"War School"-A Map/Mod W.I.P.-locked sticky

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Re: "War School" - A Map / Mod W.I.P.

Post by new paradigm leader »

oooh i look forwards still to playing it :)
maybe the inclusion of a Nexus exploratory team and a few new paradigm and collective shards milling around would add to the tale a bit
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

new paradigm leader wrote:oooh i look forwards still to playing it :)
maybe the inclusion of a Nexus exploratory team and a few new paradigm and collective shards milling around would add to the tale a bit
That would be cool. Just don't know how much I can take on as this project is already quite complicated and ambitious.... perhaps overly so. O_o

I've also decided to build the Central Citadel, occupied by the New Faction CAM A.I. presence which I have yet to dub with a final name (working name being "Mangodai"), using Xanax's new body and structure GFX art .

You can see some samples of XANAX's new art I'll be using here:

New Body & Struct Set by XANAX

Regards, Whip :)
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

on this why do you not make them Nexus? as lets face it a program that powerful would be encrypted in most systems on the planet (Where is your McAfee now FOOLS!!! hahahahahahaha!!!!!) and as a result this could just be another in a long line of Nexus ploys to destroy all that stands against it
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

only this time both NP and Collective treat Nexus as an enemy
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

My post to the XANAX thread belongs here even more...

new paradigm leader wrote:well on the subject of that would it not be much more logical to assume that they would be able to build bases with decent wall esp considering how bizarrely intact cities are at that point so its not at all stupid to assume that hidden away is a base of scavs that make the project look weak
whippersnapper wrote:
Sure, why not.

This raises an other crux issue for me.

Pumpkin was never specific in their back story as to what TYPES of Nuke Warheads were involved in the holocaust - there are many types, even now, and each would have a different consequence to the ecology, to urban centers, to infrastructure, etcetera, etc...

For example - "Hydrogen" thermonuclear has quite different results-effects than "Salted Cobalt" or a "Neutron" device or a "Oralloy - Alarm Clock/Sloika" warhead... and so on...

Most WZ fans act as if they know what exactly precipitated the Post Nuke Winter holocaust in the WZ 2100 back story as far as war head types but that's pure bull chit because it is never specified and like I said, different war head types would yield very different consequences.

This is the extent of the Pumpkin back story on this aspect of the nukes involved:

Quote Pumpkin Time-line: - 2085: During routine testing the N.A.S.D.A. system malfunctions and launches nuclear strikes against all major cities in the world. The target countries respond with nuclear counter strikes. N.A.S.D.A. fails to defend against incoming missiles.(end quote)

See what I mean ? The lack of warhead specificity leads to great flexibility in extrapolating global outcomes...

In fact..... I have chosen a preponderance of a certain warhead type to make my case for a much more expansive interpretation than generally put forth for the nature of the Post Collapse world by the most vocal fans of the game. I have also chosen to interpret the "2085 N.A.S.D.A. failure" as what is called a "False Flag Event"... I will say no more on that score. ;)

Regards, whip :ninja:
This post as well belongs here:
XANAX wrote:
hahaha now I'm making scavenger modern military vehicles xD

hey what do you think, a excavator gone tank

whippersnapper wrote:
Excellent. All for exploring these possibilities and would use what you come up with I'm certain. :)

There's huge potential here for a major leap forward in the way of creating at least a Faction of Scavs who specialize in Units that nobody has yet explored and that makes total sense to me.

The presence of what's called "Heavy Equipment" in the construction industry would be as omnipresent in a post holocaust landscape as Buses and Jeeps (all over the USA and planet for that matter.... ditto "Cargo Containers" which could be used to build Scav Fortifications instead of those stupid flimsy walls... in essence, industrial strength and portable Scav Lego building blocks) but this Heavy Equipment would have the added benefit of already being heavily armored, much more rugged, able to deal with cross-country, road less, terrain and also far more fun and interesting than civilian vehicles, IMHO. Heck a bulldozer like the one below could have it's wheels armor plated, have multiple-weapon mounts and ram right through fully upgraded Crete walls like a hot knife through butter.

And various constructs made out of Cargo Containers including a vehicle..

An actual city made out of Cargo Containers.....Tell me that Scavs would not utilize the millions of these all over planet as "raw material" to make stuff out of at least as much as is done today...

The usual CC yard most have at least a passing familiarity with - these are omnipresent all over the planet... not just coastal and waterways but inland away from water...being transported by 18 wheelers and rail..

Regards, whip :cool:

These postings too on Flying Constructors and Jump Borgs - both of which I'm now seriously considering putting into War School..
fisk0 wrote:there are several mods that enable the VTOL truck, the reason it isn't in the original game and standard mods is iirc because there are balance issues. And it looks horrible with the default Truck turret. :)
whippersnapper wrote:
Oh, I don't know about any of that, Fisk0. O_o

On a Panther body the Flying Truck looks rather cute in a French bulldog puppy sort of way. ;)

On a serious note - with the recent proposed expansive changes to T-1 thru T-2 AA capabilities there just may be a viable remedy to the MP balance issues with Flying Trucks and I am myself thinking of including in my current work with this early AA re-balancing in mind..

