New website design

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

New website design

Post by Zarel »

I've been working the last few days on a new design for the Warzone 2100 website, in preparation for the 2.3 release. I've already rolled it out to the home page, Addons, and Guide pages, and I'm working on updating the rest of the site over the coming few days.
Screen shot 2010-04-24 at 4.38.58 PM.png
And yes, this means that 2.3.0 will be released very soon now. ;) Stay tuned!
grim4593
New user

Re: New website design

Post by grim4593 »

Just piping up to say I love the new front page layout.
Sraer
New user

Post by Sraer »

I love it! Much more interesting than the last one
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

Zarel, one bug that has been eating at me for some time now is that there are about 3 pixels at the top of the image transparency thingy at the top of the page that are not covered by the overlay.

-regards macuser
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

macuser wrote:Zarel, one bug that has been eating at me for some time now is that there are about 3 pixels at the top of the image transparency thingy at the top of the page that are not covered by the overlay.
That's not a bug, that was an attempt at a gloss effect that didn't work. ;) It'll be removed in a few hours.
natbob1
Trained
Trained

Post by natbob1 »

Looks great!
some1
New user

Post by some1 »

May I suggest giving the current 2.2 and 2.3 versions on the frontpage the labels "stable" and "testing" or something like that? I wouldn't expect users to understand what RC1a means :)
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

@Zarel

Great work BTW on the new header design!

I would suggest adding some text to the lobby server page. When there are no games in the lobby (i.e. waiting for players), the lobby server web page looks something like a web server error, since the main body area is just blank. To a potential new WZ player, this web page could make the game appear unpopular when no games are listed. So use some of the white space to educate and market the game, and its community. There isn't even a description of what the lobby server actually is.

Post a paragraph explaining to users that the lobby server web page lists only games that have not yet started and are currently waiting for enough players to join. Mention something about version compatibility. Also mention that once a multiplayer game starts and is in-progress, it will no longer be listed in the lobby server. It would also be fair to mention that during peak times there could actually be several multiplayer games in-progress that are not shown and to check back often.

As a future idea, post on this page when the busiest times are for MP games, based upon your web logs, so new people have an idea when they are more likely to find other WZ players online.

It would also be helpful to list a link to the Warzone IRC Channel, where they can chat with other WZ fans. In fact, this page might even rate it's own tab in your new site motif.
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

some1 wrote:May I suggest giving the current 2.2 and 2.3 versions on the frontpage the labels "stable" and "testing" or something like that? I wouldn't expect users to understand what RC1a means :)
Good idea. Now they're "Download" and "Try testing version". How's that? :)
KenAlcock wrote:I would suggest adding some text to the lobby server page. When there are no games in the lobby (i.e. waiting for players), the lobby server web page looks something like a web server error, since the main body area is just blank. To a potential new WZ player, this web page could make the game appear unpopular when no games are listed. So use some of the white space to educate and market the game, and its community. There isn't even a description of what the lobby server actually is.
Unfortunately, the lobby server page is written in Python, which means I really can't do anything about it. :( The best I think I can do is scrape it, which I might at some point.
KenAlcock wrote:It would also be helpful to list a link to the Warzone IRC Channel, where they can chat with other WZ fans. In fact, this page might even rate it's own tab in your new site motif.
I'm still thinking about how to mention it...
some1
New user

Post by some1 »

Zarel wrote:
some1 wrote:May I suggest giving the current 2.2 and 2.3 versions on the frontpage the labels "stable" and "testing" or something like that? I wouldn't expect users to understand what RC1a means :)
Good idea. Now they're "Download" and "Test". How's that? :)
A little bit better, but perhaps still a bit confusing in my opinion. You want to explain that one is the recommended stable version. Calling that one 'Download' doesn't really capture that message. The other version is the version that you would like people to test and receive constructive feedback about. This version will probably contain more bugs than the current stable version. Users other than those that are going to provide constructive feedback should use stable. This one is usually referred to as: 'testing', 'unstable', 'beta', 'bleeding edge', 'this may eat your cat', etc (pick anything you like). I still think that the current headers are confusing to a new user. If you don't like this distinction, maybe you could use a Play/Test distinction (more in line with the current setup).

EDIT: oh, I just noticed a change. This Download / Try testing version that there is now is pretty clear IMHO, good job :)
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Zarel wrote: Unfortunately, the lobby server page is written in Python, which means I really can't do anything about it. :( The best I think I can do is scrape it, which I might at some point.
I wish to make that page in java, instead of python. I'll see what I can do, but I don't promise anything.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

Terminator wrote:I wish to make that page in java, instead of python. I'll see what I can do, but I don't promise anything.
Please don't. I won't setup a Tomcat or something similar just for that. It would also work with PHP as well.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
gesierfou
Greenhorn

Post by gesierfou »

I love the new front page web site.
Very interesting for new player on this game.
This new presentation add more professionalism to the GREAT Warzone 2100.
Thanks to all the equip to offer the best str game !
theArmourer
Trained
Trained

Post by theArmourer »

Thumbs up. XD
~theArmourer
mcdebugger
Trained
Trained

Post by mcdebugger »

Looks great! I was surprised when I came for site with the new design )