets will arrive and arrive in order. Therefore any problems with the netcode are not due to packet loss.
i'm not so sure the protocol guarantees in-order receipt of the packets -- it gives each packet an ISN, but afaik, it's up to the client to order them before processing.  as long as you didn't roll your own tcp library (and who would besides pen testers?), then yeah, none of that would apply, and packet loss wouldn't cause any issues if the latency didn't get into the 10s of seconds (or several more, depending on what kind of resyncing stuff the netcode has).
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

TCP is a streaming protocol, not a packet protocol. We put our own packet protocol on top of TCP to make sure our packets arrive in-order and without error.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Per wrote: TCP is a streaming protocol, not a packet protocol. We put our own packet protocol on top of TCP to make sure our packets arrive in-order and without error.
What you're saying doesn't make sense to me.  Are you not using TCP/IP for your network communication?  TCP (as EG said) guarantees that IP packets arrive in order.

I think what you're referring to are Packets of Warzone data from the Application Layer, which you really should distinguish from IP (Network Layer) packets, since Warzone packets (depending on their size) will likely be split up across several IP packets.
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
A4tech
Trained
Trained

Post by A4tech »

Huge off topic guys  ;) . Not discus about WZ problems!