SVN is dead, long live git!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

SVN is dead, long live git!

Post by cybersphinx »

We have moved our repository from SVN to git. The main repository called "mainline" is at http://gitorious.org/warzone2100/mainline is at https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100. It contains all the current branches, mainly "master" (what was "trunk" before) and 3.0.

There is a very short introductory wiki page at GitHowto.
skriticos
Greenhorn

Re: SVN is dead, long live git!

Post by skriticos »

That's absolutely great news! *starts cloning*
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

What advantages does git have over SVN?
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
skriticos
Greenhorn

Post by skriticos »

I pulled the sources, installed the dependencies, ran ./configure (successfully) then make. It broke after the first few lines with "gcc: resource_lexer.lex.c: No such file or directory". Also there is some weird output from autorevision on the beginning. Attached log, any ideas?

Commit sha1 ID: aa48d4c0690c8f4115307375bf835bd8872da2ee
Attachments
log.txt
make output
(3.37 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

skriticos wrote:I pulled the sources, installed the dependencies, ran ./configure (successfully) then make. It broke after the first few lines with "gcc: resource_lexer.lex.c: No such file or directory". Also there is some weird output from autorevision on the beginning. Attached log, any ideas?

Commit sha1 ID: aa48d4c0690c8f4115307375bf835bd8872da2ee
Ignore the weird autorevision output.

When I build, I get this:
flex -oresource_lexer.lex.c ../../../lib/framework/resource_lexer.l
bison -y -d -oresource_parser.tab.c ../../../lib/framework/resource_parser.y
flex -ostrres_lexer.lex.c ../../../lib/framework/strres_lexer.l
bison -y -d -ostrres_parser.tab.c ../../../lib/framework/strres_parser.y

And you seem to get this instead:
: -oresource_lexer.lex.c resource_lexer.l
: -oresource_lexer.lex.c resource_lexer.l

I assume you didn't build with "make LEX=:" or anything like that... Maybe someone else can answer...
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

"Easy to Learn"
hum... i think SVN was easier... for me :D.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Delphinio wrote:"Easy to Learn"
"Easy to Learn" is only listed as why Git is better than perforce, whatever perforce is. All the other reasons apply to why Git is better than SVN, though.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

skriticos wrote:I pulled the sources, installed the dependencies, ran ./configure (successfully) then make. It broke after the first few lines with "gcc: resource_lexer.lex.c: No such file or directory". Also there is some weird output from autorevision on the beginning. Attached log, any ideas?
Could you compile SVN on that machine? I don't think anything has changed since then. See also LinuxCompileGuide.
skriticos
Greenhorn

Post by skriticos »

cybersphinx wrote:
Could you compile SVN on that machine? I don't think anything has changed since then. See also LinuxCompileGuide.
Ah, yes. A "sudo apt-get install flex" did the trick. Thanks! Seems the configure script has some problems with the lexer. Maybe the AC_PROG_LEX part in the configure.ac needs some adjustment. Quick googling brought me to http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manua ... grams.html , maybe that could be useful.

~
skriticos
Greenhorn

Post by skriticos »

Cyp wrote:
"Easy to Learn" is only listed as why Git is better than perforce, whatever perforce is. All the other reasons apply to why Git is better than SVN, though.
Perforce is a commercial revision control system. I know that Google is using it internally (ironically form a git intro video; from an answer to one of Linus's questions at Google Tech Talks - youtube :p).

There are some places where git might not be optimal, like in enterprizy environments in which you want to revision your entire Desktop. Perforce is kind of a hybrid between centralized and distributed revision control, so it fares in big binary blob situations better. If you have to ask though, it's probably not one of your problems.

For most everything else git is quite an excellent choice. It's the fastest around (fast meaning traversing the data structures, most of the operations on your local git repository are within the time frame of only very few seconds).

Also it's very well supported and has a large community.

Otherwise refer to the previous poster about the advantages, the link looks very good.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

svn is far easier to understand / introduce to new people, but our repo just got too huge, and productivity was going down.
git is far harder to grasp, and has cryptic error messages. It does increase productivity though. Too bad there isn't a good GUI for it yet. Git-gui is minimal, tortoiseGit is unstable.
hg is more ... forgiving, and has a good GUI.

Wait, what was the question ? :lol2:
and it ends here.
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

Cyp wrote:
Ive seen that, but i dont understand it anyway.
I know that i have to clone the mainline... aaaand pull to my os?
Create a reprository there and start commiting?... somehow... i dont know :lol2:.

-- Delphinio
skriticos
Greenhorn

Post by skriticos »

For anyone coming from SVN, there is a good command crash course at http://git-scm.com/course/svn.html .
mcdebugger
Trained
Trained

Post by mcdebugger »

WOW! This is so great! The thing everybody waited for :)
Long live Git!