Also - I can't quite decipher what you mean by "standard" mods but I do know the very First Mod that introduced the Flying Truck because I helped create it as well as most subsequent mods that included it and based on my access to download statistics for many years i would judge those Mods as both very popular and major. I'm talking tens of thousands of downloads per month which I suspect current statistics don't come close to (as much as 50,000 plus in one month as I recall - that's per mod / map not combining multiple mod-map release #'s).

BTW - putting the VTOL Truck in-game is very easy and takes less than 5 minutes of work - if you can call it that. Until very recently I was not inclined to re-introduce it but now I'm very much leaning towards it. When we first introduced it into the PC version back in September 1999 it was given a specific name in the .pdf file that accompanied that very popular, and major mod-map (because of the sheer amount of new stuff introduced for the first time like twin canons, proximity mines, lava tertile set, cruise missiles, and on and on). It was called "Citadel Elite"... Even half a dozen years after release peeps still spoke of it as one of their all time favorite WZ add-on toys. :)

Avestron wrote:Cyborg transport + cyborg engineer is the closest thing available in game at the moment ^_^
Revelo wrote:This is why we need to bring in Cyborgs with Jetpacks like before.
whippersnapper wrote:
A Vtol Constructor unit is WAY more efficient and capable than both those options.

Btw - Borg Transport + Borg Engineer is stock Pumpkin (at least from v.1.06 forward after the fan community requested it be created) and Borgs with Jump Packs is from the NEWST .v. 1.11 MOD (though it was officially sanctioned by the Pumpkin team, that is, formally in writing before they were disbanded and reformed as Pivotal.)

Regards, whip :cool:
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Why cannot Scavs have a unit equivalent to the Humvee Avenger equipped with a Stinger Missile System ? If there are all sorts of Jeeps and MGs laying around 90 years from now then why not Humvees and Stingers ?

Developed by the United States Army Missile Command as a successor to the Redeye Weapon System, the Stinger missile provides forward, short-range air defense against low-altitude airborne targets. All services have deployed the Stinger missile to protect combat forces, forward bases, and/or high-value targets. The Stinger is launched from a number of platforms: the shoulder-launched Man-portable Air Defense System, Avenger (HMMWV), Bradley Linebacker, Light Amphibious Vehicle - Air Defense (LAV-AD), Kiowa Warrior (OH-58D), and Special Operations Black Hawks (MH-60). The Stinger is intended to fulfill the Short-Range Air Defense (SHORAD) until 2018.

The Stinger system consists of a Stinger round encased in its launch tube and a separate gripstock assembly.

The "fire-and-forget" Stinger missile employs a passive infrared seeker to home in on its airborne target. A passive infrared seeker emits no radiation that a target aircraft can detect, and, instead, guides on the infrared energy (heat) emitted by the target. Because the Stinger employs a passive homing seeker, it is a "fire-and-forget" weapon that needs no guidance from the operator after firing, unlike other missiles that track the reflection of a designator beam, requiring the operator to maintain a lock on the target. This allows a Stinger operator to take cover, relocate, or engage other targets immediately after firing a Stinger.
( Source Page )

Or Scav Troops with Stingers:

new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

you are all thinking a bit too contemporary and by 2085 those will probably be as effective in a military situation as a sling and stones are today let's face it. they will be considered small arms by then why are we limiting ourselves to current technologies?? after all it is the year 2100 the game is set in... how about needle gun scavs? or flachette artillery scavs or maybe rapidfire laser scavs
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Yet you start the game with a standard machine gun. ^_^

I wouldn't be surprised if these are in the same league as kalashnikovs.

As for mortar infantry/ cyborgs - that would be interesting but only if they have to stay in position for firing ^_^
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

well thats because the project hid in a bunker for 15 years like wusses. of course so the scavs New Paradigm, Collective Nexus etc have been out there scavenging and so have proper fire power
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

How about Scav Air Power ?

I like Black Project's Scav Chopper but he hasn't released it yet...

