installing on 64-bit linux (failing with autopackage and compiling)

Our old place to report Bugs, it's not used anymore. To report bugs, please read this topic.
CattyNebulart
New user

Re: installing on 64-bit linux (failing with autopackage and compiling)

Post by CattyNebulart »

the file command claims it's a 64 bit library ("ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped"), which I assume warzone can link to... this should work right?

I changed the prefix to /usr instead of /usr/local for both physfs and warzone, because otherwise it could not find the sdl libraries, ans most other games are installed there too instead of in local, but that shouldn't affect anything right?
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

CattyNebulart wrote:the file command claims it's a 64 bit library ("ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), not stripped"), which I assume warzone can link to... this should work right?
Er, just noticed: Are you someone else? What's your system configuration then?
I changed the prefix to /usr instead of /usr/local for both physfs and warzone, because otherwise it could not find the sdl libraries, ans most other games are installed there too instead of in local, but that shouldn't affect anything right?
Except messing up your package management, and that makes finding bugs more difficult...
We want information... information... information.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

He is not trying to link 32bit libs into a 64bit binary. That might even work...
He is trying to link 64bit libs into a 32bit binary. Warzone 2.0 can only compiled in 32bit mode, but his PhysFS is compiled for 64bit. The only way around this is to get a 32bit PhysFS. This in turn will need other 32bit libraries...
CattyNebulart
New user

Post by CattyNebulart »

ok after a bit of trying and trying to read all the fine manuals I am hopelessly confused. To compile Physfs in 32 bit mode all I should need to do is specify "--target=i486" or some variant of that, right?so why does that command still produce 64 bit libraries (acording to the 'file' command at least.) Is there a simple explanation of how to install warzone on 64 bit ubuntu somewhere like I have read for gentoo? Or am I at least on the right track?

For that matter why can't warzone be compiled in 64 bit mode? (Just curious, don't mean to sound accusing.)
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

--target=i486? Never heard of that... You probably mean this is a configure switch? There is no such target I know of. Afaik configure lets you choose a compiler toolchain through this switch, not an architecture.
You need to compile PhysFS with CFLAGS=-m32, it doesn't matter what architecture you select.
Eg. compile PhysFS like this: "./configure CFLAGS=-m32 && make". At least I think this should work, I did not test it.

You can't compile Warzone 2.0 in 64bit mode, because the programmers at that time did not think that sometime in the future the size of an integer could be different from the size of a pointer. So they stored pointer values in integer variables, which results in truncated pointers (in 64bit mode pointers can have a value of up to 2^64, while a integer is only 32 bit and thus can only store numbers up to 2^32). Maybe this is not the only problem in 2.0, but probably the main problem.
Current SVN trunk can be compiled and run in 64bit mode, thought it might crash because it is a development version.
CattyNebulart
New user

Post by CattyNebulart »

well after poking around at it again a few times I think I'll just wait until a 64 bit version comes out. If the Current SVN supports it does that mean that 2.0.6 supports 64 bit or that 2.0.7 will?
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Neither 2.0.6 nor any 2.0 will support 64bit natively. The amount of code changes that might have lead to WZ not crashing instantly are simply to big to be backported to the 2.0 branch.
2.1 will, but till we'll release it there will be several months passing by.