What do you find annoying about the BETA ?

Warzone 2.1.x series. (Unsupported--read only!)
Buginator
Professional
Professional

What do you find annoying about the BETA ?

Post by Buginator »

I am not talking about crashes, even though those ARE annoying( ::)), so don't post about crashes here.  Use the bug tracker for that.
This is also not the place to talk about font issues--that has its own thread(s) about this.

This is mostly gameplay/mechanics/UI changes/balance (if you notice some unit way too strong/weak)/whatever else that can be tweaked/fixed in the next beta release of the game...

The floor is yours.  :)
Last edited by DevUrandom on 18 Mar 2008, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
and it ends here.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: What do you find annoying about the BETA ?

Post by Buginator »

Here are some that are done, suffering bit rot waiting on tracker for awhile now.  Unknown if people want these fixes/changes or not.

Time compression fixes --fixes it so you can't screw up the game as bad as you can now, but leaves ones we have now in debug mode.

Factory output fixes --Like for example, when you make units in the factory, in the left hand menu you see the # of units that you want to produce.  When you make a unit, that count still is the same in the left hand menu, but it is correct in the lower middle menu.  This also prevents you from adding anymore units higher than 9, if you already created 5, it still is at 9.

Colored cursors?  :-X  ::)  It defaults to hardware (normal) cursors, and users can turn on software (colored) cursors.

save game sorting  (forgot who requested this?)--it is sorted from most recent to least now.

FMV playback code -- chicken & egg issue.  ::)

And I bet others I have missed, but that is my short list ;)
and it ends here.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

I offer to change config folder to ingame folder exemple: c:\games\Warzone2100_wrp\settings\

if game installed to c:\games\Warzone2100_wrp

Because First time it was in Registr, than in "My Documents" - which was not so comfortable. Now its .. somewhere in ....the ass of C:\Documents and Settings\  .  I think :Privet" user dont even know where those saves & setting are.

So plz keep an eye on my post.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Terminator wrote: I offer to change config folder to ingame folder exemple: c:\games\Warzone2100_wrp\settings\

if game installed to c:\games\Warzone2100_wrp

Because First time it was in Registr, than in "My Documents" - which was not so comfortable. Now its .. somewhere in ....the ass of C:\Documents and Settings\  .  I think :Privet" user dont even know where those saves & setting are.

So plz keep an eye on my post.
Yes, I think this is annoying also.
Problem here is that MS wants it in a specific place, so the project is following MS's rules.

While we do have the --configdir option to change to the directory that you want, I think it would be better  to save the config directory that *we* want in the config file (after it is first created).  Just hate doing platform specific stuff, since linux (& mac?) guys have it always in ~/.warzone2100-2.1 windows users have it in ... whatever MS wants.  ::)

This isn't perfect though, in that the uninstaller will have no idea that we moved the directory, so that may be a issue.
Perhaps query the user where they want their config directory in the installer?  :-\
and it ends here.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

btw I dont even know about "--configdir" parametr, till today. About Where ahould be config folder: May be somehow you can put it in windows folder ( exemple: "c:\windows\wz_settings\ " ) ? It will not be depended from Users Setting & who is playing, It always will be in oe place for all.(or as I offer befor in game installed folder would be fine too)

& I just Remember one thing: MP game mode options, there are only two in 2.1 : unknown "Mayhem" & Skirmish, Why I'm lloking on this Question again because this 2 mode exclude opportunity to play humans vs. humans in teams, > skirmish mode require at least one BOT in game, so as Mayhem  is Fully FreeFroAll type game which disable Allieces. I thing you (devs) should bring back old modes & just add new option (locked Teams) where its neccesary. IMHO.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Terminator wrote: btw I dont even know about "--configdir" parametr, till today. About Where ahould be config folder: May be somehow you can put it in windows folder ( exemple: "c:\windows\wz_settings\ " ) ? It will not be depended from Users Setting & who is playing, It always will be in oe place for all.(or as I offer befor in game installed folder would be fine too)
I don't think that will work, since you can have multiple users on the same system, and maybe they don't want to use the same config options as you.
& I just Remember one thing: MP game mode options, there are only two in 2.1 : unknown "Mayhem" & Skirmish, Why I'm lloking on this Question again because this 2 mode exclude opportunity to play humans vs. humans in teams, > skirmish mode require at least one BOT in game, so as Mayhem  is Fully FreeFroAll type game which disable Allieces. I thing you (devs) should bring back old modes & just add new option (locked Teams) where its neccesary. IMHO.
I wasn't aware of this.
and it ends here.
bigape
New user

Post by bigape »

I find it a minor annoyance that I cannot enable cheats in this version.

Since the AI units appear stronger than in previous releases, I wanted to use the "double up" and "time toggle" cheats (really the only cheats I ever use), but no cheats appear to work in this beta.

While this doesn't stop me from playing the game, it is rather annoying to constantly lose experienced commanders.
A4tech
Trained
Trained

Post by A4tech »

Great! Anti-cheat version  ;D .
So, I noticed that "Mini-pod" rocket tank is TO strong. 3 tanks in about 6 seconds anihilate power generator (with module).
Flamers are VERY fast on reloading (HELL!).
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Yeah, and light body mini-pods can kill a MG medium body very easily... Also I found out that Scavangers infartry are more powerful than they was (see first campaign mission), they are almost annoying
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

doom3r wrote: Yeah, and light body mini-pods can kill a MG medium body very easily... Also I found out that Scavangers infartry are more powerful than they was (see first campaign mission), they are almost annoying
That is because mini-pods is an anti-tank weapon and as such gets a bonus against tanks.