So I've been thinking along the lines of a Two-seater Hummel helicopter equipped with a Hydra-70, M255A1 Flechette Rocket Warhead package: ( Hummel Source Page and Hydra-Rocket Packages Source Page )

new paradigm leader wrote:you are all thinking a bit too contemporary and by 2085 those will probably be as effective in a military situation as a sling and stones are today let's face it. they will be considered small arms by then why are we limiting ourselves to current technologies?? after all it is the year 2100 the game is set in... how about needle gun scavs? or flachette artillery scavs or maybe rapidfire laser scavs
Well the idea is to keep Scavs distinct from the other Factions - doing what you propose would be very easy but would upset the conceptual balance of the game, I think, to the point of why even bother having Scavs.... . However - I have been mulling over a new Game Play Mechanic (GPM) were Scavs could transform into Borgs or could "capture" Borgs to their side....
Avestron wrote:Yet you start the game with a standard machine gun. ^_^
One of quite a few instances where game play fun, internal "story logic" & game genre considerations supersede RL logical sense...... but if the overall "willing suspension of disbelief" is not subverted and you can still fully immerse yourself in the game world, then nothing is lost and all is good - logic be damned !! O_o :D

Last edited by whippersnapper on 17 Aug 2009, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

because allow me to explain myself a touch more clearly: scavs should exist as scavengers pure and simple they take what they want and if anything stands in their way then they kill it, also being that they are survivors of unimaginable horrors (from collective attacks to radiation poisoning) they have a distinct self preservational if slightly paranoid outlook. they are averse to the idea of synaptic link as being inhuman (as a result of collective attacks) and so are a lot more fragile in someways but this ideology held makes them stronger in regards to Nexus...
the use of civilian vehicles is simple: a ruse, fool enemies into a state of false security the strike with the M7-A tanks hidden in a base at sector co ordinates 2,35,69, scav air power would be awesome and what about NON- vtol aircraft such as jets of conventional type used today? also transporters? how is it that the project has massive air transports but cannot build small fighters? eh overanalysis i see your point i just thought to be true the word "scavenger" we would need (esp in T3) to beef up their fire power a lot
XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

Last edited by XANAX on 18 Aug 2009, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

Wow making huge strides there with the scavengers, keep it uP!
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

new paradigm leader wrote:because allow me to explain myself a touch more clearly: scavs should exist as scavengers pure and simple they take what they want and if anything stands in their way then they kill it, also being that they are survivors of unimaginable horrors (from collective attacks to radiation poisoning) they have a distinct self preservational if slightly paranoid outlook. they are averse to the idea of synaptic link as being inhuman (as a result of collective attacks) and so are a lot more fragile in someways but this ideology held makes them stronger in regards to Nexus...
Ahh, ok, I understand. My point of view is very similar and I try to portray that Scav psychology in my stories. That bit with synaptic link aversion or acceptance is key to faction identity, I agree wholeheartedly.
new paradigm leader wrote: the use of civilian vehicles is simple: a ruse, fool enemies into a state of false security the strike with the M7-A tanks hidden in a base at sector co ordinates 2,35,69, scav air power would be awesome and what about NON- vtol aircraft such as jets of conventional type used today? also transporters? how is it that the project has massive air transports but cannot build small fighters? eh overanalysis i see your point i just thought to be true the word "scavenger" we would need (esp in T3) to beef up their fire power a lot
I see and agree. Coincidentally, I have also been looking into transporters for Scavs along the lines of Airships. Once again inspired by D.A.R.P.A. project funding and here are a couple snaps from those projects in RL trial-testing by the Worldwide Aeros Corp. ...

On a practical note - Still trying to figure out how to work-out loading Scavs and Scav Vehicles into a transport, though. One thing i did had hilarious results - it transformed Scav Units into running borg legs whenever they moved from point a to b. Obviously that is not gonna work but it was funny. ;) Back to the drawing board on achieving that end in a more acceptable fashion.

----------------------------------------------------->
XANAX wrote:
I'm back from a model making binge & here they are....
Oh my, sweet new art. :) Binge, indeed ! I can't keep up with ya XANAX - but i'll try. ;)

More inspiration. I love it. Just one thing - I don't do Blender. If I have .Pies files (& your texture .png sheets) to work with like your other art package then I can go from there.

I'm still working on building the "Alien Faction Presence" in WS with your new Area 51 art. There were several ways of going about it and I had to decide what would be best all around especially as it's gonna involve campaign-style scripting to drive it. I think I'm clear on just how to proceed so I hope to have some in-game screens by next weekend of your cool alien structure and unit art in War School. :D

XANAX
Trained
Trained

Post by XANAX »

whippersnapper wrote: Oh my, sweet new art. :) Binge, indeed ! I can't keep up with ya XANAX - but i'll try. ;)

More inspiration. I love it. Just one thing - I don't do Blender. If I have .Pies files (& your texture .png sheets) to work with like your other art package then I can go from there.
I will.. just might take a little while to convert ... hopefully it will work :-S

I'm still working on building the "Alien Faction Presence" in WS with your new Area 51 art. There were several ways of going about it and I had to decide what would be best all around especially as it's gonna involve campaign-style scripting to drive it. I think I'm clear on just how to proceed so I hope to have some in-game screens by next weekend of your cool alien structure and unit art in War School. :D

thanks for the update, this will be awesome xD