It is no so much a case of them being too strong but your strategy being ineffective against them. In the words of Charles Darwin: "Survival is ultimately dependent on the ability to change and evolve" or put more succinctly: adapt or die. Your choice.

Cyborgs have little trouble getting rid of mini-pods, where their poor accuracy and lack of a bonus against infantry makes it possible to dispatch them with ease.

Regards, Freddie.
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

That is because mini-pods is an anti-tank weapon and as such gets a bonus against tanks.

It is no so much a case of them being too strong but your strategy being ineffective against them. In the words of Charles Darwin: "Survival is ultimately dependent on the ability to change and evolve" or put more succinctly: adapt or die. Your choice.
That's why they seem overpowered. in the await of Lancers, they become the best weapon in T1. MGs become useless, like, in part, cannons and medium bodies, against mass-produced viper minipods. Six shots can take down a Cobra. Shortly, Mini-pods are now, IMO, a faster way to get an overall strong turret like Lancer. This would make other wepons useless, other than cyborgs, as you said... At least, that's what I'm thinking.
In the end, I would power up mini-pods to make them useful, but not too much as they are in 2.1 beta.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

doom3r wrote: That's why they seem overpowered. in the await of Lancers, they become the best weapon in T1. MGs become useless, like, in part, cannons and medium bodies, against mass-produced viper minipods. Six shots can take down a Cobra. Shortly, Mini-pods are now, IMO, a faster way to get an overall strong turret like Lancer. This would make other wepons useless, other than cyborgs, as you said... At least, that's what I'm thinking.
In the end, I would power up mini-pods to make them useful, but not too much as they are in 2.1 beta.
MGs are anti-infantry, expecting them to go anything much against a tracked tank is unrealistic. Cannons have also been beefed up a bit in 2.1, so you can use them against mini-pods.

Viper mini-pod weapons are a bit like viper lancer weapons, a cheap thrill. Cyborgs will eat them alive. The lack of amour viper-derived units have makes it possible to cyborg swarm them.

A weapon is only over-powered if there is no reasonable and practical strategy for countering it. For mini-pods there are at least two.

MG based weapons still have a use -- what else are you going to use to deal with those pesky cyborgs!?!

Try changing your tactics.

Regards, Freddie.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

doom3r, try to experiment with new weapons and technologies, the weapons and other technologies, that have never been used before, are more usefull now.

Btw Light cannon, as all other cannons, are pretty decent now too. You can get LC pretty fast. Some additional upgrades and you have another counter for mini-pods.
?topic=1617.0
ouch
Trained
Trained

Post by ouch »

yeah, mini pods are fine.

but what bothers me about the beta (and the original) is the way sensor turrets are handled on units. CB's seem better in that they auto target when they see some artillery fire. Regular ones however do not... they just sit there getting pelted and wont target enemies in range unless you do it yourself... to me that is sooo un-warzone 2100... One of the defining features of warzone when it came out (and still today to some extent) is that the unit ai is smart enough run over troops, repair stuff near them, combine fire on one target, etc...

I mean come on, sensor turret equiped units have fire at will, hold fire, return fire buttons why not use them to toggle the behavior to what you want?

Another is (again from the original and present version) the bugged oil derrick building code... ok, say you have 2 AI teams, one is closer to an oil deposit than the other. if they send trucks out to build on that deposit at the same time the closer one gets there first and starts to build. Now a couple of "bugged situations" can occur here.

First case is that if the truck that's building is destroyed and the derick is partially finished then the other teams truck gets there and finishes it for the other team... The truck usually pauses a little bit after it finishes as if it's wondering "WTF?" and then moves on to the next one... lol (I know it's just calculateing it's next path but still...)

The other is if both the first teams truck and the derick gets destroyed, the other teams truck will build it's derick on the burning oil deposit...
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

my annoyances with the beta so far????

Autorepair.. once the savior tech research is now the black ball for your vehicles... anything over medium damage sits there even int eh middle of combat and tries to regenerate while everything keeps shooting it and it REFUSES to fire back.. even when target clicking.. UNLESS you give it a move order THEN it starts to fire again.. till it stops and tries to repair again. 

i believe that it should focus on self repair ONLY when theres no target in range of its weapons.. then it focuses on repairs.
----

Dual turrets..  still lots of flaws here. .one the update states theres the ability for mlti turrets on vehicles AND structures.. someone elaborate on t hat as hard points are the only structures wiht turrets and none can have multi turrets on them unless someone gave a secret fix to the fortresses i dont know about.

and ive noticed a FATAL flaw in the vehicle ones where very often the primary turrent has a very difficult tine trackign and attacking things while the secondary turret never seems to miss a shot...
even more so.. i tried an AA/cannon combo.. leaving a few vehicles able to defend itself agsint ground units and air units.. but the AA guns NEVER fired.. and NEVER tracked.. they stayed in thier neutral direction for the vehicles life no matter how close i got to vtols..
------

im also noticing EXTENSIVE problems with the cursors in relation to the build menu...  ill tell a truck to build a series of structures wiht the Shift click method.. then select another truck.. and for some reason the build men will still be stuck on the first trucks build orders even though a new truck is selected.. and pressing any thing in the build menu for the new truck will cancel out the last trucks orders...  ive found that right clicking int e open area to FULLY deselect all units before then clicking another unit will clear this problem out but when in the heat of battle thats an extra and unnesecary step that wasent in previos versions.
------

this is it for now.. only played it once.. bout to play it again.
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-